Sound ETR #2

Post by TedV »

the louder cars in the run groups and their range

Run group 1:
STR 94, Honda S2000, 91.1 – 93.5
SSM 15, Z06, 94.9 – 97

Run Group 2:
PASP, Corvette, 92.5 – 95.1
EM 83/183, Cobra Kit, high of 102.2, then broke.
SM 10/110, Z28, 89.4 – 94.9
SM12, GT500, 95.6 – 96.8, 100.7 on a roasting tire, lift/exhaust burble. Spinning the tires for 500 feet looks cool, but don’t make for fast times or happy neighbors. Except for the dirt track guy up the hill and the folks watching.
SM 96, Impala SS, 91.5 – 93.6
Ted V.
don't make me list all my VW's
budjrfan

Re: Sound ETR #2

Post by budjrfan »

TedV wrote:the louder cars in the run groups and their range

Run Group 2:
EM 83/183, Cobra Kit, high of 102.2, then broke.

umm... broke as in Teddy on a Dyno broke or the muffler broke off>? :shock:
TedV

Post by TedV »

broke as in the driver side exhaust smoke was different than the passenger side exhaust smoke... sound reading were on the driver side of the car. It passed by the sound meter with an 86.2dB then it got even more quiet. SO quiet we pushed it on the car trailer. :(
Ted V.
jcox07

Post by jcox07 »

If you are talking about that run, it was the winning run in sm class, so some times spinning is fast and that was the case on that run. You should check the times before passing judgment. Oh, and that was factory exhaust on the 12 sm GT500 as well.
JY ( Jeff ) Cox
ETR R.E
2018-2021, 2022, 2023 Solo Nationals Co Chairman
2010 GT500
John Brown

Post by John Brown »

:lol:

yea, Ted. you shudA spun the tars on the Me-aa-ta more.. oh,wait...they wont spin. :lol:
ETR Pro Class Champion-2002-03-10-11-12-13-14-15
BMW/CCA D-Mod National Road Racing Champion-2011
Pro-Solo Prepared National Champ-2004
Pro-Solo Prepared National Champ-2005
2016 Dodge Challenger SRT 6.4L CAM-C
John Brown

Post by John Brown »

Ted, seriously.. give us a run down of what happens in case of loud car?

warnings and DSQ's what ranges?
pthach

Post by pthach »

Just for S&Gs, if you have the info, what was the high Db on STR 85? Just curious. Thanks!
TedV

Post by TedV »

jcox07 wrote:If you are talking about that run, it was the winning run in sm class, so some times spinning is fast and that was the case on that run. You should check the times before passing judgment. Oh, and that was factory exhaust on the 12 sm GT500 as well.
the :wink: :P :lol: didn't copy with the cut and paste. It was intended to be a light hearted jab at controling the car, modulating the throttle and wheel spin will result in a faster time for you, and will help us keep our ONLY SITE WE CAN RUN AT LOCALY. Pardon me trying to help you go even faster.

Now, if folks want to get pissy about the sound rules: thank you for that info. The run scoring the 100.7 is now a DNF, meaning you didn't make the winning run in the class. Will get the results changed as soon as possible. :wink: :P :lol: PSTCC is our only place to run and I'm sorry to be the azz reading the sound. the ASP vette sure was faster and didn't spin the wheels. let Robert or JohnB drive that car and see what times less wheel spin will get you. several 4 banger miata and honduh on street tires turned a faster time. Most guys I know that drag race know the run is blown if the tires are spining past the line and they just shut it down. Just some constructive food for thought. Come out, have fun, dont screw it up for everybody else. And yes, I know its the stock exhaust, but if its too loud it has to go home. Sorry. The sound threads after an event are for people to find out what was close or over on sound and make changes accordingly

As I said in the drivers meeting, plus I thought the sound policy was included on the solo schedule page but do not see it now. I will make sure it is posted for future reference.

over 93 is a warning and you keep on running.

at 96dB it is a DNF and you must change something to the car, discuss with the event officials changes made to the car to be able to make another run. The accuracy of the meter is taken into acount

If you lift and drive part throttle past the sound meter that is a DNF

If you are over twice, that is the end of your runs for the day.

Sound varies with all kinds of conditions, humidity, temperature, the suroundings, etc. way too many variables to say "I was 1 dB under last event, why am I over this event?"

Sorry, we want to have some place close to home to hold events, Loud does not mean HP and fast, it just means Loud and possibly pissed off neighbors who will shut down the events. Many event sites have been lost because people complained. This includes autocross, road race, and drag race venues. Go talk to Donny Phillips about 411 dragway and the neighbors who moved in after the track was built. If anyone can find us a place where we don not have to worry about sound. I will be HAPPY!!! :rockon:

We are sedate in our enforcing of sound compared to other regions with sound policy. Other regions if you sneaze or pass gass too loud it is a DNF.
Ted V.
TedV

Post by TedV »

pthach wrote:Just for S&Gs, if you have the info, what was the high Db on STR 85? Just curious. Thanks!
80.9 - 82.7
Ted V.
integra55

Post by integra55 »

thanks for handling a thankless job Ted...

I know that my CRX isn't anywhere close to the sound barrier :lol: ... but as someone else asked just for S&G's what did it register (STS 55)
“The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.”

walter jones
'91 civic CRX, Ford F150, '14 Chevy Sonic

828-686-3245
TedV

Post by TedV »

Walter, the integra o doom was 91.2 - 91.5

Be glad I was playing musical cars and either spun, or underspun JohnB's me-otter, not figuring it out fast enough. :evil:
Ted V.
Oberstwill

Post by Oberstwill »

Funny thing is many cars which did not or could not spin tires pencil whipped the spinners............ :wink: :wink: :wink:

Not to mention from a safety aspect, when a car has tires spinning (especially on the between the islands section) those curbs can just jump out of nowhere......Trust us, we have seen that happen and we do not like to write incident reports or see bent pieces of other peoples cars.......... :shock:
William

I only own old cars.....

and I will beat you on SNOW tires............ ;)
budjrfan

Post by budjrfan »

TedV wrote:
jcox07 wrote:If you are talking about that run, it was the winning run in sm class, so some times spinning is fast and that was the case on that run. You should check the times before passing judgment. Oh, and that was factory exhaust on the 12 sm GT500 as well.
Now, if folks want to get pissy about the sound rules: thank you for that info. The run scoring the 100.7 is now a DNF, meaning you didn't make the winning run in the class. Will get the results changed as soon as possible. :wink: :P :lol:

We are sedate in our enforcing of sound compared to other regions with sound policy. Other regions if you sneaze or pass gass too loud it is a DNF.
sweeeeeet... Terry!!! Winner-Winner-Chicken Dinner!!! :pirate:

all jokes aside though.... 'J' hope you got some thick skin. 'Cause if not, it's gonna be a loooong year.

FYI: these guys are here to help and will give you the shirt off their back. be nice... :wink:
Kelly Munsey
scottgib wrote:On a course that Brown and I both ran about 30% in first gear, with one downshift, an Impala had FTD!!!!??? Still on that course, Kelly schooled us.
John Brown

Post by John Brown »

^^^^^^^^
this!

shirtless... :lol:
jcox07

Post by jcox07 »

It's not a problem, he said he was being light hearted, he does not know me as I do not know him, but it's a funny thing he did not mention any thing about any other cars. Maybe he should have just listed numbers and that would have been cool. Trust me I do have thick skin and have no problem with people that I do know joking and playing head games is all part of the fun, but his comment was not a joke as I stated I do not know him and he does not know me. We may be able to have that after we get to know each other, but I do not joke or am not light hearted to people that I do not know, and I do not want to ruin it for the others or lose the site we are using that is why I do not comment on others runs unless I do know them and they know me and it is all in good fun. I do not think Ted has ever driven a car with over 600 hp and if he ever does he will see how hard it is to control wheel spin.I do not want to get into a peeing contest either.
JY ( Jeff ) Cox
ETR R.E
2018-2021, 2022, 2023 Solo Nationals Co Chairman
2010 GT500