Sound Reg #3 5/22/11

Discussion of anything that doesn't fall into the Solo II and RallyX Categories
TedV

Re: Sound Reg #3 5/22/11

Post by TedV »

John Brown wrote:after some thought away from the site and the event ...
I really think that the Lotus has had the packing burn out of whatever muffler is on the car. If in fact nothing has been changed on the car,this is really the only logical conclusion. We use Costal Fabricator mufflers on our RR cars and we have to pack them once a year.
+1. I've also had baffles come loose inside a muffler = louder
Ted V.
don't make me list all my VW's
jbarker52

Post by jbarker52 »

John I think your are exactly right. I spoke with the owner at Vision Function and he confirmed some other cars had had the same problem. The mufflers were packed with fiberglass and something else. I ordered a super trap from Summit Racing, but if repacking is a better solution, I would rather go that direction. Can you advise the process of repacking the muffler and where to obtain the proper materials? You guys have a wealth of knowledge. Thanks again.

I am going to get to meet Alexander Borla at their annual car show and open house at the Borla Factor in Johnson City July 8-9. I would encourage a club member to attend. He is setting aside a separate area for local Lotus guys. He owns a Lotus Europa, could be a good club member! and possible resource/sponsor? I might talk to him about a street survival school, with Borla as a sponsor and it would be great if they could work with BMS and ETR and get the club back in at BMS? We could even work with the Carter County Car Club to help sponsor a street survival school? Forgive me just thinking out loud with goal to get back to BMS.
TedV

Post by TedV »

many supertraps also have glass packing that can be replaced.
Ted V.
jbarker52

Post by jbarker52 »

What I ordered was the super trapp tip only with 12 disks and can reduce the number of disks to further reduce the sound. I will need to have an extension made and a clamp to go secure it to the existing exhaust. I may contact Borla and see if they can provide the materials and or welding.
MARKP

Post by MARKP »

Supertrapps can be disassembled and repacked. They are one of the few that can. Borlas, off the shelf glasspacks, etc, typically can not be repacked since they are welded together.

I think we tried to get in at Borla for an autocross at their facility but were unsuccessful. Maybe a good word in with someone with the same last name would go a long way. I'm sure there are a lot of club members that would be interested in Borla exhaust products! :wink:
Mark Pilson
03 Z06 - Sword
09 Mustang - Club
01 Excursion - The safe you dropped from the 10th story
TennTechMan

Post by TennTechMan »

Already have a few Borla parts, but I could always use some more. I wouldn't mind another muffler or two on my truck for interstate driving.
Aaron Carroll

STM 11 - 91 Geo Metro
Lead Engineer of the Knoxvegas Lowballers
gbwrx

Post by gbwrx »

I would buy their products if they let us run there.
2013 WRX
Oberstwill

Post by Oberstwill »

is it the extended heat from RR that causes the breakdown of packing on those exhaust?
William

I only own old cars.....

and I will beat you on SNOW tires............ ;)
TedV

Post by TedV »

Oberstwill wrote:is it the extended heat from RR that causes the breakdown of packing on those exhaust?
each sound pulse causes the material to flex back and forth. over time the strands break apart. the broken strands then work their way out the tail pipe as dust particles. I have heard of racing motorcyle riders who have stainless steel strands stuck in their leathers from the bike in front of them. :shock:
Ted V.
jbarker52

Post by jbarker52 »

The sound mystery has been solved. Vision Function sent me a new muffler at no cost. Upon removal of the old muffler one could see about a 180 degree crack on the weld going into the muffler. The new muffler is installed and the sound is much lower and the performance seems better and better idle. Thanks, Ted and John and all who commented. Getting busted on sound ended up being a blessing. I can not say enough about the guys at Vision Function. I told them about the problem and asked if they could cut me a deal on a replacement muffler. Jermaine said how about we ship you a new one for free. I any one is considering upgrading a Elise or Exige, the guys at VF are great.
ke0ki2k

Post by ke0ki2k »

looking forward to seeing that thing back in action!
James Cathers - PFS #192 E92 M3 | TT4 E36 M3
MARKP

Post by MARKP »

Cool. I'm glad you found the problem.
Mark Pilson
03 Z06 - Sword
09 Mustang - Club
01 Excursion - The safe you dropped from the 10th story
TedV

Post by TedV »

MARKP wrote:Cool. I'm glad you found the problem.
X2 :rockon:
Ted V.