ETR #2 done!

Discussion of anything that doesn't fall into the Solo II and RallyX Categories
integra55

Re: ETR #2 done!

Post by integra55 »

MARKP wrote:There will be an event there in April, if I remember correctly.

DATE LOCATION CHAIRMAN EVENT NAME REGISTRATION ENTRY LIST
Sunday March 4 Pellissippi State

Saturday March 24 Walters State CC

Sunday March 25 Walters State CC

Sunday April 29 Pellissippi State

Sunday May 6 Bristol Motor Speedway

Saturday May 19 Walters State CC Gary Mitchell ETR Novice School
Sunday May 20 Walters State CC Gary Mitchell Regional #5

Sunday June 3 Pellissippi State

Sunday July 8 Pellissippi State

Sunday July 22 Pellissippi State

Sunday August 19 Chilhowee Park

Sunday September 16 Pellissippi State

Saturday September 29 Adesa Auto Auction

Sunday November 4 Pellissippi State
“The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.”

walter jones
'91 civic CRX, Ford F150, '14 Chevy Sonic

828-686-3245
thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

ke0ki2k wrote:course was much more fun to drive than it was walking. had a fair amount of unused asphalt out there in the center of the skidpad - but my real beef is... happen to

why only FIVE runs with a 30 second course.. and four 45 second runs last event? Even for me, 2 hours of driving/$25 spent for 2.5 minutes of running is hard to justify. Couple years back when I was running almost every event, it seemed like SIX 45-60 second runs was the norm.. ya'll anxious to get home now or something?
Didn't happen to see you throwing cones in the van at the end of the day.

There were a few guys that helped Ted and I with that. One was Don Florida. Today was his FIRST day as an ETR member. :beer:

A course is a course. This was definitely not one of my favs, and I think a lot of us would have built something different, but you know what they say about opinions. And course design is not easy.
Chris Harp
2009 Mazda RX-8 | 2018 Toyota Tundra | 2011 BMW M3
thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

lcoleman wrote:
ke0ki2k wrote:course was more fun to drive than it was walking.....
2 hours of driving/$25 spent for 2.5 minutes of running is hard to justify.
My thoughts exactly. And although I didn't like the course design, the event ran smoothly (as always).

Gosh dern momentum courses. :?
This was definitely an HP course. As a general rule, the tighter it is, the more advantageous horsepower is.

Love watching your car run.
Chris Harp
2009 Mazda RX-8 | 2018 Toyota Tundra | 2011 BMW M3
TedV

Post by TedV »

It was nice to drive a course different than the same ole local course. :rockon: Course design is a hard thing to juggle. Not to tight, not too open, not to confusing, not too easy, enough room for corner workers to not get run over, etc. etc. If the course was easy and open it would be called drag racing. Locally that lasts 7 to 10 seconds a run :wink:
Ted V.
don't make me list all my VW's
John Brown

Post by John Brown »

TedV wrote:It was nice to drive a course different than the same ole local course. :rockon: Course design is a hard thing to juggle. Not to tight, not too open, not to confusing, not too easy, enough room for corner workers to not get run over, etc. etc. If the course was easy and open it would be called drag racing. Locally that lasts 7 to 10 seconds a run :wink:

so....why..do we go to National Tours? or the Nationals?? or Zmax for that matter. I dont like courses like today..its no secret. I see no value at all in it.

It was actually very similar to the PCA event at Dollywood last year... and every SCCA driver that went there hated it. I do agree that all courses are different... but we should use the space avail. and if its not got some yee-haw factor somewhere...its not fun to me.

but,it is what it is...
ETR Pro Class Champion-2002-03-10-11-12-13-14-15
BMW/CCA D-Mod National Road Racing Champion-2011
Pro-Solo Prepared National Champ-2004
Pro-Solo Prepared National Champ-2005
2016 Dodge Challenger SRT 6.4L CAM-C
jcox07

Post by jcox07 »

Chris, the next time we have a course like today and you want to see if hp is an advan, jump in and drive the shelby, you will see very quick that this was NOT a hp course. With that said every one had to drive the same course, but it was in no way one of the better courses that we have. Lots of fun no matter what, the lot was great and a good day racing wins out for me every time no matter what the out come. JY
JY ( Jeff ) Cox
ETR R.E
2018-2021, 2022, 2023 Solo Nationals Co Chairman
2010 GT500
TedV

Post by TedV »

John Brown wrote:so....why..do we go to National Tours? or the Nationals?? or Zmax for that matter.
I've seen tighter more technical stuff at National Tours.
John Brown wrote: I dont like courses like today..its no secret. I see no value at all in it.
You would have liked it a lot more if you had won. :wink:
John Brown wrote:It was actually very similar to the PCA event at Dollywood last year... and every SCCA driver that went there hated it. I do agree that all courses are different... but we should use the space avail. and if its not got some yee-haw factor somewhere...its not fun to me.

but,it is what it is...
who would like to step up and be course designer to incorporate everything everyone wants in every course? :|
Ted V.
don't make me list all my VW's
safetyfast

Post by safetyfast »

It was my first time out and I had a blast even though I was slowest of the slow. Learned a lot and looking forward to the next one. Many thanks to the event organizers. Thanks also for the pointers from the old timers.
Greg B
2011 Mustang GT Convertible
1973 MGB
John Brown

Post by John Brown »

no..sorry. I would not have liked it even if I had won. But thats just me..Im sure it was enjoyed by all other drivers that attended.

hell..I thought karts were running from all the run off room we had. :lol: Seriously tho..that course was good for novice training purposes....but that was held yesterday. not today.
Austin Lanz

Post by Austin Lanz »

The course was tighter than I am used to, so there was challenge in today's event which was good for me. I think that the first slalom was fairly easy, I think I hit almost 60 in it so maybe the cones could have had less room in between them. The speed through that slalom made the 180 Left turn after it difficult to master though so I guess it wasn't bad. This was the first time I have run at Walter State, so I have no reference of what other designs could be made. Is it possible for us to utilize some of the extremely exciting looking road that we used for Gridding purposes in the next event?
Austin Lanz
STM 12 Evo 8
John Brown

Post by John Brown »

45-50 second is the norm at that site in the past. I remember another short one there but cant remember the course.
But we used the two S curves in the starts at a lot of the other events there.... it worked well...
steverife

Post by steverife »

Austin Lanz wrote:The course was tighter than I am used to, so there was challenge in today's event which was good for me. I think that the first slalom was fairly easy, I think I hit almost 60 in it so maybe the cones could have had less room in between them. The speed through that slalom made the 180 Left turn after it difficult to master though so I guess it wasn't bad. This was the first time I have run at Walter State, so I have no reference of what other designs could be made. Is it possible for us to utilize some of the extremely exciting looking road that we used for Gridding purposes in the next event?

The first slalom was easy in that it was foot to the floor. Trying to muscle my way around the 90 degree turn at the start, then furiously unwind the wheel, nail the shift to second at a point when the wheels are relatively straight and turn back left for the 2nd slalom cone was one of the most hateful elements that I've ran in a long time.

I'm not sure how much I actually turned the wheel, but it felt like about 3 full rotations just to enter the slalom.
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
Austin Lanz

Post by Austin Lanz »

I think that would be a good addition to the layout. Plus it has some banking as you twist out of it which is a cool feature. It looks from the registration sheets that our attendance thus far has been increased from last years and I would think that most drivers want to enjoy the maximum amount of driving time at each event in order to return. I understand where Chris is coming from about how when the "majority" of the people leave, there are a hand full of people staying to help clean-up. I admit that I did not stay to help cleanup after I received my shirt, but if we did course clean up quickly before we did the awards. It probably wouldn't take 5 minutes and I would guess that people would be more inclined to pick up if they realize that receiving their award quickly and heading home is determined by how quickly the course gets picked up and such. This is just my 2-cents.
Austin Lanz
STM 12 Evo 8
steverife

Post by steverife »

I actually liked the elements. With a softer entry into the first slalom and a little more open space between some of the elements, I think the course would have been a lot of fun.

...but that is just part of trying to design a course on a relatively small lot that we really haven't ran in a while.
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
Tachypsychia

Post by Tachypsychia »

Had a lot of fun at my first ETR event today. I look forward to getting out there more and making some competition for those of you in STM.

As for the course design, I know it's not easy to begin with, and incredibly hard to make one that allows cars of all types to have some sort of advantage. Yes, the course was short, but that just means that mistakes are less forgiving.

As for the staging area, I'd be afraid someone (not me) would end up in the guard rail, but its a neat idea. See you guys next event!
Alexander Martin
2005 Subaru STI- The Jabberwocky