Sourcing a local mandrel bender

Discussion of anything that doesn't fall into the Solo II and RallyX Categories
CMS-GT4

Sourcing a local mandrel bender

Post by CMS-GT4 »

Does anyone know of a local madrel bender that is fairly priced. I am trying to get my front mount intercooler done, and the last quote I got was far too high. $850 for piping and fitting.

thanks,
JC
Coldiron (Cold - Iron)
92' Celica alltrac: in final stages of rebuild
03' Z: Grocery Gitter
tnturbo

Post by tnturbo »

I would say your options locally are fabbing up your own pipes from mandrel bends you buy somewhere or having a conventional type bender that reduces diameter at the radius do the bending. Most mandrel machines are production type units and not suited to custom work. If you notice most custom race car turbo setups are made from fabricated sections. If you are looking for good quality and a wide selection of bends, try www.burnsstainless.com
Jeff Miller
sean

Post by sean »

i bought some cheap aluminized steel mandrel bends from jcwhitney to make the intercooler piping on the talon i had.
ConeJunkie

Re: Sourcing a local mandrel bender

Post by ConeJunkie »

CMS-GT4 wrote:Does anyone know of a local madrel bender that is fairly priced. I am trying to get my front mount intercooler done, and the last quote I got was far too high. $850 for piping and fitting.

thanks,
JC
Try the guys in my signature I talked to them and said that you should bring it down and let the guy that does the welding there take a look at it. They should be able to help you out there really good with metal. fabrication. Ask for Bradley....
I am so good I will race you and only use one hand.
CMS-GT4

Post by CMS-GT4 »

I found an aluminum piping distributer here in knoxville. They can supply me with strait bendable alloy for $1.20 to $2.50 per foot. I have to buy at least 20' but I am sure I will find use for the rest. they charge $17/ bend if they mandrel bend it for me. I am going down there today to work out all the details. If I have them bend it, I will have all the exact bends and will only have to pay for some brackets and piping to the cost. Should be able to do the whole kit for about $350. The hard part will be taking the turbo off to clock it down, and extending the wires for the afm.
Coldiron (Cold - Iron)
tscott

Post by tscott »

Who is this aluminum distributor that you speak of? That is a hell of a deal!
Tyler Scott
BillyM

Post by BillyM »

Yes, please share. I am going to be in the market to get bent (some pipe that is) pretty soon here for my turbo project. They have an actual mandrel bender? They sell other material pipes? Stainless? If not, can they bend pipe I get? What sizes (diameters) can they handle?

--BillyM (lacking downpipe, exhaust, and intercooler tubing)
CMS-GT4

Post by CMS-GT4 »

Here is their name. Morris Coupling

I am trying to set an order up with them right now. They make the custom bends based on the measurements you need. They also have a large array of other parts for such applications.
They are a numatic (SP) vacume company. The pipes are used for air and vacume so I would expect them being good for intercooler application.
They offer .5" to 12" o/d of pipe.
Its a min. of $50 for an order, and you can only buy the piping in 20' sticks. I doubt I will use the entire 20' so I'll put the rest on ebay.
My power goal is 350 flywheel hp. So I doubt I will need over 2.25" o/d piping. I may even go with 2." I want to keep the lag as low as possible, and yet not be restrictive on the air intake.

I do need a 7" long 3" o/d pipe to make a straight intake with, but I don't want to buy 20' of pipe for that. Maybe if any of you get a 3" o/d pipe set up, I can get a peice from one of you.

I will keep everyone posted on the process and details of the transaction.
So far I need to setup an order in the Penn. location, but they have a supply location here in knoxville. So that saves on shipping costs.
Coldiron (Cold - Iron)
disneyd
Site Admin

Post by disneyd »

I really think you should go with some of the 12" pipe :D
- Dave Disney