newbie help

Discussion of anything that doesn't fall into the Solo II and RallyX Categories
sean

newbie help

Post by sean »

i want to get started in autocrossing this year but need help deciding which car to bring. my options are either a 78 porsche 924 or 85 mustang gt. the biggest downfalls with the 924 is the manual steering and it only has a 4 speed but i wouldn't think i would need more than 1st and 2nd anyways. the problem i might have with the mustang is it's non-emissions intake and carb, is that something tech would have a problem with? both of them need a little attention before i would want to bring them to an autocross, i just need to decide which one to focus on first. thanks.
thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

I would bring the one that is in the best shape....or whichever you are most comfortable driving
Chris Harp
2009 Mazda RX-8 | 2018 Toyota Tundra | 2011 BMW M3
disneyd
Site Admin

Post by disneyd »

The intake on the Mustang won't cause a problem in tech... it will just bump you into a class where you won't be as competitive if your car is stock otherwise. That isn't that big of a deal for a newbie, you can still compare your times with stock (or other) classes and once you learn the ropes you can decide whether to put an original intake back on or go the other way and modify the car more.

I agree with Chris.... just bring the car you are more comfortable with. The 4 speed on the Porsche won't be an issue and I doubt the lack of power steering would be either.
- Dave Disney
Don Ramsay

Post by Don Ramsay »

Bring the Porsche!
If you need any help feel free to call me!
671-4914
Don Ramsay
Air Cooled Classics / Speed Sport Engineering

Racer brakem we fixem they win withem!
lostpuppy

Post by lostpuppy »

Decide on a coin flip which one to bring first. Then bring the other the next race weekend. Might give a little prespective on which you really want to run. Just a thought. Take care.
sean

Post by sean »

thanks for all the replies. i probably will try both of them out, but i am more comfortable/used to the porsche.

don: does ACC sell parts for the 924 (bushings, swaybars,...). i've been looking for a reason to come by and see what all you've got going on over there. you're not hiring are you? :lol:

i also have an 82 924 turbo that was my daily driver but i've got it stored for now because of an oil leak and i haven't decided if i'm just going to rebuild it while it's already down(over 200,000 miles and still running strong).

can't wait to attend and hopefully participate in the upcoming events this year.
MichaelXi

Post by MichaelXi »

If ACC doesn't sell it, they can probably source it for you.
If I'm not mistaken, in East TN, ACC Rhymes w/ Porsche.
:wink:
Focus on FASTER!!!!