Best shops for services (Alignment, Tire Mounting, etc.)

Discussion of anything that doesn't fall into the Solo II and RallyX Categories
GaryM

Re: Best shops for services (Alignment, Tire Mounting, etc.)

Post by GaryM »

Getting a bit more specialized... but anyone got a cheap roll cage guy? I'm needing one for a LeMons Car
-Gary Mitchell
Custom Magnet Numbers and Vinyl Graphics! | Unofficial Points Standings
01' Honda S2000 -99 BSR
99' Subaru Impreza 2.5RS
99' F250 Super Duty
91' SVT GEO Metro (24HhoursOfLemons!)
Knox MSP

Post by Knox MSP »

99KiaSephia wrote:Getting a bit more specialized... but anyone got a cheap roll cage guy? I'm needing one for a LeMons Car
Maybe it's just me, but "cheap" and "cage" are not two words I would want together, lol. :lol:
Joe Delligatti
2003 Mazda Mazdaspeed Protege
#46 SM
GaryM

Post by GaryM »

Knox MSP wrote:
99KiaSephia wrote:Getting a bit more specialized... but anyone got a cheap roll cage guy? I'm needing one for a LeMons Car
Maybe it's just me, but "cheap" and "cage" are not two words I would want together, lol. :lol:
:mrgreen: How's 'affordable' sound... I just need some pipes bent/welded together to keep the car from caving in on me and my teammates. No need for titanium nickle iron triple welded and gusseted carbon fiber reinforced NASA engineered x-braces.
-Gary Mitchell
01' Honda S2000 -99 BSR
99' Subaru Impreza 2.5RS
99' F250 Super Duty
ddillow

Post by ddillow »

You can put down a big - for me on Matlock. They will never touch my cars again.

They couldn't get the alignment right, the tech said the machine had been acting flaky, and management would hear none off it, then complained about how long they had to work on the RX7. I took it down the street to Fischer, where they got it right first time.

I don't blame the tech at Matlock -- he was a good guy, and was happy to try to align it to the specs I desired. But their management has created a dissatisfied customer that's happy to share his opinion.
dfoulk

Post by dfoulk »

Maybe John Brown is too modest to blow his own horn. He installed new springs, front struts, rear dampers for me and did an alignment. I have been very pleased with the result.
Dewey Foulk
TennTechMan

Post by TennTechMan »

The few times I've asked John Brown about doing any work for me, he turns me down. I guess 12 hours notice just isn't enough for some people.

I'm sure he does good work for those with the foresight to plan beyond, "oh crap, i need this done NOW".
Aaron Carroll

STM 11 - 91 Geo Metro
Lead Engineer of the Knoxvegas Lowballers
sentrase

Post by sentrase »

ddillow wrote:You can put down a big - for me on Matlock. They will never touch my cars again.
What store was that? Farragut?

On my cars I only use Fisher on Broadway. There's a young guy who's done my Hondas for the past 2 years and lets me crawl under the car and tighten the sliding ball joints my self + always takes the time to get all the numbers the way I want them.
Kristo K.
'13 Scion FR-S
STX 53
ddillow

Post by ddillow »

sentrase wrote:
ddillow wrote:You can put down a big - for me on Matlock. They will never touch my cars again.
What store was that? Farragut?
Yep. I've had good look at all three Fisher tire locations.
dfoulk

Post by dfoulk »

TennTechMan wrote:The few times I've asked John Brown about doing any work for me, he turns me down. I guess 12 hours notice just isn't enough for some people.

I'm sure he does good work for those with the foresight to plan beyond, "oh crap, i need this done NOW".
This can happen when someone with a good reputation gets enough work to stay busy. You can't do short notice unless you have idle time on your hands.
Dewey Foulk
SilverMaxima

Post by SilverMaxima »

FYI... Discount Tire is now open at Hamilton Crossing in Alcoa. They're apparently "desperate" to bring in business, as the guy I spoke with (Brandon, FWIW) cut me a deal OTD on some Rota Grids with Continental DWS that matched what I could picking up everything separately... And this includes mounting, lifetime balancing, road hazard coverage, and free replacement.

May be a good place to hit up for a pricematch OTD for some Star Specs before that $80 rebate ends next month. I'll be able to comment on their service once I get the wheel/tire package on the car hopefully next Friday. And if you have a DT credit card, you get a $30 rebate for 4 tires purchased by 7/2. ;)
2007 STI Limited #576, The Gentleman's STI, er Mistress, FOR SALE
2004 350Zed Base
Marcus W., STU #-Random
gbwrx

Post by gbwrx »

I just got my $80 check yesterday for the Star Specs. :rockon:
2013 WRX
GTRracing

Post by GTRracing »

I have my GTR and Noble M400 serviced at my shop in Cleveland, TN: Extreme Speed. Rob Farley is the master mechanic, is extremely knowledgeable in most makes, and he does a superb job. 423-339-2901.

He also built and maintains our 240sx which just swept the weekend at Roebling Road with two 1st Place finishes in the ChumpCar Series. We'll be running the car again at Nashville Superspeedway in the 24 hours race at Nashville Superspeedway July 2-3.
2009 GTR - Track Car Exclusively

JRZ RS coil-overs
Jhook rotors
XP 12 pads
Greddy inner-cooler
HKS boost controller
Cobb access port
Racetech seat
Schroth 6 pt harness
Altered atmosphere down pipes
Willall mid pipe
HKS legamax

www.tracksunlimited.net
GaryM

Post by GaryM »

Any recommendations for a machine/engine shop? I've got to put new head gaskets/valve seals on the subie and want somebody decent to do a valve job and to check over the heads.
Last edited by GaryM on Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Gary Mitchell
01' Honda S2000 -99 BSR
99' Subaru Impreza 2.5RS
99' F250 Super Duty
disneyd
Site Admin

Post by disneyd »

I'd be interested in hearing if you find someone locally that does a good job.

It has been years since I needed engine machine work done (knock on wood), but everyone locally got this dumb look on their face if it wasn't domestic. Actually had one place tell me, "We don't do that metricks stuff."
- Dave Disney
01badz28

Post by 01badz28 »

disneyd wrote:I'd be interested in hearing if you find someone locally that does a good job.

It has been years since I needed engine machine work done (knock on wood), but everyone locally got this dumb look on their face if it wasn't domestic. Actually had one place tell me, "We don't do that metricks stuff."
That is just a sign you need to stuff a V8 in the Miata and sell me your turbo motor. :lol2:
Ryan E. Jarrard
2001 Camaro Z28, SM #24
2011 BMW M3 Coupe
1989 BMW M3