New Ride - '73 Chevy Vega Station Wagon.... yes, a wagon!

Discussion of anything that doesn't fall into the Solo II and RallyX Categories
bugdewde

New Ride - '73 Chevy Vega Station Wagon.... yes, a wagon!

Post by bugdewde »

Been a while since I posted.... or even raced a Vega(I think it was Meca driving school a couple years back). I haven't raced with you guys since 2009 or 2010 when I ran the old '79 T/A... completely stock!

Anyway, I've always had a Vega of some sort since the early '90s but never got them into any motorsports. Buick V6 power, Buick V8 power(all aluminum) and even stock 4-popper power. Of course, there have been dreams of building one for fun but it just never materialized.

Well, I have a buddy building an AMC Matador for the American Streetcar Series with the Pro-Touring guys........ YES, an AMC Matador!!!! :rockon:
That got me thinking about finally doing something with one of my Vegas. I don't want to touch my mostly original '73 Hatchback GT, so I went out and bought a '73 Wagon with no drivetrain. Perfect!!!
I've always wanted an Vega wagon but never owned one before. This one is a bit rusty as the pics will show in the link at the bottom.... so I don't have too many reservations about modding this thing up a bit.

OK..... so I love the all-aluminum Buick 215 V8 from '61-'63 Skylark/Specials and have a "few" of them lying in the basement that I've collected over the years. So...... ta-daa. A new toy in the making. Hope to see you guys this year (maybe later in the season) when I get things going on this project.

Planned mods:
-215 aluminum V8 (current version is only 150 hp /200 ft-lbs torque :lol: )
-Non-world class Camaro T-5 5-speed with 0.63 Overdrive ratio
-Aftermarket front control arms with anti-swaybar mounts (rubber bushings)
-1.125" front anti-sway bar, 7/8" rear anti-sway bar (poly bushings)
-2nd generation Vega 3-link rear with torque arm and panhard bar (currently 2.93 ratio... open diff :roll: )
-S-10 spindles/rear axle shafts for 5-lug conversion (hoping to fit 17s under there)
-S-10 dual piston front brakes, S-10 rear disc brakes
-200 treadwear rating tires (comply with American Streetcar Series requirements)

Yeah, these mods will put me in a class that won't even make me competitive, but that's not what I'm building it for. My initial planned build budget won't allow any "pretty" work... so the car will be multi-colored (as parts are gathered) and I've planned most mods to be bolt-ons with some slight mounting bracket fabrication and a driveshaft shortening ...... so this one should come in real cheap. :lol: Hey, it's a Vega!

See pics of the build here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3940238/1 ... 9402384004

Yeah, it's a Station Wagon!!!!!
01badz28

Re: New Ride - '73 Chevy Vega Station Wagon.... yes, a wagon

Post by 01badz28 »

Looks like a nice build, hope you can have it ready for Run Through the Hills this fall.

I've got a set of LS1 fourth gen f-body (pbr, 2 piston) brake calipers (with some moderately used HP+ pads) I'd be willing to sell to you if they are better than the S10 parts. I know they will bolt up to the truck spindles, I'm just not sure if a bracket is required.
Ryan E. Jarrard
2001 Camaro Z28, SM #24
2011 BMW M3 Coupe
1989 BMW M3
Pewter Sonoma

Post by Pewter Sonoma »

Cool project.

FYI, S10 calipers are single pistons. If they are dual, they are from another vehicle.
2011 ETR SCCA never made it to an event Champion
2001 Camaro SS Convertible - LS1, 6-speed, GMPP HotCam, Full Exhaust, Konis, Springs, Sways, Roll Cage, Wilwood Brakes.
bugdewde

Post by bugdewde »

Oh yeah, they're better.
I've contemplated these calipers since they are aluminum and are considerably lighter than the S-10 calipers. Larger rotor, too. Adapter brackets are required --- but they used to be available from flynbuy.com. Not sure about anyone else making them.

I already have the S-10 iron calipers from Pullapart..... but that's not all that expensive to toss!
Adapting the LS brakes will be a bit more expensive, though...... and narrow my wheel selection away from 15 inchers.... thinking thick, cushy, 15" tires for street driving and 17s for the track. The stock Vega wheel wheels do not allow much wheel/tire fitment without modification.

I like the idea, eventhough the lightweight 320 lb V8 and the necessary small tires would probably make the tires lock up rather quickly. But then again, I do plan on keeping the brakes non-powered...... Hmmmm... ? I'll have to get back with you on that.
integra55

Post by integra55 »

I love it
“The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.”

walter jones
'91 civic CRX, Ford F150, '14 Chevy Sonic

828-686-3245
bugdewde

Post by bugdewde »

Pewter Sonoma wrote:Cool project.

FYI, S10 calipers are single pistons. If they are dual, they are from another vehicle.

I should clarify.... not S-10 Truck......
'98-'04 2WD S-10 Blazers use dual piston brakes......
.....however, they use the sealed hub/bearing assemblies like most of the 4WD vehicles of today.
Not one of my favorite assemblies but the lightweight engine might not wear them out too fast.

Jared's brakes would fit the early S-10 tapered bearing spindles with the mentioned brackets from flynbuy.
01badz28

Post by 01badz28 »

No worries - just hit me up if you are interested.

Those hubs should be fine. A lot of 4th gen f-body guys are going over to those since they can be rebuilt and the 4th gens can't (and wear out quickly).
Ryan E. Jarrard
2001 Camaro Z28, SM #24
2011 BMW M3 Coupe
1989 BMW M3
MARKP

Post by MARKP »

Cool. I love Vegas. You should make a panel wagon out of it! That and the 215 V8 should be really cool!

I liked the GT too. Cornering on the door handles can be fun. :lol:
Mark Pilson
03 Z06 - Sword
09 Mustang - Club
01 Excursion - The safe you dropped from the 10th story
bugdewde

Post by bugdewde »

MARKP wrote:Cool. I love Vegas. You should make a panel wagon out of it! That and the 215 V8 should be really cool!

I liked the GT too. Cornering on the door handles can be fun. :lol:

Love the GTs. I've had a few of them. Here's a video of my current '73 GT daily driver from a few years ago(semi-retired.....needing battery tray rust repair) after swapping in a T-50 5-speed from a '77 Chevy Monza.
Light duty 5-speed with 1st gear back and to the left (where 2nd normally is). 0.80 overdrive. It's a HUGE improvement over the original powerglide 2-speed auto that was in there.....

This is a great curvey, river road that I used to ride my Honda XL75 on when I was kid.... it was chip and tar surface back then. Great for some spirited driving as there is never anyone on this great stretch of road. Rusted old glass pack muffler on the car when I bought it....... ha ha ha.....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRmaoh5MDyE
Knox MSP

Post by Knox MSP »

You know what they say; What happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas! :lol:
Joe Delligatti
2003 Mazda Mazdaspeed Protege
#46 SM
TedV

Post by TedV »

:rockon: :rockon: :rockon:
Ted V.
don't make me list all my VW's
LeadSSled

Post by LeadSSled »

Two thumbs up to this project. Bravo!
Terry Kehne
SCCA #337340
1996 Impala SS - not stock SM96
2005 Dodge Magnum RT - bone stock
1997 VW Passat TDI - Sprint 520 nozzles, Stage 2 RocketChip tune
2001 Dodge Ram 2500 4X4 Cummins

I drive a hybrid - it burns both gas and rubber.
bugdewde

Post by bugdewde »

Gathering up drivetrain parts to swap into the Wagon. The engine is one of my "spares" and will not be used in the car.... it's just for mock up.
Gotta fab a trans crossmember for the longer tailshaft of the Camaro T-5.

Gotta figure out how to mount the torque arm to the rear of the T-5 trans..... after shortening the torque arm since the trans is longer than the previous 5-speed (Monza T-50).

Drivetrain page.... neat article on the Buick 215 I'm using:
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3940238/1 ... ega/page-3
bugdewde

Post by bugdewde »

Visited the pullapart on Friday to get some 26 spline axle shafts from a 1st Gen S-10 to fit in the Monza 7.5" rear I picked up a few years back for $10. :rockon:
This simple swap allows me to upgrade to 5-lug wheels.
Sadly, Vegas had the 4-lug, 6.5" rear and finding parts for them (LSD) is quite hard. So the upgraded 7.5" rear from '76-'80 is a better option.

Pulled the diff cover on the S-10 I got the spindles from (using LS1 F-body 12" brakes) and proceeded to remove the crosspin bolt. IT BROKE! Ok, that carrier is screwed.
Move to the next S-10. Same deal...... it broke, too!
Moved to the last early S-10 they had and you guessed it..... it broke, too! I went home axleless(did get the spindles).
Practically all three of the bolts broke in about the same place.
Here's a pic of it placed next to it's position in the carrier:Image

If I find some more S-10s, anyone have any ideas how I can get this bolt out without breaking it?
bugdewde

Post by bugdewde »

I just realized that the LS1 F-body calipers to 1st Gen S-10 spindle brackets from flynbye.com are on backorder. Their machinist died in Dec. They currently have another machinist on board but they are behind.