Need Input From Local Autocrossers

Discussion of anything that doesn't fall into the Solo II and RallyX Categories
disneyd
Site Admin

Need Input From Local Autocrossers

Post by disneyd »

I'm in the process of compiling an ETRSCCA FAQ and I would like to get input from everyone.

I'm really just looking for information that applies to our region. I'm looking for things you wish you'd known (or been told) about autocrossing with the ETR region when you first started.

Check out the Solo II Novice Handbook. We don't want to heavily duplicate any information that's in there.

Right now, I have the following items I'm going to elaborate on in the ETR FAQ:

Helmets
- Loaners are available
- Buying - What kind to get (Snell Ratings, Requirements, etc.)
- Where to buy (online and local)

When to Arrive
- pointer to our event schedule with emphasis on showing up in time to walk the course and get teched/registered before tech/reg closes

Novice Info
- Novice Walkthroughs
- Novice Class

PAX
- What is it

Car Numbers
- When you need them
- Where to get them (locally and internet)
- Specifications (size, etc.)

Joining
- Where to get the forms
- price
- how to join

I also thought about throwing in sections on tires and car classing... but I'm afraid that could turn into a whole book instead of a FAQ. Any opinions?

Also, feel free to expound on any of the topics I've listed above... I'm sure I'll leave out something when writing those sections.
- Dave Disney
MARKP

Post by MARKP »

Some basic tech info would probably be good such as adding extra air to tires and being sure your battery is bolted down securely.
Mark Pilson
03 Z06 - Sword
09 Mustang - Club
01 Excursion - The safe you dropped from the 10th story
tscott

Post by tscott »

A link to some class info would be good. I think a lot of the other important information is covered in the driver's meetings.
Tyler Scott
scottgib

Post by scottgib »

I second Mark's suggestion but would make it more comprehensive. I get tired of talking about floor mats, wheel covers, and loose crap.

a. Tires - no cord showing and inflated above normal road pressures to prevent excessive roll. (If unsure, start with 35-40 psi and inspect after first run. An experience autocrosser can help you determine the the proper amount of roll.)
b. Wheel bearings, shocks, steering, and suspension in good operating
condition.
c. Seat belts in good operating condition.
d. Brakes - firm pedal with no detectable drop with car not running and proper level of fluid in reservoir.
e. All loose items removed.
f. Hub caps and wheel rings removed.
g. All lugs present and tight.
h. Throttle return action safe and positive.
i. No excessive fluid leaks.
J. Battery securely bolted down. (most common serious problem)
k. Acceptable numbers and class designation on both sides of car.
Old men can still dream!

Scott Gibson
scottgib

Post by scottgib »

Here is a link to Mouton's site. It does not have 2004 updates yet, but probably will soon.

http://mouton.best.vwh.net/sccasolo/
Old men can still dream!

Scott Gibson
disneyd
Site Admin

Post by disneyd »

I may contact Mouton's and see if we can just link to their classing information.

As far as tech... since I don't run it, I don't know the common issues you guys run in to while running tech. Why don't those of you who run tech get together and compile that portion of the FAQ? If Scott's post covers everything, let me know and I'll just use that and fill in a little from the rulebook.
- Dave Disney
JW

Post by JW »

Last edited by JW on Thu May 14, 2015 7:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

I know I was really confused when it came to gridding at my first event....kind of chaotic. Maybe that should be mentioned.

I think the faq would be good if it was set up in the order that things happen, and just describe a how each works.

example.

Wake up and go get air in your tires.

The first thing that you will need to do once you arrive at the site, is get registered. For this you wil need blah blah blah.

After registration go get your car tech'd. During tech, some guy wil check out your car and make sure it is not a POS.

Once that is finished, you will ned to walk around the course so you don't get lost.

Then some guy will sign you up and try to make you work. If you don't work, he will get mad and tell you to go home or go to the drag strip or something with all the other lazy ricers. If you do a burnout after he tells you to leave, you will be thrown in the clink.

Anyway, you see what I mean.

I think it would be neat.
Chris Harp
2009 Mazda RX-8 | 2018 Toyota Tundra | 2011 BMW M3
Leadfoot

Post by Leadfoot »

Yes, detailed chronological breakdowns would have been handy. What to do the night before, what to do in the morning, what to do when you get to the site, .... Also, what to bring, what not to bring, when to eat. None of this is hard, but it's easy to miss something important...

Also, include the frequency of the FM broadcasts.

I was fortunate enough to hook up with someone who showed me the ropes. There should be a way for newbies, especially virgins, to find a mentor, preferably someone with a similar type of vehicle.

Finally, remind people to try to relax and have fun.