Anyone going to Daytona for the 24 hour race?

Discussion of anything that doesn't fall into the Solo II and RallyX Categories
MGracer

Anyone going to Daytona for the 24 hour race?

Post by MGracer »

Just wanted to see if anyone else is going to the 24 Hours of Daytona next weekend. I'll be hanging around the Grassroots Motorsports tent all weekend. Its always a good time if you've never been, definitely worth making the trip once. Hopefully I'll get to actually race in it some time soon :rockon: :rockon:

Stirling H.
EP MGBGT
FP MGA
FF Zink Z10c
integra55

Re: Anyone going to Daytona for the 24 hour race?

Post by integra55 »

I should be there.... although there is the prediction of "winter weather" for Tue and Wed here.... could put a crimp in my travel timing .... if all goes as I hope I'll leave sometime Wed morning and be at the track / GRM tent from Thur morning on...... :D
“The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.”

walter jones
'91 civic CRX, Ford F150, '14 Chevy Sonic

828-686-3245
whenry

Post by whenry »

Debbie and I will be there. GRM passes for the full weekend. Not sure whether to tell you to look for the GTO or the MS6 depending on what the weather forecast is for the return trip. I can tell you to look for us at the start of the race in the small grandstands where the track transitions from the infield back to the oval. Sensory overload; bring ear plugs.
John and Jennifer Snook will also be there but I dont know their schedule.
Wayne Henry
East Tenn Region, SCCA
2006 MX-5 Limited
the rest of the garage:
1984 Mazda RX-7 GSL-SE
1996 Toyota 4runner
Wheelman_13

Post by Wheelman_13 »

whenry wrote: in the small grandstands where the track transitions from the infield back to the oval.
That really is the best place to watch from. You'll be able to follow a car for probably more than 3/4 of a lap. You'll even be able to see the bus-stop with even a small pair of binoculars. The only thing you'd miss would be any turn-1 divebombs.

Basically what you can see from there:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v73qj40EFf8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-dEtwNpOvU
Richard Graves
1992 Acura NSX
2004 Lamborghini Gallardo
youtube.com/lapoftheworld
whenry

Post by whenry »

Especially for the start of the race. It is fun to get the sensation of speed to go the Speedway grandstands but for the major portion of the race, I just walk back and forth between the infield grandstands with a few rounds of the paddock as cars begin to have problems and come in for major repairs.
Wayne Henry
East Tenn Region, SCCA
2006 MX-5 Limited
the rest of the garage:
1984 Mazda RX-7 GSL-SE
1996 Toyota 4runner
Mike998

Post by Mike998 »

I'll be there as well. We tend to mill around the GRM area on Friday before watching the support race. I've always liked watching the cars pull out onto the grid before the race. Checking out the paddock area after dark is also pretty cool.
Black 94 Miata
STS (or STR) 98 (Depends on how I'm feeling)
whenry

Post by whenry »

Yeah, Debbie likes to driver watch on the Grid before the race then we walk at a brisk pace to the far end of the infield to watch the start. The best place to watch the finish is from pit lane if you can sneak into one of the abandoned stalls or so I hear.
Wayne Henry
East Tenn Region, SCCA
2006 MX-5 Limited
the rest of the garage:
1984 Mazda RX-7 GSL-SE
1996 Toyota 4runner
TedV

Post by TedV »

inside turn 1 at night is great to watch brakes glow.

watching a tire machine go around 600ish times sucks.
Ted V.
don't make me list all my VW's
awdbandito

Post by awdbandito »

Keep an eye out for Lyonel Kent driving the Race Epic/Murillo Racing BMW 328i in the Grand-Am Continental Tire Challenge race. He is in ST number 65.
J.D.
gbwrx

Post by gbwrx »

awdbandito wrote:Keep an eye out for Lyonel Kent driving the Race Epic/Murillo Racing BMW 328i in the Grand-Am Continental Tire Challenge race. He is in ST number 65.
You won't be able to see him. He's from the ETR and drives too fast to watch. He will only be a blurr.
2013 WRX