Daytona 24 Hours

Discussion of anything that doesn't fall into the Solo II and RallyX Categories
John_Kernodle

Daytona 24 Hours

Post by John_Kernodle »

Wish I were at the 50th running of an international sports car race at Daytona. Watched most of Speed's coverage Saturday (3 to 11) which will resume at 10 am Sunday.

The one time I have been to the 24 hours was 2009. Here are my images from that race.

Slideshow
http://jpkernodle.zenfolio.com/p120938240/slideshow

Gallery
http://jpkernodle.zenfolio.com/p120938240
John P. Kernodle
2010 MX-5 Miata
http://jpkernodle.zenfolio.com/
oldmuscle69

Re: Daytona 24 Hours

Post by oldmuscle69 »

Great pics john, i was at the columbus street course race the weekend Al Holbert lost his life in the plane crash after taking off from John Hopkins airport. Sort of a somber sunday but with Rahal / Letterman racing the event was still great and sad at the same time watching the Lowenbrau car take a lap. But at the same time the Pruitt/Ribs battle in practice was worth the ticket price,parts were flying. Had inside and paddock pass from Toyota,I'll never forget that weekend, as some from Mid Ohio.
Bob Colbert
Mike Burke

Post by Mike Burke »

Hello,

Please forgive me Bob, but the years tend to take the edge from our memories! The airport where Al Holbert crashed while taking off to spend Saturday evening with his family in Pennsylvania is actually Ohio State University's Don Scott Field. We were working as corner workers that September weekend at the "hairpin" turn with our daughter, Amy celebrating her 10th birthday hidden among the trees inside the corner though loudly cheering her namesake Amos Johnson driving in a GTU car. Yes, it made for a very sad Sunday when the news spread of Al's passing!

Mike Burke
Asheville
828 258-2442
John_Kernodle

Post by John_Kernodle »

oldmuscle69 wrote:Great pics john, i was at the columbus street course race the weekend Al Holbert lost his life in the plane crash after taking off from John Hopkins airport. Sort of a somber sunday but with Rahal / Letterman racing the event was still great and sad at the same time watching the Lowenbrau car take a lap. But at the same time the Pruitt/Ribs battle in practice was worth the ticket price,parts were flying. Had inside and paddock pass from Toyota,I'll never forget that weekend, as some from Mid Ohio.
glad you liked the pics

As I recall, Holbert was just getting the Porsche CART effort started when he was killed. Have always wondered if it would have lasted longer had he lived. My best memory of CART races at Mid-Ohio was seeing Teo Fabi take the pole on Saturday and then lead the entire race on Sunday to score what is still Porsche's only Indy car victory a year after Holbert was killed.
John P. Kernodle
2010 MX-5 Miata
http://jpkernodle.zenfolio.com/
oldmuscle69

Post by oldmuscle69 »

Yea I'm feelen bad on the airport name,Eff don,john, jim .Some times I hate I was in the Military due to brain/ thinking issues PTSD is a bitch more so when they started talking about after you had it. My wife has always said I am not the same person who returned home.
Mike Burke wrote:Hello,

Please forgive me Bob, but the years tend to take the edge from our memories! The airport where Al Holbert crashed while taking off to spend Saturday evening with his family in Pennsylvania is actually Ohio State University's Don Scott Field. We were working as corner workers that September weekend at the "hairpin" turn with our daughter, Amy celebrating her 10th birthday hidden among the trees inside the corner though loudly cheering her namesake Amos Johnson driving in a GTU car. Yes, it made for a very sad Sunday when the news spread of Al's passing!

Mike Burke
Asheville
828 258-2442
Bob Colbert