Knox Dragstrip Tonight

Discussion of anything that doesn't fall into the Solo II and RallyX Categories
SilverMaxima

Re: Knox Dragstrip Tonight

Post by SilverMaxima »

Damn, Moore Performance? Yeah, I've seen a good bit of their stuff on the Subaru forums. I wouldn't mind trying the quarter if we had one convenient to Knoxville.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
2007 STI Limited #576, The Gentleman's STI, er Mistress, FOR SALE
2004 350Zed Base
Marcus W., STU #-Random
TedV

Post by TedV »

Bristol too far a drive? :P
Ted V.
don't make me list all my VW's
SilverMaxima

Post by SilverMaxima »

TedV wrote:Bristol too far a drive? :P
For me to make a few passes down a 1/4 mile strip of pavement, oh, yeah! :mrgreen:

2004 350Zed Base
Marcus W., STU #-Random
ConeEater

Post by ConeEater »

Well Marcus, if you ever need anything from his biz, let me know. If you need something I can always bring it down to Knoxville on a trip down there (usually 1-2 times a month ).

So, there's no 1/4 mile strips down that way? That sucks!
Brian Huber
2021 Stingray Coupe ( NOT for cone hitting )
2016 Scion FR-ETH 58/158 SSC
Scalded Snail Racing
SilverMaxima

Post by SilverMaxima »

ConeEater wrote:Well Marcus, if you ever need anything from his biz, let me know. If you need something I can always bring it down to Knoxville on a trip down there (usually 1-2 times a month ).

So, there's no 1/4 mile strips down that way? That sucks!
Thanks! I think a guy from Chattanooga Region may be in the market for a downpipe for his 07 STI, prepping for STU.

Well, we have 1/4 in Bristol, TN, which is about 2 hours from Knoxville. But that's the only one I know of in East TN. Not worth the drive to me.
2004 350Zed Base
Marcus W., STU #-Random
ConeEater

Post by ConeEater »

Oh I agree... I wouldn't be driving from your place to Bristol for a few passes.... I drive past there on the way back up here.

I'm lucky that our strips are all between 25-55 minutes from the house or office.
Brian Huber
2021 Stingray Coupe ( NOT for cone hitting )
2016 Scion FR-ETH 58/158 SSC
Scalded Snail Racing
Pewter Sonoma

Post by Pewter Sonoma »

Something is wrong. With 382/380 at the wheels, AWD, you should be running lower than high 8s, and faster than 86mph. Either the dyno you went to is very generous, or your car weighs about 600 lbs more than I thought. What's that car weigh stock? With those dyno numbers, 88-90mph sounds more like it. I still can't belive your ET isn't lower with AWD.
2011 ETR SCCA never made it to an event Champion
2001 Camaro SS Convertible - LS1, 6-speed, GMPP HotCam, Full Exhaust, Konis, Springs, Sways, Roll Cage, Wilwood Brakes.
SilverMaxima

Post by SilverMaxima »

Pewter Sonoma wrote:Something is wrong. With 382/380 at the wheels, AWD, you should be running lower than high 8s, and faster than 86mph. Either the dyno you went to is very generous, or your car weighs about 600 lbs more than I thought. What's that car weigh stock? With those dyno numbers, 88-90mph sounds more like it. I still can't belive your ET isn't lower with AWD.
I'll tell you what's wrong... I can't launch my car. :-P Mentioned it earlier. If I could launch decently, I'd be in good shape. My car before all this was mid to high 8s capable, or should've been.

2004 350Zed Base
Marcus W., STU #-Random
steverife

Post by steverife »

The trap did seem a little low, but maybe that is because you are bogging the launch really bad. I know that if you blow off your tires at the launch, you will have an artificially high trap.
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
Pewter Sonoma

Post by Pewter Sonoma »

steverife wrote:The trap did seem a little low, but maybe that is because you are bogging the launch really bad. I know that if you blow off your tires at the launch, you will have an artificially high trap.
I thought of this too, but I don't think it's the case. I've seen guys have terrible 60' times, then have a great launch and have the same trap speeds, but just different ETs. Trap speed is a good indication of power, and with 380 HP to the wheels, this car should be seeing higher than 85.9mph. I question the dyno at this point. His ET doesn't dictate the trapspeed much at all, maybe +/- 1mph. Bog or a great launch should still be showing similiar trap speeds.

Marcus, did you try shifting earlier? Meaning perhaps shifting at redline puts you past your torque curve for the next gear and shifting lower might put you in a better part of the curve?
2001 Camaro SS Convertible - LS1, 6-speed, GMPP HotCam, Full Exhaust, Konis, Springs, Sways, Roll Cage, Wilwood Brakes.
Pewter Sonoma

Post by Pewter Sonoma »

SilverMaxima wrote:
Pewter Sonoma wrote:Something is wrong. With 382/380 at the wheels, AWD, you should be running lower than high 8s, and faster than 86mph. Either the dyno you went to is very generous, or your car weighs about 600 lbs more than I thought. What's that car weigh stock? With those dyno numbers, 88-90mph sounds more like it. I still can't belive your ET isn't lower with AWD.
I'll tell you what's wrong... I can't launch my car. :-P Mentioned it earlier. If I could launch decently, I'd be in good shape. My car before all this was mid to high 8s capable, or should've been.

Launching won't have much of an affect on your trap speed. What does that car weigh? What kind of dyno?
SilverMaxima

Post by SilverMaxima »

The STi should be about 3350 curb weight, say 3625 with me in it, plus miscellanous crap, so a solid 3650...?

I didn't try shifting earlier, as power barely drops off towards redline. I think I was shifting about 6500 (7k redline).

Dyno info: http://www.iwsti.com/forums/power-bragg ... ports.html
2004 350Zed Base
Marcus W., STU #-Random
thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

Man you barely edged out my old black WRX

8.87 @ 77MPH
1.87 60 ft.
Chris Harp
2009 Mazda RX-8 | 2018 Toyota Tundra | 2011 BMW M3
Pewter Sonoma

Post by Pewter Sonoma »

Ah, it's a dynojet dyno. It's probably a little happy on the outcome numbers. 380/380 should be netting much faster trap speeds at 3600 lbs. Just for comparison - mine weighs ~ 350lbs more with me in it, I dynoed 20/20 less than you, and we trap the same...and I'm far from the best driver at a drag strip.

For launching practice, I would love for autocross to start doing a 30' or 60' time, just to compare different launch techniques. I know this would vary per event, but one could compare pass to pass per event.
SilverMaxima

Post by SilverMaxima »

Isn't the Mustang the "heartbreaker" dyno...? If so, my #s on the same dyno you used should be pretty close to yours.

I think a good launch makes a good bit of difference. My times have varied anywhere from 8.85 to ~ 9.7 seconds for the 1/8, mostly depending on launch.

Chris, I ran similar times back when my car had ~100 WHP less. Yes, I can't drive fast in a straight line. :lol:
2004 350Zed Base
Marcus W., STU #-Random