Awards opinion poll

Discussion of anything that doesn't fall into the Solo II and RallyX Categories

See first post for explanation

Poll ended at Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:39 am

I like having awards at each event but I think we should do something different, similar in cost to the T-shirts.
23%
I like having awards at each event and think the T-shirt idea is great.
50%
I like having awards at each event but I think the club should do something less expensive.
23%
I don't really care about awards at each event and the club should save the money.
3%

Total votes: 30

John Brown

Re: Awards opinion poll

Post by John Brown »

FTD=shirt
Novice win=shirt
Class win= points toward free entry (split as desired) .5/win..2.0/free entry
Pro= $$$

simple,(less to inventory)..yet cost effective. :eating:
ETR Pro Class Champion-2002-03-10-11-12-13-14-15
BMW/CCA D-Mod National Road Racing Champion-2011
Pro-Solo Prepared National Champ-2004
Pro-Solo Prepared National Champ-2005
2016 Dodge Challenger SRT 6.4L CAM-C
thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

Points toward a free entry is a lot for reg to keep up with.

I brought up the "kill" stickers last time this came up. Put them on a magnet and cycle therm out each season. I think they would be a neat memento.
Chris Harp
2009 Mazda RX-8 | 2018 Toyota Tundra | 2011 BMW M3
TennTechMan

Post by TennTechMan »

The idea of being able to win points towards a free entry fee is interesting. I would suggest doing it as a punch card though. Then no one has to keep up with points. Any trophy position could get a punch, maybe 2 for a win. It should take 8 punches to get a free event.

We could keep the shirts too, and you have to choose either shirt or punch on your card. I think the shirts are important. When we travel to other regions and to national events, it gives a sense of club pride. But once you get 5 or 10 shirts, the punch cards are a way to feel like you still got something.
Aaron Carroll

STM 11 - 91 Geo Metro
Lead Engineer of the Knoxvegas Lowballers
backpacker6

Post by backpacker6 »

I think we should keep t-shirts for 1st place and give out koozies/glasses/stickers/etc. for the remaining trophy positions.
-Brian Darby

PSTS 8
91 Miata
integra55

Post by integra55 »

steverife wrote:While I don't really care about that stuff, I do tend to use it...

In the last 3 days, I've used my TRSCCA tumbler, my TRSCCA bottle opener, and my Atlanta Region coozie that I got from nats last year.
but if you had a dozen of each ...

I'm for the T shirts .. as someone said they are a functional trophy ... I'd even be ok with only giving to 1st place with "cheesy" plastic trophies for other places.. 'course now I've got several T's and only take one if I've won that day ... with CCR I seldom take any ...... 1st place or whatever ( see ref. cheesy plastic trophy) theirs are pretty good just I've got lots and lots of trophies from many different sports and don't want any more
“The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.”

walter jones
'91 civic CRX, Ford F150, '14 Chevy Sonic

828-686-3245
Knox MSP

Post by Knox MSP »

As someone who didn't participate in team sports growing up (I surfed, skated, wakeboarded, etc.I grew up on the beach, what can I say?) I would like an actual trophy, as I've never gotten one, lol.

Also, I've won the class a few times and didn't get shirts because I already have four or five, and I'd rather be changing tires so I can get home.
Joe Delligatti
2003 Mazda Mazdaspeed Protege
#46 SM
steverife

Post by steverife »

integra55 wrote:
steverife wrote:While I don't really care about that stuff, I do tend to use it...

In the last 3 days, I've used my TRSCCA tumbler, my TRSCCA bottle opener, and my Atlanta Region coozie that I got from nats last year.
but if you had a dozen of each ...

I'm for the T shirts .. as someone said they are a functional trophy ... I'd even be ok with only giving to 1st place with "cheesy" plastic trophies for other places.. 'course now I've got several T's and only take one if I've won that day ... with CCR I seldom take any ...... 1st place or whatever ( see ref. cheesy plastic trophy) theirs are pretty good just I've got lots and lots of trophies from many different sports and don't want any more
I think I do have a dozen of the tumblers and beer mugs.

Again, I like the shirts, but I don't really care. The results sheets are enough for me....
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
GaryM

Post by GaryM »

Wheelman_13 wrote:My $.02:
. Instead of every SCCA "Trophy" position, move to a top-3 only or even just 1st place in class for a T-shirt, and then have something less expensive for 2nd & 3rd.
As I said the last time this was brought up, I like this idea. Cuts the number of shirts per event significantly. The only problem is, again, you get back to the same few people getting most of the shirts.

I'd be happy to help make the kill sticker idea a reality, it sounds like that is pretty popular.
-Gary Mitchell
Custom Magnet Numbers and Vinyl Graphics! | Unofficial Points Standings
01' Honda S2000 -99 BSR
99' Subaru Impreza 2.5RS
99' F250 Super Duty
91' SVT GEO Metro (24HhoursOfLemons!)
Oberstwill

Post by Oberstwill »

The shirts are IMHO one of the biggest draws for the club because the people from other regions like them and want to win them. I also liked the little cones TRSCCA uses and the beer glasses CRSCCA uses. The kill stickers sound alright, but for some reason they just would feel more appropriate if we were running an event with an actual shootout/ challenge format.

If we could obtain SCCA key chains, or SCCA coozies as second, third or fourth place trophies we would be better off. These are also useful and functional items which would represent the SCCA and might get people more interested in the sport vs. a sticker which most people would not notice and if they did notice them, they would have to ask what it is for.

Coozies & key chains = traveling exposure in many situations. Stickers not so much.
William

I only own old cars.....

and I will beat you on SNOW tires............ ;)
PushinTheLimit

Post by PushinTheLimit »

Oberstwill wrote:The shirts are IMHO one of the biggest draws for the club because the people from other regions like them and want to win them. I also liked the little cones TRSCCA uses and the beer glasses CRSCCA uses. The kill stickers sound alright, but for some reason they just would feel more appropriate if we were running an event with an actual shootout/ challenge format.

If we could obtain SCCA key chains, or SCCA coozies as second, third or fourth place trophies we would be better off. These are also useful and functional items which would represent the SCCA and might get people more interested in the sport vs. a sticker which most people would not notice and if they did notice them, they would have to ask what it is for.

Coozies & key chains = traveling exposure in many situations. Stickers not so much.
Maybe just me... but I rarely use coozies and certainly don't need any key chains. I would notice "event win" stickers on competing cars much more than trying to look at keychains.

When I ran with ALSCCA... they handed out little cones with the class name on it to the winners only of each class. I thought that was cool, but they also had Hooter's girls there as their sponsor 8)

The shirts work, but like many have said... once you get a few, then you don't really need anymore.
Michael Smith
C5 Z06
ST2 #10
01badz28

Post by 01badz28 »

goldeneagle_10 wrote:The shirts work, but like many have said... once you get a few, then you don't really need anymore.
I think that generally applies to most awards, whether that be glasses, coozies, key chains, etc.

I personally don't get the stickers, aside from making sure no one else grabs your helmet by mistake.
Ryan E. Jarrard
2001 Camaro Z28, SM #24
2011 BMW M3 Coupe
1989 BMW M3
PushinTheLimit

Post by PushinTheLimit »

01badz28 wrote:
goldeneagle_10 wrote:The shirts work, but like many have said... once you get a few, then you don't really need anymore.
I think that generally applies to most awards, whether that be glasses, coozies, key chains, etc.

I personally don't get the stickers, aside from making sure no one else grabs your helmet by mistake.
The stickers I'm referring to would be for the car... not for your helmet. I've seen SCCA Pro racing do that for their class winners in road racing.
Michael Smith
C5 Z06
ST2 #10
01badz28

Post by 01badz28 »

Yeah, I prefer not running any decals on the car personally - unless its somebody paying me some $$$.
Ryan E. Jarrard
2001 Camaro Z28, SM #24
2011 BMW M3 Coupe
1989 BMW M3
jcox07

Post by jcox07 »

No decals/stickers on my car either, that is why I am going to have to get Gary to make me some magnets so I can put the decals on them for national events. JY
JY ( Jeff ) Cox
ETR R.E
2018-2021, 2022, 2023 Solo Nationals Co Chairman
2010 GT500
thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

I was thinking that the kill stickers would go on something like a 6x4 in rectangle of magnet with that year on it and you would stick the stickers on that.

Very cheap. Very easy to store. Let's people know that you can kick ass.
Chris Harp
2009 Mazda RX-8 | 2018 Toyota Tundra | 2011 BMW M3