Class question

Discussion of anything that doesn't fall into the Solo II and RallyX Categories
Dentspeed

Re: Class question

Post by Dentspeed »

Hey, I think FWD is fun...different, but fun.
2010 MINI Cooper S, DS
Trey
MARKP

Post by MARKP »

scottgib wrote: You can change the front but not the back bar. This seriously helps the RWD cars relative those with FWD.
Every FWD car I have campaigned has had a different front bar except one. I believe some of your Mini bretheren have taken a liking to that rule.
Mark Pilson
03 Z06 - Sword
09 Mustang - Club
01 Excursion - The safe you dropped from the 10th story
gbwrx

Post by gbwrx »

scottgib wrote:One can get rather frustrated trying to find fairness in the rules.

The stock sway bar rule is an example. You can change the front but not the back bar. This seriously helps the RWD cars relative those with FWD.
It helps AWD also.
2013 WRX
scottgib

Post by scottgib »

The fast ones have generally installed the light weight one off a non-S, so the rear one has more effect.
Old men can still dream!

Scott Gibson
eunos735

Post by eunos735 »

jbarker52 wrote:I see in the rules it is ASP, but I do not understand why an Elise with a added SC is put in SSM with the same suspension, same sc, seems like it would be fair to be in SSM for the Exige? Does any one know the reason for the difference?
It's kind of the same way with the Miata's. A Mazdaspeed Miata with a Turbo from the factory and simple bolt ons runs in BSP where as if you were to take the EXACT same turbo off a Mazdaspeed and put it on a base model Miata it would have to run in SSM.

It does kind of suck having a car that "falls into a class" rather than one it can be competitive in.
SSM 96/196
Dentspeed

Post by Dentspeed »

scottgib wrote:The fast ones have generally installed the light weight one off a non-S, so the rear one has more effect.
That's still changing it though, just not to a stiffer one. :D
2010 MINI Cooper S, DS
Trey
steverife

Post by steverife »

eunos735 wrote:
jbarker52 wrote:I see in the rules it is ASP, but I do not understand why an Elise with a added SC is put in SSM with the same suspension, same sc, seems like it would be fair to be in SSM for the Exige? Does any one know the reason for the difference?
It's kind of the same way with the Miata's. A Mazdaspeed Miata with a Turbo from the factory and simple bolt ons runs in BSP where as if you were to take the EXACT same turbo off a Mazdaspeed and put it on a base model Miata it would have to run in SSM.

It does kind of suck having a car that "falls into a class" rather than one it can be competitive in.
If you took off the exact same turbo and put it on a base Miata, you'd end up with a MUCH lighter car with better gearing choices.
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
eunos735

Post by eunos735 »

steverife wrote:
eunos735 wrote:

If you took off the exact same turbo and put it on a base Miata, you'd end up with a MUCH lighter car with better gearing choices.
Not to split hairs but a 2004 Base Miata weighed 2440 and the 2004 Mazda Speed weighed 2529. That 89 lbs I'm sure was comprised almost 100% by the turbo, manifold, intercooler and down pipe. The 2004 Mazda Speed came with the same 6 speed that was an option on the non turbo Miatas and depending on choice of transmission could be had with the same 4.10:1 gear ratio as the Mazdaspeed. So you really end up with a car that weighs about the same with possibly the same gearing and transmission and a vastly inferior suspension and are forced to run in a different class. Just an observation. Makes me wonder why more people with boosted Miatas aren't just buy "Speeds" and racing them in BSP.
SSM 96/196
eunos735

Post by eunos735 »

Double Post
SSM 96/196
steverife

Post by steverife »

Well, I was thinking CSP Miata versus BSP Miata. A prepped CSP car is 400 lbs lighter.
'16 FRS - PSTX 97