Can anyone recommend a good chiropractor?

Discussion of anything that doesn't fall into the Solo II and RallyX Categories
01badz28

Re: Can anyone recommend a good chiropractor?

Post by 01badz28 »

thrdeye wrote:The massage route would be a lot cheaper to "give it a try"
Plus you might get a happy ending.
Ryan E. Jarrard
2001 Camaro Z28, SM #24
2011 BMW M3 Coupe
1989 BMW M3
steverife

Post by steverife »

01badz28 wrote:
thrdeye wrote:The massage route would be a lot cheaper to "give it a try"
Plus you might get a happy ending.
When I was looking at massage therapists, about half of them specified they were non-sexual. Only can only assume what that means for the other half... :lol:
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
rocket71

Post by rocket71 »

Dr. Langley to the rescue....likely should keep my mouth shut.... :wink:

Do you exercise? Ab work? Stretch? Do you sit all day? Any repetitive motion or lack of motion? If you turn sideways in the mirror, does your stomach exceed your chest by more than just a marginal amount? :)

If you are in the negative answers to the above then a Chiro or Massage therapist will end up being like a monthly fee you will never stop. A good one will tell you what you need to be doing to keep from having to keep going forever.

I had a serious lower back issue lately. It hurts all the time, tingling at times in my right leg. Then one day, I tried to pull the tongue of the race trailer over 2" to get it on the ball of the truck. I felt something in my back, 2 days later I was hurting really badly. I went to a Chiro, marginal effect. I was at the gym and told one of the trainers about my problem. She refered me to a massage therapist who she said did, "body work". I thought, OMG, another quack. I was at ropes end so I went. He (yes he) told me up front it would be more they a Physical Therapist visit than massage. After about a 1/2 hour of massage he started pulling and bending to test my mobility. At the end he gave me three stretches that I now do daily and my back pain has gone away.

Basically, find a good massage therapist who will help you find a way to "fix" the cause not just go to them to treat the symptoms.
GT350
thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

rocket71 wrote:
Basically, find a good massage therapist who will help you find a way to "fix" the cause not just go to them to treat the symptoms.
Boom. This.

Marian has taken the eastern medicine to heart - fix the problem, not the symptom. We did Kung Fu together for years.
Chris Harp
2009 Mazda RX-8 | 2018 Toyota Tundra | 2011 BMW M3
01badz28

Post by 01badz28 »

rocket71 wrote:Dr. Langley to the rescue....likely should keep my mouth shut.... :wink:

Do you exercise? Ab work? Stretch? Do you sit all day? Any repetitive motion or lack of motion? If you turn sideways in the mirror, does your stomach exceed your chest by more than just a marginal amount? :)

If you are in the negative answers to the above then a Chiro or Massage therapist will end up being like a monthly fee you will never stop. A good one will tell you what you need to be doing to keep from having to keep going forever.

I had a serious lower back issue lately. It hurts all the time, tingling at times in my right leg. Then one day, I tried to pull the tongue of the race trailer over 2" to get it on the ball of the truck. I felt something in my back, 2 days later I was hurting really badly. I went to a Chiro, marginal effect. I was at the gym and told one of the trainers about my problem. She refered me to a massage therapist who she said did, "body work". I thought, OMG, another quack. I was at ropes end so I went. He (yes he) told me up front it would be more they a Physical Therapist visit than massage. After about a 1/2 hour of massage he started pulling and bending to test my mobility. At the end he gave me three stretches that I now do daily and my back pain has gone away.

/\ Boom. About two years ago I was 295 pounds. My back hurt all the time, my knees hurt, couldn't touch my toes, etc. Pretty much felt like I was about to die after changing tires at an autocross.

Started working out regularly (about as well as work will allow). Took 75 pounds off, joints don't hurt anymore, back doesn't hurt anymore, neck doesn't hurt anymore, flexibility and endurance has improved tremendously. Don't feel like I'm going to have a heart attack every time I move the tire trailer around. I feel better now that I did when I was in my 20s.

Not saying that is the end all cure, but it sure as hell helps - and is cheaper than regular doctor visits.
Ryan E. Jarrard
2001 Camaro Z28, SM #24
2011 BMW M3 Coupe
1989 BMW M3
MikeKelly

Post by MikeKelly »

rocket71 wrote:Do you exercise? Ab work? Stretch? Do you sit all day? Any repetitive motion or lack of motion? If you turn sideways in the mirror, does your stomach exceed your chest by more than just a marginal amount? :) <snip> etc
That's all (very) similar to chiropractic, including the physical therapy / workout part - but I still like going once a month just to get my back pulled / pushed / tugged.

There are definately several approaches to the same sorts of issues...
Mike Kelly
"Still got the shovel..."
--Mr. Rate
steverife

Post by steverife »

I get what you guys are saying. I'm not sure how applicable it is...

I just want to get to a point where it isn't hard to breath while I'm sitting...
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
Knox MSP

Post by Knox MSP »

01badz28 wrote: /\ Boom. About two years ago I was 295 pounds. My back hurt all the time, my knees hurt, couldn't touch my toes, etc. Pretty much felt like I was about to die after changing tires at an autocross.

Started working out regularly (about as well as work will allow). Took 75 pounds off, joints don't hurt anymore, back doesn't hurt anymore, neck doesn't hurt anymore, flexibility and endurance has improved tremendously. Don't feel like I'm going to have a heart attack every time I move the tire trailer around. I feel better now that I did when I was in my 20s.

Not saying that is the end all cure, but it sure as hell helps - and is cheaper than regular doctor visits.
This.

You all know how much weigh I've lost, and before, like Ryan, I was in terrible shape. My hips were bad, knees were bad, I had abdominal pain when twisting or bending, and I also dreaded changing tires. Now a year and a half later I am in the best shape of my life. I do 30 mins of cardio 5 days a week, weight lift 3 days a week, and have never felt more energetic, and enthused about life. die and excersize changed my life.

Get fit.
Joe Delligatti
2003 Mazda Mazdaspeed Protege
#46 SM
oldmuscle69

Post by oldmuscle69 »

Thought about a MRI ? the results are real.
Bob Colbert
Oberstwill

Post by Oberstwill »

Might as well go get some chicken bones and a witch doctor. A good old school medieval rack set up will also realign your back for you......... :wink:

Go see a doctor with an MD associated in their title. KOC has some very good doctors.
William

I only own old cars.....

and I will beat you on SNOW tires............ ;)
steverife

Post by steverife »

Already went that route. They seem to only be good for giving me a painkiller that I don't want/can't use and trying to get me to take a shit ton of ex-rays.
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

I'm with Rife. If/when I go to a real doctor again, they will at least be a DO, not MD.
Chris Harp
2009 Mazda RX-8 | 2018 Toyota Tundra | 2011 BMW M3
steverife

Post by steverife »

Well, 2 days of not being forced to sit at a desk seem to help a lot. I'm still not 100% and sitting in a car hurts me, but it is a lot better. I'll see how things go after a full day of work today, but I may hold off on the chiro for now. I do think I'm going to try the massage thing.
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
TedV

Post by TedV »

Is your chair a POS and causing the condition? I've had some real torture chairs. No wallet in he back pocket and a good supportive non broken down chair solved most of the problems.
Ted V.
don't make me list all my VW's
steverife

Post by steverife »

The chair is as good as anything you are going to see in a typical office setting and I've never driven/sat with a wallet in my pocket.

My core could be stronger and my posture could use work, but this is something that progressed from an injury when I was lifting a 15lb spere over my head and trying to thrust and spin it as hard as I possibly can.
'16 FRS - PSTX 97