First Event Prep

Discussion of anything that doesn't fall into the Solo II and RallyX Categories
red88rex

First Event Prep

Post by red88rex »

Ok, next Sunday is my first event. Let's make sure I don't forget anything.

I'm entering NSM2 in my barely-modded '88 CRX (not counting the engine swap).

I've taken out my passenger seat and I'm going to make sure there are no loose items in the car.

All bare wires from my stereo removal are taped at the ends, taped in a bundle, and secured.

Battery _will be_ securly tied down.

All fluids (engine, transmission, coolant, etc...) changed.

Two digital cameras for plenty of pictures.

Seat belts work.

Four quarts of lemon-lime Powerade in cooler.

Brake pedal firm and fluid full.

Lightweight, comfortable shoes with thin and narrow soles.

13" wheels with R-compounds loaded and ready for swap upon arrival. 50psi in the front and 25psi in the rear. (Thanks again firingon4) No cords showing and plenty of tread to get through the event.

Hydraulic jack, torque wrench, and socket set loaded.

Registered for event online.

No fluid leaks.

Suspension tight and in good repair.

4-5 gallons of good gas in tank.

Alignment good (zero'd for the street). Camber is 1° positive but I can't fix it since there is no adjustment.

Snell '95 helmet.

Girlfriend for moral support and friend for mechanical assistance present.

Attitude in check and goals reasonable.

Is there anything else I'm forgetting? Thanks for any help!

edit: Changed Saturday to Sunday. Duh.
Last edited by red88rex on Mon Jul 12, 2004 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
1988 CRX DX. d16y7/91 SI swap
"Speed is just a matter of money. I'm low on both."
EliseAutoXr

Post by EliseAutoXr »

You have seriously done your homework :shock: !! I found it nice to come with my own class/numbers (and some way to affix them to my car), that seems to reduce some of the chaos. BTW, you said you registered online... how did you do that? My link is still for OR and when I do a search on "MyAutoEvents", it says there are none in our area... maybe I have missed something. Anyway, good luck on Sunday, we will see you there!
Bradley Allen
STM 7
06 Lotus Elise (some stock)
Mark McCrary

Post by Mark McCrary »

I am not one to see anything about tire pressure especially on a front wheels drive car but 50 F and 25 R sounds a little funky. Maybe someone could tell him it that is the right tire pressure. I could be for what I know. But glad to here that we have a newbie. Good luck and have fun. Remember to show up early so you can walk the course many times.
See you there,
Mark McCrary
2004 Mazda RX-8 C-Street
MARKP

Post by MARKP »

Mark McCrary wrote:I am not one to see anything about tire pressure especially on a front wheels drive car but 50 F and 25 R sounds a little funky. Maybe someone could tell him it that is the right tire pressure.
Sounds like a good starting point to me, with race tires.

I don't think there is anything you have overlooked. Good job on researching what you will need! Oh, you may want to bring sunscreen.
Mark Pilson
03 Z06 - Sword
09 Mustang - Club
01 Excursion - The safe you dropped from the 10th story
scottgib

Post by scottgib »

Where is that first event on Saturday? Ours is on Sunday at Comcast.

You also have time to get some numbers or make some. See the sticky post on this subject.

Good luck. Walk the course until you can do it in your head with your eyes closed, braking points included.

:lol:
Old men can still dream!

Scott Gibson
red88rex

Post by red88rex »

General screw up on my part... I meant Sunday. I'm a dunce.
red88rex

Post by red88rex »

SlowS2K wrote:I found it nice to come with my own class/numbers (and some way to affix them to my car), that seems to reduce some of the chaos. BTW, you said you registered online...
Perhaps "will register online" would be more appropriate.

Also, when will I know what number I'll be? I don't have any problem getting some magnetic decals for my class but I've no idea what number to get.
MARKP wrote:Sounds like a good starting point to me, with race tires.

I don't think there is anything you have overlooked. Good job on researching what you will need! Oh, you may want to bring sunscreen.
I've had a good mentor. Firingon4 has pretty much held my hand up to this point. He's a good fella and since he runs a similar car, a lot of the knowledge transfers well. The only major difference between them is my new engine and his hella suspension. Plus he sold me some cheap R-compounds and gave me the knowledge on where to get more. I've never driven on race tires so this should be exciting.

I'm really looking forward to feeling the body roll without the excitement of a "driving too fast for conditions" citation.

Thanks for all the help so far!
tscott

Post by tscott »

Look through the SM2 results and you can see what numbers are taken in that class. Obviously, do not use any of those numbers (especially 58, since it is mine!!!) Also try to stick with 2 digit numbers and don't use a zero as your first number.
Tyler Scott
TedV

Re: First Event Prep

Post by TedV »

red88rex wrote: I've taken out my passenger seat
In SM you have to have both front seats. They don't have to be stock, just able to hold an adult and allow them to drive while seated in it. It also makes it more comfy for the more experienced drivers to ride along and give you some pointers.
Ted V.
don't make me list all my VW's
firingonfour

Post by firingonfour »

When you changed the transmission "fluid" you replaced it with engine oil right? Those hondas just use plain old 10w30 (pretty sure that's the right weight). Just checking.

BTW-last year's autocross and road race compounds from Hoosier just went on discontinued pricing. Call Appalachian Race Tire (they're such a great deal). :twisted:
red88rex

Re: First Event Prep

Post by red88rex »

TedV wrote: In SM you have to have both front seats.
Gah! Well, I guess I'm reinstalling it tomrrow then...
red88rex

Post by red88rex »

firingonfour wrote:When you changed the transmission "fluid" you replaced it with engine oil right?
Yep. I have a hookup with a local lube shop and I get the car taken care of correctly.
firingonfour

Post by firingonfour »

just checkin'