Post Chilhowee Event...

Discussion of anything that doesn't fall into the Solo II and RallyX Categories
Knox MSP

Re: Post Chilhowee Event...

Post by Knox MSP »

Thank everyone. I had a blast, and got to remember what a fun time autocross is at the same time. I was a little rusty, and had to make some adjustments, but I had fun which is most important to me.

Oh, and great course, I loved it, and the lot.
Joe Delligatti
2003 Mazda Mazdaspeed Protege
#46 SM
thewelder

Post by thewelder »

I had a blast. Thanks to Chris for letting me spend the night, I also enjoyed got out and seeing the band. When you have a young dauther it is had to get the time to do that. I also want to thank Ted. I really enjoyed having someone in my class. I got a felling he will run CM next event and bet me in pax thou. I will try to have video up on youtube before long. Ted I couldn't see any bending in the video. I think I am OK. Chad
*Chad Summey*

E mod 78 lotus seven clone.
thewelder

Post by thewelder »

http://youtu.be/IGmoSOiDFVw
http://youtu.be/cNebeucZg8E
http://youtu.be/z5cvGB-ZPGA
http://youtu.be/5og36d1tKTU

Here are some videos. The first two are my fastest runs on both days. Third one is cold tires on Saturday. Last one was done because Steve said my back tire was flexing forword from torque. I didn't see it in the video. If you watch the wheel one skip till I start moving. I need some editing software. I also thought it was cool that mine and Ted's fastest runs were within a tenth on both days. Chad
*Chad Summey*

SilverMaxima

Post by SilverMaxima »

^ Windows Live Movie Maker. Free if you have Windows. Very basic, but simple to use and it works.

Hopefully I'll edit some of mine tonight.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
2007 STI Limited #576, The Gentleman's STI, er Mistress, FOR SALE
2004 350Zed Base
Marcus W., STU #-Random
RxCritical

Post by RxCritical »

thrdeye wrote:
Question - would you run another event on this lot if there was the opportunity?

Sorry I missed this (work and moving daughter off to college). Sounds like it was a great event!

They might be more reasonable now but this is the lot that they wanted to charge the Corvette Club $1200 plus pay for a off duty officer for security about a year ago to use for an autoX.
Maybe they were charging a corvette tax. :mrgreen:
Paul M.
C8 #34 SS
Team Canopy
flier129

Post by flier129 »

That was an extremely fun weekend! I'm every pleased with how my car has been performing, can't wait to get a fresh engine, replace my busted ball-joints and tie-rods, new bushings will help as well . :lol:

Here's the alien's run: http://youtu.be/dkIoxhcl5H0
And my run trying to play catch-up: http://youtu.be/mUj3mExEMXI

Thanks to everyone who put in the time to make this event happen. I'd definitely like to have another event there.
Marcus Luttrell - 99' Miata - GLTC/Max3/ST5 #92
Nine Lives Racing - Sales/spell-checker/IT
thewelder

Post by thewelder »

http://youtu.be/t3AMsHOEPL4

Check it out and tell my what you think. Also tell me where I am loosing time. This run looked faster to me but was 2 tenths slower. Chad
*Chad Summey*

thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

thewelder wrote:http://youtu.be/t3AMsHOEPL4

Check it out and tell my what you think. Also tell me where I am loosing time. This run looked faster to me but was 2 tenths slower. Chad
You had an obvious bobble at the fourth slalom cone...probably .2 tenths there.

Aside from that, your are several feet off of an apex cone at 0:46 in. Being off of that cone is catastrophic on this course. you had to be on it to maximize your acceleration through the final sweeper.

Also looked like you turned back to the right just a little to much headed into the finish. Just hold the car straight and let it run out.
Chris Harp
2009 Mazda RX-8 | 2018 Toyota Tundra | 2011 BMW M3
rocket71

Post by rocket71 »

thewelder wrote:http://youtu.be/t3AMsHOEPL4

I like looking at other videos and providing feedback. I feel like it makes me better, even better is the ensuing discussions.

That first slalom section except the bobble is really nice. You are full throttle and cutting those cones close.

@ 22 to 24 seconds....take a look at that range. You wait till you are almost completely past that final cone set going into the crossover and going straight before you get into the throttle. There are few other times where it feels like you wait too long to get back on the gas. Maybe like you are waiting till you know you can go full throttle before you put the squeeze on the pedal.

Chris is right about that cone @46 and that is the area I gave up the majority of my time. I don't however see what he is talking about in the final section. I feel like you need to keep it tidy through there to cut the distance. The input to keep it tidy is so small you don't lose any acceleration by cutting that distance.

BTW...that is just my opinion. Take it with a grain of salt. (oh..and the video I posted was not my fastest but the most fun, lots to pick apart in that one!! :)
GT350
TennTechMan

Post by TennTechMan »

Watching James' run at least verifies that I'm walking the course correctly and trying to do the right thing. Now I just need to work on putting it to practice. Not counting slalom cones, he made only 6 turns.

Good driving.
Aaron Carroll

STM 11 - 91 Geo Metro
Lead Engineer of the Knoxvegas Lowballers
thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

rocket71 wrote: I don't however see what he is talking about in the final section. I feel like you need to keep it tidy through there to cut the distance. The input to keep it tidy is so small you don't lose any acceleration by cutting that distance.
yeah, I totally agree with you there. What I said was that I thought he gave it too much steering. To clarify, I'm going to say "too much steering too early". All you have to do is not hit the first cone in the second wall, you don't have to turn around it. If you got the car in the right spot AND pointed at the correct angle behind the first wall, you had no worries. (Chad got the car REALLY close to the first wall by the way - very good). If the car was not pointed at the correct angle, then yes, you might be much better off adding some extra steering and getting it back over.

To sum it up, because of his accelleration capabilities, it just looked like he could have gone a little bit straighter and gone a little bit faster to me. We're probably talking hundredths or thousandths though.

Here's and image of what looks to me like him turning around the first cone in the second wall.

Chris Harp
TedV

Post by TedV »

thewelder wrote:I also want to thank Ted. I really enjoyed having someone in my class. I got a felling he will run CM next event and bet me in pax thou. I will try to have video up on youtube before long. Ted I couldn't see any bending in the video. I think I am OK. Chad
Ya welcome. I know what it's like to run in class all by yourself. I'm not a huge fan of pax since so many variables impact it, blah blah etc. Its the best system to equalize times so far but if it was perfect all the national champions in Lincoln would end up with the exact same number in PAX. :wink: If I run the CM car local again I will most likely bump to AM just to make a class. Completely removing the rear sway bar seemed to allow it to respond to turning the knobs on the shocks. Maybe the camera needed to be pointed at that rear suspension not yours. :lol: Now I'm wondering if the bar binding has been the cause of the unpredictable snap spin all along. ??? It was MUCH more predictable and catch-able sunday. My last run felt the best, but timer issue looks to be keeping what I actually turned a secret. Oh well, with the rain that came I'm glad I didn't check into a rerun.

I tip toed thru both the downhill-uphill sweeper and the right hand sweeper towards the finish. 5+ year old R25A's also might have something to do with that. :oops: :mrgreen:
Ted V.
don't make me list all my VW's
thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

oh and chad you are welcome down anytime.
Chris Harp
Jek

Post by Jek »

Really enjoyed the event, especially the team runoff! Being in such esteemed company and not wanting to let my team down apparently gave me the motivation to drop from a 39.3/39.4 (where I'd been hanging all weekend) to a 38.7 :rockon:

This event made me feel like I'm finally catching up with my old self after my 4 year hiatus from AutoX, heh.
David Black
Johnson City, TN
'97 BMW M3 - STU 48
SilverMaxima

Post by SilverMaxima »

Last edited by SilverMaxima on Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
2007 STI Limited #576, The Gentleman's STI, er Mistress, FOR SALE
2004 350Zed Base
Marcus W., STU #-Random