Best shops for services (Alignment, Tire Mounting, etc.)

Discussion of anything that doesn't fall into the Solo II and RallyX Categories
Austin Lanz

Re: Best shops for services (Alignment, Tire Mounting, etc.)

Post by Austin Lanz »

+1 on Kristo's comment.

I have had Fisher Tire do mine, specifically a guy there named Corey. I have not been anywhere else to really compare him to, but when I go in there he hands me a sheet that I write down the specs I want all the way around and he does whatever I write down. I find that pretty convenient.
Austin Lanz
STM 12 Evo 8
thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

Well, best local PDR guy? :(
Chris Harp
2009 Mazda RX-8 | 2018 Toyota Tundra | 2011 BMW M3
Wheelman_13

Post by Wheelman_13 »

thrdeye wrote:Well, best local PDR guy? :(
Kroger + Dry Ice + heat gun/hairdrier = probably job done. Just sayin'
Richard Graves
1992 Acura NSX
2004 Lamborghini Gallardo
youtube.com/lapoftheworld
GaryM

Post by GaryM »

Wheelman_13 wrote: Kroger + Dry Ice + heat gun/hairdrier = probably job done. Just sayin'
Have you gotten this to work? I've tried a few times with no success.
-Gary Mitchell
Custom Magnet Numbers and Vinyl Graphics! | Unofficial Points Standings
01' Honda S2000 -99 BSR
99' Subaru Impreza 2.5RS
99' F250 Super Duty
91' SVT GEO Metro (24HhoursOfLemons!)
Wheelman_13

Post by Wheelman_13 »

99KiaSephia wrote:
Wheelman_13 wrote: Kroger + Dry Ice + heat gun/hairdrier = probably job done. Just sayin'
Have you gotten this to work? I've tried a few times with no success.
Not hands-on myself, but I have been physically present to see it. :) I suspect it'll depend on where the dent is. Middle of a panel: will probably work, on a crease or seam: probably not.
Richard Graves
1992 Acura NSX
SilverMaxima

Post by SilverMaxima »

thrdeye wrote:Well, best local PDR guy? :(
I used a guy that moves around, but may still be in the area: Pro Dent. He'd set up shop in a warehouse down right near Ed Shouse on Middlebrook Pike. I'll have to dig up his #, though.

Edit: Found it! Pro Dent Repair, 4426 Middlebrook Pike, 37921, 865-588-8588. If that #'s no good, let me know. I have the owner's cell, too.
2007 STI Limited #576, The Gentleman's STI, er Mistress, FOR SALE
2004 350Zed Base
Marcus W., STU #-Random
disneyd
Site Admin

Post by disneyd »

My favorite PDR guy is: Mike Tedrick 865-755-0353
- Dave Disney
sentrase

Post by sentrase »

Just got an alignment done, so i'm bumping this up. Corey at Fisher Tire on Broadway is THE man, when it comes to alignments. Everything you need to get it to the exact spec you want.

I believe Austin with the Evo was there not too long ago too.
Kristo K.
'13 Scion FR-S
STX 53
Austin Lanz

Post by Austin Lanz »

Yes, I was in there last Friday for a few hours.
Austin Lanz
STM 12 Evo 8
thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

Going to add another big plus for Don's Tires on Western. NO BS. $40 cash out the door. Touchless mounter. I will go there as long as I run road tires.
Chris Harp
2009 Mazda RX-8 | 2018 Toyota Tundra | 2011 BMW M3
Wheelman_13

Post by Wheelman_13 »

Since this has been promoted elsewhere.

(-) I unfortunately have to 2nd Mr. Dillow's opinion of Matlock Farragut for alignments. John D. is definitely a good guy and can align a car just fine, but the management sucks out-loud. I won't go into detail, but the front-office guys got all-kinds of shady when things didn't go well last time I was there. I measure a business by how they handle problems, and Matlock failed miserably.

I can add a (+) to Solar Pros tint. I had them do the windows on the NSX and they listened to what I wanted and made recommendations that I've been happy with. I have not found any flaws in the work, it's been almost a year and it's still stuck down, lol.

(+) My dad had a good experience recently with EuroTech with alignments. Their equipment is brand-new and top-notch. If you're worried about your rims, their alignment heads clamp on the tire, not the wheel, so there's no marring. The only caveat would be they are not the cheapest in town from what I gather.
Richard Graves
1992 Acura NSX
J306SPD

Post by J306SPD »

(-) I also has had bad experiences with the Farragut Matlock Tire. They did not even pay attention with my car and drove my front lip into the rails and destroyed the paint on it and then didn't tell me at all untill I took a look at the end.

(+) Josh Is the service manager of TLE (tire lube express) at the Maryville Walmart is a friend of mine. He is the man. He Autocrosses a newer WRX. He treats your car right and he has ballanced and mounted my wheels and tires every time without issue. he has always given me a very fair price and allows me to watch all the work has been done. He has also swapped my tires numerous times from side to side. He's very convient for before and after issues with running Us129 The dragon. I recommend him a lot bc he Is very knowledgeable. tell him that Matt with the Honda accord sent you.

(+) John Budan's Pro Dent Paint Repair

(865) 368-3368
4426 Middlebrook Pike
Knoxville, TN 37921

Very talented PDR. Honest work. Grainger Williams also does work with him and is a good buddy of mine.

(+) Midas Knoxville
10025 Kingston Pike, Knoxville
Mounting, exhaust, brakes, and routine maintenance

I live across the street from them. every time I have needed my car to put a lift to look at something or for some routine maintenance checks they have always been willing to help me out . even 1 day I had new tires sitting at my house and didn't even plan on installing them bc I did not have a truck or suv to transport the tires to midas. The manager borrowed 1 of the work trucks and drove me to my house, loaded the tires into the back of the truck and brought them back to the shop to install at an ungodly cheap price. They have also done my current cars exhaust work and did a brake job allowing me to watch every time and being able to watch and help them with the work. Very honest work not secretive at all. Love them.

Definitely Midas and Josh are car enthusiasts. I cant even begin to tell you how much info ive learned about mechanics fron the ASE mechanic and apprentice at Midas
Matt McCauley
STM#77
bhmax

Post by bhmax »

I've had great luck with C&D Tire in Maryville, on 411 near where 129 heads towards the mountains. Great people. They usually seem to be able to get me right in. The last 2 alignments I've had they let me sit in the car and they put it to the exact specs I want. They've also been able to press in some bushings and extract bolts I wasn't able to get myself.
Britt Stracner
BRZ
WRX
oldmuscle69

Post by oldmuscle69 »

Not to be an AH but how can a car be aligned by clamping onto the tires? Last I heard it dose not matter what size tires you have as long as the suspensoin is good and same with wheels. Tires are not the factor in and alignment,bald corded flat whatever. Marten Tupper to you :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon:
Bob Colbert
Wheelman_13

Post by Wheelman_13 »

oldmuscle69 wrote:Not to be an AH but how can a car be aligned by clamping onto the tires?
The alignment head still sits on the face of the wheel, the tire clamp is just the method of attachment. Instead of metal-to-metal with a clamp on the wheel lip, which risks marring the wheel, this hooks the tire tread (whatever of that exists).

This does not bring the tire into the calculations.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6NMhLylg5I
Richard Graves
1992 Acura NSX