Newbie - Hi & question

Discussion of anything that doesn't fall into the Solo II and RallyX Categories
Brian

Newbie - Hi & question

Post by Brian »

Hi All. I'm new to the area & new to Solo II. I've been wanting to get started for a couple of years now but didn't want to use my 944 Turbo for a number of reasons - it's nowhere near stock, reliability questions, etc.

But now I have a bone stock '90 Miata & can't wait to get started. :D

I think I read somewhere (may be region specific) that you can run an entire season in the novice class while you're coming up to speed. If this is the case, would I be better off waiting until next years SCCA events to take advantage of this or does it really matter when you're learning? I am going to run the PCA events (probably in the Miata) this Fall anyway.

Thanks in advance.
scottgib

Post by scottgib »

The sooner you start running the better. The year starts when you start, not the calendar year if I remember. If you win novice class three times you are kicked up into your regular class regardless of how long you have been running. This is all fun and not taken too seriously on the regional level.
Old men can still dream!

Scott Gibson
tscott

Post by tscott »

"You may compete as a Novice for 2 years, or until you win Novice class 3 times".

"A Novice competitor may choose to move into class competition at any time, but may not move back to Novice".

Those are our novice rules. If I were you I would start driving at out next event. I have never seen anyone stay in the novice class for more than one season anyway. If you do run novice just be sure to run a N in front of your class e.g., NCS if you are driving your Miata. Just come out and run you'll be glad you did.
Tyler Scott
Mark McCrary

Post by Mark McCrary »

It would be classed in NES since it is a 1.6.
I think you will enjoy running the autocrosses in the miata.
Mark McCrary
2004 Mazda RX-8 C-Street
Brian

Post by Brian »

Thanks for the info & advice. I'm definitely starting this fall.