Rules on battery relocation?

Discussion of anything that doesn't fall into the Solo II and RallyX Categories
CMS-GT4

Rules on battery relocation?

Post by CMS-GT4 »

I will be running SM in a 92 celica alltrac. I am going to have a front mount intercooler kit installed this week, and they need to relocate my battery to fit the piping. Is it allowed by scca rules to relocate the battery to the trunk?
I apreciate any help. I need to verify this quickly, just in case I need to find other means of mounting the battery.

thanks,
JC
Coldiron (Cold - Iron)
92' Celica alltrac: in final stages of rebuild
03' Z: Grocery Gitter
Mark McCrary

Post by Mark McCrary »

I do not have the rule book right this minute but I am 99.9% sure you can put it in the trunk.
Wish I was 100%
Mark McCrary
2004 Mazda RX-8 C-Street
scottgib

Post by scottgib »

Yes it is legal to move the battery to the trunk in SM. Just make sure it is securely bolted down. I would recommend a plastic marine battery box. This may save you from corrosion and protect other things in your trunk. Also, unless it is a spiral wound type like Optima, there is the issue with a vent. Some batteries may spill a small amount of acid in autocrossing and you probably want to control where it goes.

The battery needs to be bolted down to the car independent of how the box is held in place.

Remember to use big wire to compensate for the added distance to the starter.
Old men can still dream!

Scott Gibson
MARKP

Post by MARKP »

Not only is the battery box recommended. It is required for batteries in a non stock location, if I remember correctly.
Mark Pilson
03 Z06 - Sword
09 Mustang - Club
01 Excursion - The safe you dropped from the 10th story
scottgib

Post by scottgib »

Mark, you are correct unless it is a gel cell such as an Optima. The positive terminal has to be insulated whether a gel cell or not.
Old men can still dream!

Scott Gibson
steverife

Post by steverife »

yeah, definitely want to control where that acid goes.

i had the battery tip over under hard acceleration on my old monte carlo and within minutes, it turned a few small spots on pelissippi parkway into powder :shock:
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
TnCobra

Post by TnCobra »

I would recomend a external battery cutoff switch also. If its not already in the rule book. Most racing sanctions require it.

Ditto about the Optima. You will want a non-vented battery. Red Top is the way to go. Seen them as low as $79.
Frank
tscott

Post by tscott »

TnCobra wrote:Ditto about the Optima. You will want a non-vented battery. Red Top is the way to go. Seen them as low as $79.
Where??? That is a hell of a deal!
Tyler Scott
CMS-GT4

Post by CMS-GT4 »

If I have to switch to the optima battery then I will just keep it in under the hood, since they are so small. I just have to push the bracket back where the air box used to be.

Has anyone used an optima battery? How long do they live?
And where is that deal at?
Coldiron (Cold - Iron)
92' Celica alltrac: in final stages of rebuild
03' Z: Grocery Gitter
disneyd
Site Admin

Post by disneyd »

I'd like to know where the deal is too....

Anyway, the Optima red top batteries I've been using aren't really any smaller than a normal battery, but they will just about last forever (8+ years), can't leak, aren't affected by vibration, and can be run down completely and recharged many times without harming them (a couple of complete discharges will usually kill a regular battery, or at least drastically shorten its life). I've used them for years and currently have one in my '93 rx-7 thats been in there for 5 years.

If you want a small battery, I'm using a sealed gel battery for a Miata in my Locost. In my opinion, its the best trade-off for size vs cranking power. Its quite a bit smaller that a regular car battery, but not super small. I can get you dimensions and a vendor if you want, I'll just have to pull out my receipts. I think it was $75 or so and about 550 cold cranking amps.
- Dave Disney
tnturbo

Post by tnturbo »

I use a small battery in my car at the track as well. It is a Hawker PC680 7" L x 3-1/16" W x 6-5/8" H weighs around 13lbs. Starts my V8 just fine. I've run it everday for a couple weeks at a time with no problems. This is the exact same battery as the Dyna Batt that is advertised in some car mags only cheaper. It is also available as a PC680MJ with a metal jacket enclosure for a few dollars more. I paid $90 for mine with SAE automotive terminals
Jeff Miller
disneyd
Site Admin

Post by disneyd »

I know several people who have used the Hawker Genesis battery in their 3rd gen Rx-7s (relocated the battery to the storage bin behind the driver's seat). From the dimensions, it sounds like the same battery TNTurbo was talking about. I haven't heard that anyone has had one die any earlier than a regular battery (2 to 3 years), but, in the Rx-7's anyway, if the car doesn't start quickly (if its flooded, cold-natured, etc.), the battery won't crank it for long. Also, leaving the lights on for even short periods will drain it quickly. The extra long positive cable required for the relocation probably doesn't help much either. I'm impressed that the Hawker will crank a V8 though... but I'd still vote for the Miata battery in a daily driver. I think mine is 19 pounds or so.
- Dave Disney
TnCobra

Post by TnCobra »

The $79 I was referring to was a Jegs special last summer. Plus shipping.

There is a booth at the Great Smokey Mtn Flea Market off the #407 exit that deals batteries, (Inside back left.) Seems he can beat about anything. I only spoke briefly to his wife working the booth one day in the fall. I can't remember the price on their Red Top. The nice lady there said they would match prices. They also carry Delco, etc. I do not know these people and only spoke with them briefly.

Heck, how bout a group buy?

If I get a chance, I'll go in this weekend and check, if you guys want.
Frank
TnCobra

Post by TnCobra »

I went to the flea market and spoke with the battery guy. Seems he supplies Hot Rod Barn and some other local stores. He is a Delco dealer.

I learned there are 7 different Red Top batteries out there. The full size one I would need cost $139.00 tax included. He will do 4 of these at $120.00 each. These have 980 cranking amps, 800 Cold cranking amps.

He also sells the smaller in size, but has 980 CA, 800 CCA. That fit Civics etc. His price is between $100-105.00 tax included. May go lower on group buy.

Anyone interested?
Frank
scottgib

Post by scottgib »

I did a search last year for the best price on Optima batteries and ended up buying from Pep Boys. They were much less than the other dealers. Seems as though we got the big one for $110 or so, although that was last year. Might be worth a call. The battery is a 34/37.
Old men can still dream!

Scott Gibson