Setting Miata Ride Height

Discussion of anything that doesn't fall into the Solo II and RallyX Categories
flier129

Re: Setting Miata Ride Height

Post by flier129 »

From KW's site:

"The 2-way race shocks are specifically valved for use on the race track, and use a linear spring in all applications."

That's why JY's spring-rate increases as the car get lower. The Xidas that Disney got have the fancy hyperco linear springs, spring-rate won't change no matter how much they are compressed.

Edit: Wait, JY do you have v2s or v3s. The next sentences reads:

"The V3 is valved specifically for maximum street performance. The V3 also uses a progressive spring in some cases."

edit again: Harp you got me confused on linear vs progressive. Progressive springs will increase in rate as it's compressed, linear keeps the same rates.

On another note, AST dropped their contingency for Solo II :(. Berry! Still wanna buy some MCS credit?!
Marcus Luttrell - 99' Miata - GLTC/Max3/ST5 #92
Nine Lives Racing - Sales/spell-checker/IT
rocket71

Post by rocket71 »

July
flier129 wrote:From KW's site:

"The 2-way race shocks are specifically valved for use on the race track, and use a linear spring in all applications."

That's why JY's spring-rate increases as the car get lower. The Xidas that Disney got have the fancy hyperco linear springs, spring-rate won't change no matter how much they are compressed.

Edit: Wait, JY do you have v2s or v3s. The next sentences reads:

"The V3 is valved specifically for maximum street performance. The V3 also uses a progressive spring in some cases."

edit again: Harp you got me confused on linear vs progressive. Progressive springs will increase in rate as it's compressed, linear keeps the same rates.

On another note, AST dropped their contingency for Solo II :(. Berry! Still wanna buy some MCS credit?!
Wait do you have some?
GT350
flier129

Post by flier129 »

Not right now :D
Marcus Luttrell - 99' Miata - GLTC/Max3/ST5 #92
Nine Lives Racing - Sales/spell-checker/IT
thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

A progressive spring goes from soft to harder.

Linear springs can be preloaded. This doesn't increase the rate of the spring, but it doe increase the amount of load it takes before it starts compressing. My understanding anyway.

I don't understand how lowering your car would increase rate unless you had progressive springs and were lowering the car without moving the lower spring perch.
Chris Harp
2009 Mazda RX-8 | 2018 Toyota Tundra | 2011 BMW M3
MikeKelly

Post by MikeKelly »

thewelder wrote:Mike. I have a set of scales with ramps and turntables. But I live in Kingsport. I also don't have a good place to set tham up. If you can't find a set down that way let me know. I could bring them down. Chad
Thanks Chad,

I'll probably take you up on that later in the season.

Not sure I'm going to be quite ready for the first autox anyway.
Mike Kelly
"Still got the shovel..."
--Mr. Rate
thewelder

Post by thewelder »

I am hoping to have mine done by the Aug national in Ohio. But I need to test some before that. Chad
*Chad Summey*

E mod 78 lotus seven clone.
GaryM

Post by GaryM »

Making a spring lower on the shock doesn't effect the spring rate unless you are pre-loading the spring.

If you are talking lower, as in a 6in spring instead of a 7in spring with the same diameter coil, than the spring rate does change (higher for the shorter spring) This is why cutting springs makes a car's suspension firmer.
-Gary Mitchell
Custom Magnet Numbers and Vinyl Graphics! | Unofficial Points Standings
01' Honda S2000 -99 BSR
99' Subaru Impreza 2.5RS
99' F250 Super Duty
91' SVT GEO Metro (24HhoursOfLemons!)
John Brown

Post by John Brown »

GaryM wrote:Making a spring lower on the shock doesn't effect the spring rate unless you are pre-loading the spring.

If you are talking lower, as in a 6in spring instead of a 7in spring with the same diameter coil, than the spring rate does change (higher for the shorter spring) This is why cutting springs makes a car's suspension firmer.
this kinda lost me. So, your saying if I get a 500lb spring in a 6in and a 7in long configuration...the shorter one will be stiffer??

because I think thats not correct.. the coil bind is different..and some cars have to have clearance issues adjusted by bottom perch location.. ( different lengths)
A 500lb/in spring thats non progressive..is just that. school me. :)
ETR Pro Class Champion-2002-03-10-11-12-13-14-15
BMW/CCA D-Mod National Road Racing Champion-2011
Pro-Solo Prepared National Champ-2004
Pro-Solo Prepared National Champ-2005
2016 Dodge Challenger SRT 6.4L CAM-C
TedV

Post by TedV »

I took it he ment both springs had the same diameter of wire. Shorter length will have a stiffer rate. I don't buy springs acording to the wire diameter tho. I just get the free length, rate and block length (length of spring in coil bind) in the perch diameter needed.

I am confused on the lowering the car increases the spring rate statement. It could mean several things that I could speculate about... :? If you cut a spring to lower a car it will increase the rate unless it is only dead coils (already in coil bind) that you cut off.
Ted V.
don't make me list all my VW's
oldmuscle69

Post by oldmuscle69 »

Once the pinch weld is reached What happens next?
Bob Colbert
TedV

Post by TedV »

oldmuscle69 wrote:Once the pinch weld is reached What happens next?
you measure and adjust.

Oh and drink beer. :wink:
Ted V.
don't make me list all my VW's
GaryM

Post by GaryM »

John Brown wrote:
GaryM wrote:Making a spring lower on the shock doesn't effect the spring rate unless you are pre-loading the spring.

this kinda lost me. So, your saying if I get a 500lb spring in a 6in and a 7in long configuration...the shorter one will be stiffer??

because I think thats not correct.. the coil bind is different..and some cars have to have clearance issues adjusted by bottom perch location.. ( different lengths)
A 500lb/in spring thats non progressive..is just that. school me. :)
No, a 500 lb spring in 6in is the same as a 500 lb spring in 7in. But... if you were to take the 7in 500lb spring, and cut an inch out of it, it would be stiffer than our previously mentioned 6in 500lb spring.
-Gary Mitchell
Custom Magnet Numbers and Vinyl Graphics! | Unofficial Points Standings
01' Honda S2000 -99 BSR
99' Subaru Impreza 2.5RS
99' F250 Super Duty
91' SVT GEO Metro (24HhoursOfLemons!)
John Brown

Post by John Brown »

ok.. Ill buy in on that. lol
ETR Pro Class Champion-2002-03-10-11-12-13-14-15
BMW/CCA D-Mod National Road Racing Champion-2011
Pro-Solo Prepared National Champ-2004
Pro-Solo Prepared National Champ-2005
2016 Dodge Challenger SRT 6.4L CAM-C
jcox07

Post by jcox07 »

Lowering my car does not increase the rate it decreases it. If the spring is loaded at all on the carand you lower the car the spring has less load on it and will travel more which with a load already on it makes it travel less and mine are the variant III coilovers. JY
JY ( Jeff ) Cox
ETR R.E
2018-2021, 2022, 2023 Solo Nationals Co Chairman
2010 GT500
thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

Ya lost me again.
Chris Harp
2009 Mazda RX-8 | 2018 Toyota Tundra | 2011 BMW M3