Awards opinion poll

Discussion of anything that doesn't fall into the Solo II and RallyX Categories

See first post for explanation

Poll ended at Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:39 am

I like having awards at each event but I think we should do something different, similar in cost to the T-shirts.
23%
I like having awards at each event and think the T-shirt idea is great.
50%
I like having awards at each event but I think the club should do something less expensive.
23%
I don't really care about awards at each event and the club should save the money.
3%

Total votes: 30

MARKP

Awards opinion poll

Post by MARKP »

In light of some discussions that have been going on with the board and the Solo Committee over the past year or so, I wanted to get some opinions on our awards are at the local events (currently T-shirts).

This does not necessarily mean things are changing but I will use it in discussions with the board and committee.

The poll will be open for 10 days and you can change your vote within that time if you change your mind. I hope that anyone that comes and runs the Solo events will vote.
Mark Pilson
03 Z06 - Sword
09 Mustang - Club
01 Excursion - The safe you dropped from the 10th story
thrdeye

Re: Awards opinion poll

Post by thrdeye »

I have been around long enough that I have about 4 million t shirts. I've got enough of them now that I don't take one everytime I win one. Been taking the V3 shirts when I can since I like the design better.

The amount spent on the shirts is quite a lot in my opinion, although we did save a little with the latest version.

They are really great trophies, but even people in ATL region that I talk to are like "how do you guys afford that?"

I want people to be able to get one if they run an event with us, but the people that would really desire one (person at their first autox event) are less likely to win one.
Chris Harp
2009 Mazda RX-8 | 2018 Toyota Tundra | 2011 BMW M3
thewelder

Post by thewelder »

It is nice to get a t-shirt ever now and then but I don't think we need one every event. Maybe we could make t-shirts for the special events and give them to everyone that races. Chad
*Chad Summey*

E mod 78 lotus seven clone.
SilverMaxima

Post by SilverMaxima »

thewelder wrote:It is nice to get a t-shirt ever now and then but I don't think we need one every event. Maybe we could make t-shirts for the special events and give them to everyone that races. Chad
To add to this, I now have several etr shirts. But none of the new design since their currently in a too-small size. If shirts every event for all classes is too expensive, then we could reduce that down to only Novice and maybe STM (for the new people), and use something else for the regulars. I still remember winning my first shirt... :lol:

As an alternative, I do like Chattanooga glasses for each place. Not sure what awards other regions give out.

Random fact I've noticed... Can't vote on polls via Tapatalk, so I'll do that later.

Sent from The Gentleman's HTC Incredible via Tapatalk
2007 STI Limited #576, The Gentleman's STI, er Mistress, FOR SALE
2004 350Zed Base
Marcus W., STU #-Random
keith

Post by keith »

I like the shirts, and still enjoy taking one home when I can, but another cheaper award option is an ETR can coozie. Got one at Nashville and seemed would be a good change for our region.
Keith Davenport
BS 94 '02 Silver S2000
Wheelman_13

Post by Wheelman_13 »

My $.02:

-I've liked the shirts because they are functional "trophies". The plastic trophies, plaques, coozies (not to pick on Keith), etc. that I've won are all currently collecting dust or filling up drawers, but I've worn the hell out of my ETR shirts.

-I'm not sure what club policy is, but would it be possible to get the shirts sponsored (e.g. how the PCA T-Shirts at least one season were "brought to you by" a local shop).

-If it's an expense issue, and we can't get someone else to buy the shirts in exchange for ad space, could we possibly cut down the potential number of "winners". Instead of every SCCA "Trophy" position, move to a top-3 only or even just 1st place in class for a T-shirt, and then have something less expensive for 2nd & 3rd.

-For non-t-shirt alternatives, I'd still like something functional. Hats could be nice, but are probably more $$$ than t-shirts? Not necessarily ball-caps either, even the cheapest bucket/boonie hat would be a winner over the summer months (just not in white, lol).

-other, cheap, but either useful or possibly entertaining prizes that aren't the same as a neighboring region:
+The ubiquitous spring pen:
+coffee mugs
+"kill" stickers of some design, but probably not like in the picture (and we have members who could probably get us a hookup on these)
+Key straps:
+cinch bags:
Richard Graves
1992 Acura NSX
2004 Lamborghini Gallardo
youtube.com/lapoftheworld
SilverMaxima

Post by SilverMaxima »

Wheelman_13 wrote:-I've liked the shirts because they are functional "trophies". The plastic trophies, plaques, coozies (not to pick on Keith), etc. that I've won are all currently collecting dust or filling up drawers, but I've worn the hell out of my ETR shirts.
+1

However, just about everything else you've mentioned, save maybe the coffee mug, is far less useful to me than a t-shirt, which is why I suggested glasses/cups of some kind.
2004 350Zed Base
Marcus W., STU #-Random
steverife

Post by steverife »

I'm mixed....

I love the shirts and they aren't necessarily easy to get in PRO, so I'm busting my butt to get a couple a year if I'm lucky. On the other hand, I know the cost and a lot of people not running PRO get bored with them. Before I moved to PRO, I used to decline shirts.

Personally, I don't care about any other trophies... The T by my position and knowing I drove well enough to trophy is enough for me...
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
eunos735

Post by eunos735 »

How about this. "Real" trophies for the pro class, Novice class, Top PAX and FTD. These could be T Shirts, Beer Mugs etc etc etc

And then something smaller and simple for the other pro trophy spots and regular classes that have at least 3 drivers. These could even be something as simple as "Helmet Stickers"...you know like the ones you got in High School Football when you knocked quarterbacks out of the game :)

It rewards the winner of the hardest to win class, it encourages people to step up their game over time to run pro and you encourage people to "bump up" a class and race someone other than themselves.

I'm not a member of the region...just wanted to share this idea.
SSM 96/196
PushinTheLimit

Post by PushinTheLimit »

I like the kill stickers myself. Just a simple ETR design maybe with the date and class on it. I think that would be cool. We do that sometimes in road racing and its something you can keep on the car for others to see what you've won.
Michael Smith
C5 Z06
ST2 #10
SilverMaxima

Post by SilverMaxima »

eunos735 wrote:How about this. "Real" trophies for the pro class, Novice class, Top PAX and FTD. These could be T Shirts, Beer Mugs etc etc etc

And then something smaller and simple for the other pro trophy spots and regular classes that have at least 3 drivers. These could even be something as simple as "Helmet Stickers"...you know like the ones you got in High School Football when you knocked quarterbacks out of the game :)

It rewards the winner of the hardest to win class, it encourages people to step up their game over time to run pro and you encourage people to "bump up" a class and race someone other than themselves.

I'm not a member of the region...just wanted to share this idea.
Excellent suggestion, and right along the lines of where my thoughts likely would've led me. I wouldn't mind having some class win stickers. In 2010 (I think), a certain friend of mine had a black Mazdaspeed Protege and made some STI kill magnets for the events. :lol:
2004 350Zed Base
Marcus W., STU #-Random
Wheelman_13

Post by Wheelman_13 »

SilverMaxima wrote:
Wheelman_13 wrote:-I've liked the shirts because they are functional "trophies". The plastic trophies, plaques, coozies (not to pick on Keith), etc. that I've won are all currently collecting dust or filling up drawers, but I've worn the hell out of my ETR shirts.
+1

However, just about everything else you've mentioned, save maybe the coffee mug, is far less useful to me than a t-shirt, which is why I suggested glasses/cups of some kind.
Yeah, none of that stuff is as good as a T-Shirt. I'd use a pen at word, but more than one and they'd add to a pile in a drawer, A mug would be nice, but mugs (plural) would start taxing cabinet space, I can't remember the last time I used a can coozie, I'm done with the can before it gets cold, and holding a cold can is just the cost of doing business. I've got a half dozen cinch bags, and about two dozen lanyards from various things already........yeah, I was just spitballin' there really :lol:
Richard Graves
1992 Acura NSX
2004 Lamborghini Gallardo
youtube.com/lapoftheworld
SilverMaxima

Post by SilverMaxima »

Wheelman_13 wrote:Yeah, none of that stuff is as good as a T-Shirt. I'd use a pen at word, but more than one and they'd add to a pile in a drawer, A mug would be nice, but mugs (plural) would start taxing cabinet space, I can't remember the last time I used a can coozie, I'm done with the can before it gets cold, and holding a cold can is just the cost of doing business. I've got a half dozen cinch bags, and about two dozen lanyards from various things already........yeah, I was just spitballin' there really :lol:
Amen! :lol: Pens, lanyards, coozies, all that stuff goes to my mom from the general category of "career fair/business swag." I do have two drawstring bags that I use sparingly, with one being totally waterproof.
2004 350Zed Base
Marcus W., STU #-Random
steverife

Post by steverife »

While I don't really care about that stuff, I do tend to use it...

In the last 3 days, I've used my TRSCCA tumbler, my TRSCCA bottle opener, and my Atlanta Region coozie that I got from nats last year.
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
01badz28

Post by 01badz28 »

T-shirts seem to be the most 'useful' trophy out of the suggestions.
Ryan E. Jarrard
2001 Camaro Z28, SM #24
2011 BMW M3 Coupe
1989 BMW M3