ETR #2 done!

Discussion of anything that doesn't fall into the Solo II and RallyX Categories
steverife

Re: ETR #2 done!

Post by steverife »

In the past, we've used a few feet of it to start, but I wouldn't expect much more than that.
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

jcox07 wrote:Chris, the next time we have a course like today and you want to see if hp is an advan, jump in and drive the shelby, you will see very quick that this was NOT a hp course.
Jon Coatney's runs would prove otherwise, IMO. Also, Gary in P class had the most HP.

Think about it.....if you go into a tight element like the two 180's we ran, what cars are going to get out of that element the fastest, all other things being equal?

John.....yee-ha. That's EXACTLY what I said earlier. Needs moar yee ha.
Chris Harp
2009 Mazda RX-8 | 2018 Toyota Tundra | 2011 BMW M3
DynoBunny

ETR #2 done!

Post by DynoBunny »

I don't see how this was a "HP" course, I think the time sheet will show the fastest cars today were anything but powerful.
Gregory Trinkle
DynoBunny
2007 Mazdaspeed 3 GT -- DSP #13
steverife

Post by steverife »

thrdeye wrote:
jcox07 wrote:Chris, the next time we have a course like today and you want to see if hp is an advan, jump in and drive the shelby, you will see very quick that this was NOT a hp course.
Jon Coatney's runs would prove otherwise, IMO. Also, Gary in P class had the most HP.

Think about it.....if you go into a tight element like the two 180's we ran, what cars are going to get out of that element the fastest, all other things being equal?

John.....yee-ha. That's EXACTLY what I said earlier. Needs moar yee ha.
Horsepower friendly, but not 75" wide and 3600 lbs or whatever friendly. :wink:
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

DynoBunny wrote:I don't see how this was a "HP" course, I think the time sheet will show the fastest cars today were anything but powerful.
Top 3 raw - turbo, vtaks, turbo.
Chris Harp
ke0ki2k

Post by ke0ki2k »

thrdeye wrote: Didn't happen to see you throwing cones in the van at the end of the day.
I've done it before.. mainly after long days with six 60 second runs :P
DynoBunny wrote:I don't see how this was a "HP" course, I think the time sheet will show the fastest cars today were anything but powerful.
point and squirt is what Chris is getting at - fast slalom then a 180.. fast slalom then a 180 - only one fast, sweeping turn where low-weight/high grip trumped grunt

however, I did do fairly well in raw time and we've got less than 100 hp's at the wheels :pirate:
Last edited by ke0ki2k on Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
James Cathers - PFS #192 E92 M3 | TT4 E36 M3
Austin Lanz

Post by Austin Lanz »

I think the HP issue is just the proportion of tire width:whp . Coatney uses 275 wide tires to put down 175whp. JY uses 335's to put down 400+whp. That is a lot less in perspective to the amount of power. JY would need the rear wheels off a Funny Car to be able to go full throttle out of corners like Coatney can.
Austin Lanz
STM 12 Evo 8
Wheelman_13

Post by Wheelman_13 »

The course was not as painful to drive as I anticipated from walking it. The event ran smooth like buttah, I totally thought I'd lost to Bradley by a tenth until he congratulated me because I somehow fabricated a clean 31.1 that didn't exist for him. The weather ended up be warm enough to not be cold an cool enough to not be hot, and it was nice to see everyone again at an event after a lengthy off-season and missing the first event.

With respect to the number of runs, hindsight is 20/20. Yeah, in the end we had plenty of time for 6 runs (so 3 minutes of driving instead of 2.5). Had things gone as buttery smooth as they did, that would have "only" added ~45 minutes to the event. However, those responsible have to make a predictive call at the end of the first session. If they commit to 6 or 7 runs and we hit delays, then everyone's whining because they didn't make it back to wherever before 9pm and their wives, girlfriends, pets, children, parole officers, etc. gave them hell.

Everybody needs to cut everybody a little slack while we learn from mistakes. Mark's designed some fun courses, maybe he just didn't know what to do with himself without and curbs and islands restricting the design ;). Also, I'm sure the T&S decision-makers will be better able to predict run timing next time (God forbid) we have a 30s course. Lastly, it's autocross. You drive a long way to drive a little. Those are the dice you roll. "I drove 10 min from my house to get here.....7 runs + fun runs SCORE!"....or "I drove 3 hours to get here.....electrical storm, and timing problems, stand around for 2 hours in the rain, get 3 runs & done, boo".

'just sayin'.

See y'all next time.

p.s. There's a sweet spot on "HP" there. Coatney's car has power, JY's car has POWAH!. Somewhere in between is the cut-off on what's useful on a course this fast. That said, any time you have to slow down a lot and then accelerate from a slow speed, having a surplus of torque is preferable to the alternative. You still had to momentum drive this course a bit, but power helped.
Richard Graves
1992 Acura NSX
2004 Lamborghini Gallardo
youtube.com/lapoftheworld
thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

ke0ki2k wrote:
thrdeye wrote: Didn't happen to see you throwing cones in the van at the end of the day.
I've done it before.. mainly after long days with six 60 second runs :P
point and squirt is what Chris is getting at - fast slalom then a 180.. fast slalom then a 180 - only one fast, sweeping turn where low-weight/high grip trumped grunt

however, I did do fairly well in raw time and we've got less than 100 hp's at the wheels :pirate:
No worries. Just givin some grief because you raw timed me today :-[
Chris Harp
Austin Lanz

Post by Austin Lanz »

Chris, if you keep driving as fast as you are, then I'm going to have to switch to STM and slay some more vulnerable Rex's. I have let Evo owners down 2 events in a row now. lol
Austin Lanz
STM 12 Evo 8
thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

Austin Lanz wrote:Chris, if you keep driving as fast as you are, then I'm going to have to switch to STM and slay some more vulnerable Rex's. I have let Evo owners down 2 events in a row now. lol
Well SM pax is rough. You were only .4 off today. That's too close for comfort.
Chris Harp
Austin Lanz

Post by Austin Lanz »

It's not close enough for comfort!
Austin Lanz
STM 12 Evo 8
Oberstwill

Post by Oberstwill »

I wish I had made it just to see what all the complaining is about.......

Nice job Gary.
William

I only own old cars.....

and I will beat you on SNOW tires............ ;)
jcox07

Post by jcox07 »

What I am talking about Chris is I think Gary won pro without getting out of first gear and I had to downshift coming out of the 180 that went back up the hill and point and shoot is ok but point gas and then brake inside of a second is not good. This was the first course ever that I had to down shift and you would think with 700 hp and 740 lbs of torq one would not have to down shift. I did have fun, but no way was it a fun course, way too many people talking about that and too much of the lot was not used. The course was just over 3 tenths of a mile. At z-max and stone mountain the course is 1 mile or longer, I know we can't get that big, but at pelli we are 6 tenths to 8 tenths of a mile. I am just saying the lot should have been utilized better.
JY ( Jeff ) Cox
ETR R.E
2018-2021, 2022, 2023 Solo Nationals Co Chairman
2010 GT500
flier129

Post by flier129 »

The event was fun! I have a lot to learn with my car and new setup. Proper suspension makes a world of difference, lol.

Thanks to all who put it on!

And +1 on some of the course workers slacking, I thought one guy was going to get hit and he didn't even move then the car was coming at him :shock:
Marcus Luttrell - 99' Miata - GLTC/Max3/ST5 #92
Nine Lives Racing - Sales/spell-checker/IT