Knox Dragstrip Tonight

Discussion of anything that doesn't fall into the Solo II and RallyX Categories
SilverMaxima

Knox Dragstrip Tonight

Post by SilverMaxima »

If anyone's interested, me and some friends are heading to Knox Dragstrip tonight. Probably get there around 8:30ish.
2007 STI Limited #576, The Gentleman's STI, er Mistress, FOR SALE
2004 350Zed Base
Marcus W., STU #-Random
TennTechMan

Re: Knox Dragstrip Tonight

Post by TennTechMan »

Can't be there tonight. Is this a weekly thing though? I'd like to get my truck out there sometime.
Aaron Carroll

STM 11 - 91 Geo Metro
Lead Engineer of the Knoxvegas Lowballers
jcoatney

Post by jcoatney »

I can't make it but is it open to all vehicles on Friday night or are you going to watch?
Jon Coatney
03 Mach 1-CAMC 99
http://www.tennfab.com/
TennTechMan

Post by TennTechMan »

I want to go out there and run my truck. I just can't do it tonight.
Aaron Carroll

STM 11 - 91 Geo Metro
Lead Engineer of the Knoxvegas Lowballers
steverife

Post by steverife »

The drag racing is a weekly thing. Drag racing a Subie probably wouldn't be a weekly thing for too long.

The CRX has been telling me it wants to do this for a long time, though it might be next month before I can.
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
SilverMaxima

Post by SilverMaxima »

^ It's been a weekly thing since last week. ;)

It's fun to go, and since I usually don't do anything Friday night, why not? :lol:
jcoatney wrote:I can't make it but is it open to all vehicles on Friday night or are you going to watch?
Anyone can run, Friday is Test & Tune night. I wouldn't waste the gas or $$$ to go watch, that's for sure. :lol:
2004 350Zed Base
Marcus W., STU #-Random
ConeEater

Post by ConeEater »

I'm hoping the weather will be good the weekend of the 29th. I'm coming down for the autocross and oping to get Kim out to run her car ( and mine ) that Friday night.

Oh, and those AWD Scoobies are great in the 1/8 mile... it's the OTHER 1/8 that causes them to run out of steam :)

My cousin's bugeye was a great WRX back then until it ate 2 gearboxes. Now with a full STI swap and god knows what else it's not seen a strip in a long time.

Wait..... crap she's having a Corvette party that night... blast!
Brian Huber
2021 Stingray Coupe ( NOT for cone hitting )
2016 Scion FR-ETH 58/158 SSC
Scalded Snail Racing
SilverMaxima

Post by SilverMaxima »

The other 1/8 mile...? Not this one... :twisted:

I'd rather practice launching my car on standard-issue pavement than the slick stuff at the dragstrip, but whatever.
2004 350Zed Base
Marcus W., STU #-Random
oldmuscle69

Post by oldmuscle69 »

I've launched a built NA civic at Knoxville and blew the tires off all the way down,and the shut down at night was not fun. Havent ran there since Tommy and TJ took over the track. The NA civic since blown to bits on the street.
Bob Colbert
ConeEater

Post by ConeEater »

SilverMaxima wrote:The other 1/8 mile...? Not this one... :twisted:

I'd rather practice launching my car on standard-issue pavement than the slick stuff at the dragstrip, but whatever.
We've got some ( or at least had some ) very quick DSMs and STI's here but I've not seen many at the strip in a while. I think allot have moved on to TT's and track days now.

I usually hit the strip only 1 or 2 times a year tops, and that's just to keep my reflexes in tact for Pro SOlos
Brian Huber
Scalded Snail Racing
SilverMaxima

Post by SilverMaxima »

ConeEater wrote:We've got some ( or at least had some ) very quick DSMs and STI's here but I've not seen many at the strip in a while. I think allot have moved on to TT's and track days now.

I usually hit the strip only 1 or 2 times a year tops, and that's just to keep my reflexes in tact for Pro SOlos
I don't blame them... :lol:

My launching right now is crap, as reflected by my quickest time of 8.853. With 382/380 at the wheels, I should be low 8s on a bad pass. But, I really just need to work on launching... Still.

Tonight was a bad night to go, anyway. We managed 3 passes in 2-2.5 hours. I'm waiting to go to the line, the built S10 in front of me launches with so much torque his rear-left wheel decides it's had enough and leaves him. Fast forward 30 min, and the built drag car beside me blows his motor somewhere down the track, leaking fluids everywhere.
2004 350Zed Base
Marcus W., STU #-Random
ConeEater

Post by ConeEater »

My cousin gave up on buidling his car ( and others' ) for the strip a while back. His 02 has become a rolling catalog for his exhuast/car build biz up here. His WRX is barely an autocross car now due to the power delivery and he's building a customer's nice DSP 99 2.5RS that he co-drives and uses his to prep for Time Trials and track days.

Sorry to hear that the night was a bust. Our local 1/4 strip can get about 100-200 cars easily each TNT night and we're lucky to get 3 runs in with no breakages. My friend's 81 Camaro does 10.20s on the motor and after the fogger gets sorted it will be way down in the 9's. I know he ran a 9.56 @ 145 and that was getting out of it after 1000 ft.

Never done 1/8 mile track before. Maybe next year I'll make it down on a night they're running.
Brian Huber
Scalded Snail Racing
steverife

Post by steverife »

What is your trap, Marcus?
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
SilverMaxima

Post by SilverMaxima »

^ 85.993. Bounce off the rev limit in 3rd right before the 1/8 mark.
ConeEater wrote:My cousin gave up on buidling his car ( and others' ) for the strip a while back. His 02 has become a rolling catalog for his exhuast/car build biz up here. His WRX is barely an autocross car now due to the power delivery and he's building a customer's nice DSP 99 2.5RS that he co-drives and uses his to prep for Time Trials and track days.

Sorry to hear that the night was a bust. Our local 1/4 strip can get about 100-200 cars easily each TNT night and we're lucky to get 3 runs in with no breakages. My friend's 81 Camaro does 10.20s on the motor and after the fogger gets sorted it will be way down in the 9's. I know he ran a 9.56 @ 145 and that was getting out of it after 1000 ft.

Never done 1/8 mile track before. Maybe next year I'll make it down on a night they're running.
Just curious, what's the shop name...? There's a shop in NC that campaigns an older 2.5RS in DSP and does TT around the SE.

Sheesh, only 3...? Suppose last night wasn't so bad, then. :lol: I can't imagine something that fast in the 1/4...
2004 350Zed Base
Marcus W., STU #-Random
ConeEater

Post by ConeEater »

His biz is called Moore Performance & race parts. Started out as just custom exhuasts taylored to Subys. Bases outside of Pittsburgh, Pa ( bridgeville ).
https://mooreperformanceparts.com/Home_Page.html

He has some really crazy Foresters that they've done and tinkering on his car with different setups to sell.

I had my Z up the strip last year on old A6s in the rear and managed a 12.7 @ 116.
I thought that was quick until I saw my buddy's Camaro his low 10s that first time...
Brian Huber
Scalded Snail Racing