Pellissppi 6/3 - Nice job Will!

Discussion of anything that doesn't fall into the Solo II and RallyX Categories
TennTechMan

Re: Pellissppi 6/3 - Nice job Will!

Post by TennTechMan »

I liked most of the course. We should definitely make note of the layout for the lower lot, and use that again sometime. Maybe do something a little different with that first slalom though.

The optional 3-cone slalom at the bottom of the hill: Who was going to the left of the first cone? And who was going to the right? I went to the right because it seemed smoother/faster, but going to the left would have cut some distance. I intended to try it, but got a little "off" by the time we started our 4th runs and forgot about it. Any thoughts on which way was the right way?
Aaron Carroll

STM 11 - 91 Geo Metro
Lead Engineer of the Knoxvegas Lowballers
John Brown

Post by John Brown »

I dont see any way to have been able to literally "flat foot" it thru from the left.. shorter distance or not. When I did the no lift, it carried so much speed into the pole turn,I could not even slow down properly.. (large black marks for show and tell)

The skid pad was the death of me.. Those should only be used in training events only.. it wasted a new tire.. and went down hill from there. I lost all my time in that thing. It was the most boring 7 seconds Iv spent in my STS car in years. YMMV
Last edited by John Brown on Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
ETR Pro Class Champion-2002-03-10-11-12-13-14-15
BMW/CCA D-Mod National Road Racing Champion-2011
Pro-Solo Prepared National Champ-2004
Pro-Solo Prepared National Champ-2005
2016 Dodge Challenger SRT 6.4L CAM-C
GaryM

Post by GaryM »

I went Right because I wanted to get way downhill and open up the angle of the "jump". I would have had to stop, reverse out of the wall of cones, downshift, and 3pt tun if I came from the other side. Atleast that's what I thought during the walk.
-Gary Mitchell
Custom Magnet Numbers and Vinyl Graphics! | Unofficial Points Standings
01' Honda S2000 -99 BSR
99' Subaru Impreza 2.5RS
99' F250 Super Duty
91' SVT GEO Metro (24HhoursOfLemons!)
ke0ki2k

Post by ke0ki2k »

that whole lower section was a blast. I went right and was flat until the braking zone for the pole turn, after the pole turn I was flat out through the downhill slalom on my two 48.3 second runs, I was lifting like a sissy during my official runs. Car has so much grip with fresh RS3's, I really feel like i'll be able to compete in pro now that i'm used to it. Having 'the shakes' after each run was nice, the car is actually fun to drive again.

The skidpad didn't piss me off that bad - I actually pulled a nice Ken Block maneuver on my second run.. near full opposite lock from entry to exit, surprised that the miata had enough power to keep it going. Slow, but fun.
James Cathers - PFS #192 E92 M3 | TT4 E36 M3
thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

John Brown wrote:
The skid pad was the death of me.. Those should only be used in training events only..
+1
Chris Harp
2009 Mazda RX-8 | 2018 Toyota Tundra | 2011 BMW M3
TennTechMan

Post by TennTechMan »

ke0ki2k wrote:I really feel like i'll be able to compete in pro now that i'm used to it.

With the times you and Marcus were running, you both should be in pro once the car has a new clutch in it.
Aaron Carroll

STM 11 - 91 Geo Metro
flier129

Post by flier129 »

I had two 49.8s but I coned them away. Cones that I could of easily avoided. My car is way down on power, especially in str but if I can avoid the cones and not drive like a sissy the first 3 runs I'll come play in pro.
Marcus Luttrell - 99' Miata - GLTC/Max3/ST5 #92
Nine Lives Racing - Sales/spell-checker/IT
scottgib

Post by scottgib »

Good job.

Probably my favorite lower section. Slaloms cones should be 40" from curb. I missed this in the course setup. Sorry.

Uphill side - Way too much left handers, especially when combined with the lower part.
Old men can still dream!

Scott Gibson
John Brown

Post by John Brown »

scottgib wrote:Good job.

Probably my favorite lower section. Slaloms cones should be 40" from curb. I missed this in the course setup. Sorry.

Uphill side - Way too much left handers, especially when combined with the lower part.
rule?
suggestion??

Id venture to say they were very close or better than 40 ft. there were 4+ parking spaces between the two.
TennTechMan

Post by TennTechMan »

scottgib wrote: Slaloms cones should be 40" from curb.
They were significantly further than 40 inches from the curb.
Aaron Carroll

STM 11 - 91 Geo Metro
steverife

Post by steverife »

That rule would definitely favor smaller cars. :lol:
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
jcford80

Post by jcford80 »

Great event! Fun course. I'm ok with the skid pad but only because all the practice I got during the last EVO school. I agree that we need some more right-handers. My right side tires will thank you. The Cavvy ran great as usual. I would have liked to have gotten into the 50's. The car had it in it but I just couldn't link it all together to get there. Can't wait for the Dogfight series coming up! See everyone at Twin Fountains on the 17th!
Justin Ford
08 Solstice GXP
#151 Pro A-Street
04 Chevy Cavalier
#3 STC
rocracing2004

Post by rocracing2004 »

Will my hats off to you and Mark for doing a great job on the course. It was a lot of fun and I loved the circle because it made you look ahead so far. I wold have loved to work that station to see people come up the hill and see how they would take the right turn at the top of the hill and hit the circle. That site has great grip for what it is!

I looked at the bottom three cone section and I know there were people running to the left but I just don't see how that would make you faster when you are running up hill right after that section. John you were flying through that section! I would love to see if anybody did it both ways with data to see what the section before and after looked like.

RC
scottgib

Post by scottgib »

I guess I am foder for smart asses (not that I don't deserve it).

' not "

Yes it is a rule. 15' min. for course and '25 from edge of course to obstacle (curb).
Old men can still dream!

Scott Gibson
John Brown

Post by John Brown »

scottgib wrote:I guess I am foder for smart asses (not that I don't deserve it).

' not "

Yes it is a rule. 15' min. for course and '25 from edge of course to obstacle (curb).
So, does a slalom take a 30ft path? Or 7.5 ft from slalom cone? I looked at it real good when A.C. spun and there was well over 4 parking spaces of run off. I just want to be clear if I do another there... that was a fun slalom !!