Which class for my new and improved Sube?

Discussion of anything that doesn't fall into the Solo II and RallyX Categories
OvenMitts

Which class for my new and improved Sube?

Post by OvenMitts »

I just want to be sure I get into the right class, gonna try to make the next Oak Ridge event..
It's a 96 Subaru Impreza 1.8L
with a complete WRX drivetrain :D
I think it'll do a little better than my poor, old, smoking 1.8 did. I'm pretty sure I can get it running before next sunday. Anyways, I'm thinking either ESP or FSP. Any help?
thanks, -matt
Matt Tomlinson
1996 Subenstein
2002 Golf TDI
thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

What did you use for a crossmember?

I am quite certain it is SM for you....maybe even beyond that because I have heard that if you can't put the engine on the stock crossmember and have to modify it, it is considered modifying the chassis, which isn't SM legal.

This is all hearsay and others here know the rules better than me.
Chris Harp
2009 Mazda RX-8 | 2018 Toyota Tundra | 2011 BMW M3
MARKP

Post by MARKP »

I doubt you would be SP legal. In order for the swap to be SP legal, both the 1.8L car and the WRX would have to be on the same line in the rulebook. I don't have the rulebook handy but I don't think they are even in the same class, let alone the same line.

I'm a little less familiar with the SM rules but I would think you would be ok in SM as long as you didn't do any heavy modifications to get the drivetrain to fit. Chris may have a valid point about the crossmember but I would think the WRX crossmember would bolt in, which should be fine according to the rules.

If you need a better answer, maybe someone has their rulebook handy.
Mark Pilson
03 Z06 - Sword
09 Mustang - Club
01 Excursion - The safe you dropped from the 10th story
TedV

Post by TedV »

Welcome to the jungle!! It’s SM for you.

Per rule book 16.1O allows minor notching, grinding, clearancing, etc to facilitate the installation of allowed parts. As long as there is no intrinsic performance gain in and of itself, does not provide a weight reduction of more than 1 pound, and is not explicitly prohibited elsewhere within the rules.

WRX is in ESP, 1.8L Impreza is in FSP
Ted V.
don't make me list all my VW's
OvenMitts

Post by OvenMitts »

Hooray for SM! I can't wait.
Thanks for the help
Matt Tomlinson
1996 Subenstein
2002 Golf TDI