iRacing is so cool.

Discussion of anything that doesn't fall into the Solo II and RallyX Categories
lcoleman

Re: iRacing is so cool.

Post by lcoleman »

I'm sure James would like me to quit piggybacking his account, so if no one else wants it, I'd love to make use of it.
Lucas Coleman STM #72
thrdeye

Anyone have access to a CNC Router?

Post by thrdeye »

Over the next several weeks, I'm going to begin building this sim racing cockpit and one would come in very handy.
Chris Harp
2009 Mazda RX-8 | 2018 Toyota Tundra | 2011 BMW M3
TennTechMan

Re: Anyone have access to a CNC Router?

Post by TennTechMan »

What are you looking for? I might know some people...
Aaron Carroll

STM 11 - 91 Geo Metro
Lead Engineer of the Knoxvegas Lowballers
jdpeterson21

Post by jdpeterson21 »

Have you considered extruded aluminum? Good rigidity and adjustability - looks much cleaner than plywood/MDF too.

I've got right around $100 in my setup and it works well enough.
Jed Peterson
Knox MSP

Post by Knox MSP »

Contact Chris Waters on Knoxville Car Enthusiasts. He works at a machine shop, and I mentioned you to him a few minutes ago, and he said he'd be happy to help. Just PM him on Facebook.
Joe Delligatti
2003 Mazda Mazdaspeed Protege
#46 SM
01badz28

Post by 01badz28 »

thrdeye wrote:Over the next several weeks, I'm going to begin building this sim racing cockpit and one would come in very handy.
I have a family friend that has done some good work for me in the past making pieces for the Camaro. I can text you his number if you are interested.
Ryan E. Jarrard
2001 Camaro Z28, SM #24
2011 BMW M3 Coupe
1989 BMW M3
TedV

Post by TedV »

Sure you don't just need a regular router? I looked over the page with this mornings coffee.. jigsaw, skill saw, sander and a regular router to round the wooden edges. Unless he sends you the drawings in the stp or whatever file format the cnc uses programing in all those cuts will cost ya. Course I could misunderstand ya here.

You are gonna test fit your big self in that rig as ya go to make sure it fits comfortable, right? I didn't look close enough to see if the guy has a "if you are this big, cut to this line" portion of the instructions.

It will be SWEET when you get it done. :rockon:

::edit:: Doh!! First sentence says it is size customisable. Coffee hadn't kicked in yet. :oops: :lol:
Ted V.
don't make me list all my VW's
thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

jdpeterson21 wrote:Have you considered extruded aluminum? Good rigidity and adjustability - looks much cleaner than plywood/MDF too.

I've got right around $100 in my setup and it works well enough.
Metal rigs have a few drawbacks for me.

1) They transmit vibration and sound in a less natural way
2) They usually don't end up looking as good if you are DIY'ing
3) I can make the wooden one look like a nice piece of furniture....I'm going to primer it and paint it gloss black probably.
4) As my needs change, the wooden one should be easier to modify.

This should be about $125 all said and done, including the MSP seat that I have.
Chris Harp
thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

TedV wrote:Sure you don't just need a regular router? I looked over the page with this mornings coffee.. jigsaw, skill saw, sander and a regular router to round the wooden edges. Unless he sends you the drawings in the stp or whatever file format the cnc uses programing in all those cuts will cost ya. Course I could misunderstand ya here.

You are gonna test fit your big self in that rig as ya go to make sure it fits comfortable, right? I didn't look close enough to see if the guy has a "if you are this big, cut to this line" portion of the instructions.

It will be SWEET when you get it done. :rockon:

::edit:: Doh!! First sentence says it is size customisable. Coffee hadn't kicked in yet. :oops: :lol:
I am wanting to add some style to it. I might just do it with decals, but if someone was good with a CNC setup, I'd try something like this except with and iRacing logo, ETRSCCA logo, etc.

Right now, I'm weighing options for the triple monitor setup. Although I could probably rig something on the cheap, I think I'll spend the $50/ea on the articulating stands and setup the monitors like this (see the "ears" on the monitor platform):

Chris Harp
MikeKelly

Post by MikeKelly »

thrdeye wrote:I am wanting to add some style to it. I might just do it with decals, but if someone was good with a CNC setup, I'd try something like this except with and iRacing logo, ETRSCCA logo, etc.
I'm thinking you'd probably be forgiven for not autocrossing next year if you...

Build multiples (maybe 4 or 5), figure out how to link them all, and have all nite beerfest internet racing parties at your house.

Heh, it would probably get you voted "most popular" in the region...

All for less than a new set of A6s...

Just trying to be helpful + supportive,

Mike :pirate:
Mike Kelly
"Still got the shovel..."
--Mr. Rate
thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

MikeKelly wrote:
thrdeye wrote:I am wanting to add some style to it. I might just do it with decals, but if someone was good with a CNC setup, I'd try something like this except with and iRacing logo, ETRSCCA logo, etc.
I'm thinking you'd probably be forgiven for not autocrossing next year if you...

Build multiples (maybe 4 or 5), figure out how to link them all, and have all nite beerfest internet racing parties at your house.

Heh, it would probably get you voted "most popular" in the region...

All for the price of about 12 sets of A6's

Just trying to be helpful + supportive,

Mike :pirate:
Thanks and fixed (you consider the pc, wheel/pedals, monitors)
Chris Harp
MikeKelly

Post by MikeKelly »

Mike Kelly
"Still got the shovel..."
--Mr. Rate
ke0ki2k

Post by ke0ki2k »

MikeKelly wrote:Just trying to help. :mrgreen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KuStsFW4EmQ
:lol2:

meh @ 3 monitor setup. I've done well in iRacing with a 19" monitor and a cheap Driving Force GT wheel. of course.. I would have made less contact over my career with peripheral vision provided by a 3-screen setup... but none of it is required to go fast.
James Cathers - PFS #192 E92 M3 | TT4 E36 M3
oldmuscle69

Post by oldmuscle69 »

Are you thinking F1 or just road racing a vid game ? Ya'll got too much free time.
Bob Colbert
TedV

Post by TedV »

Chris, here is what rFactor 2 beta can do. Try not to be distracted by the hot air balloons. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bW9Uo0qu ... _embedded#
Ted V.
don't make me list all my VW's