The Official "Ima goin ta Dixie" thread.

Discussion of anything that doesn't fall into the Solo II and RallyX Categories
TedV

Re: The Official "Ima goin ta Dixie" thread.

Post by TedV »

Are the match results posted anywhere

Eric, yours and Steves runs look a lot more fun than the downtown Atlanta traffic I passed you in. You must have seen me in the diesel coming because you got the window rolled up just about the time I got to ya. :lol:
Ted V.
don't make me list all my VW's
steverife

Post by steverife »

Looks pretty fun. I wish I made it....

I love being able to watch Dixie from the stands... and being about to p00p in a real bathroom at an autocross.
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

steverife wrote:and being about to p00p in a real bathroom at an autocross.
This one time, at Dixie...my knife fell out of my pocket and into some liquid that had backed up in the floor from the drainage. That sucked. A good knife so I tuff'd up and pulled it out of there and immediately proceeded to washing up.
Chris Harp
2009 Mazda RX-8 | 2018 Toyota Tundra | 2011 BMW M3
Jek

Post by Jek »

What a fun first national event! I guess the format was a bit weird for you guys, but having 4 runs was great for me (aside from blowing the 4th run with leaving traction control on...aargh!) as a new driver. I ended up being 3rd out of 4 in the class, so not last woot!

Does anyone know who the photographer was on-site, or where he posts his pictures?
David Black
Johnson City, TN
'97 BMW M3 - STU 48
thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

Perry Bennet. Also, follow SoloMatters on FB if you haven't already.
Chris Harp
ConeEater

Post by ConeEater »

also keep an eye on gotcone.com

while those guys aren' everywhere, they do make events here and there.

I think I like the match tour setup, it's not quite a pro, but not a tour. Pros are just darn fun though.
Brian Huber
2021 Stingray Coupe ( NOT for cone hitting )
2016 Scion FR-ETH 58/158 SSC
Scalded Snail Racing
oldmuscle69

Post by oldmuscle69 »

O k who besides POOP knife has any results on this recent expedition down south? Just asking! :o :o
Bob Colbert
MARKP

Post by MARKP »

Perry is on Facebook. Look him up there. Lots of good autocross pics.

I didn't drive as well as I had hoped. The car had it in there but I just couldn't take advantage of it.

Steve H. did well. He ended up 2nd and was leading until the last runs on 2nd drivers. He got paired with someone that went really far into the challenge rounds and was out in the first round.
Mark Pilson
03 Z06 - Sword
09 Mustang - Club
01 Excursion - The safe you dropped from the 10th story
thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

Mark, your thoughts on the format? As in.... the top 32 get to sit on Sunday while other get warm up laps if they are fast enough? Do you think the pressure of trying to be an LCQ offsets any advantage you would have by getting to run?
Chris Harp
jcox07

Post by jcox07 »

I was not in the shootout, but from watching it did appear that those from the lcq or draw that got to run did a little better than those that waited. It was warm and that helped the tires that require heat, so if you got to run and your tires had heat, you did have a little advantage. The final four cars were a mix of cars, miata, audi, honda and a f-mod car that won. From all of the shootouts that I have been to, it seems that the smaller car has a edge so far, with JB winning two last year and the b-mod in blytheville in Oct. of last year and I do think that the course has a lot to do with what kind of car will do better or who is really on top of the game and not hitting cones, that seems to be the problem for the bigger cars. I like the format of the evo, but I wish it was its own event. The numbers of cars has the most impact on the evo not being its own event. The big guns may like the evo to be its own event as well because it probably pays better that way.
JY ( Jeff ) Cox
ETR R.E
2018-2021, 2022, 2023 Solo Nationals Co Chairman
2010 GT500
MARKP

Post by MARKP »

thrdeye wrote:Mark, your thoughts on the format? As in.... the top 32 get to sit on Sunday while other get warm up laps if they are fast enough? Do you think the pressure of trying to be an LCQ offsets any advantage you would have by getting to run?
I'm not sure I like the format that much. I don't think I would like to be one of the top 32 not getting to run until the elimination rounds. I ran the LCQ qualifying runs but I really didn't feel pressured. I was more pissed about my driving. :lol: I don't think the LCQ runs are any more pressure than the top 32 runs. I would probably consider the actual class competition more pressure. Anything after class competition is just a bonus, IMO. All that said, the last thing I want to do is deter anyone from trying one of these. You never know, you might find this to be the most fun event you have attended.

Overall, I guess this might be a little more fun in some respects than a tour. I still think a Pro Solo is the most fun autocrossing. Lining up paired with your competition, christmas tree starts, being able to glance at your competition when you turn toward each other, it all adds a really cool element that you don't get anywhere else. I also like the fact that the Pro Solo elimination rounds are based on your performance for that weekend, not Pax. Pax is good for comparison at local stuff since it is about all we have. We can do better at elimination events and we should.
Mark Pilson
03 Z06 - Sword
09 Mustang - Club
01 Excursion - The safe you dropped from the 10th story
Scoob

Post by Scoob »

^^^ That's why we have 4 Pros on our schedule this year. Nothing else like it.

This was the only Match on our schedule this year (since Wilmington was canceled) and it would be the last without changes to the run format.
Scott Boito
#68 CAM-S C5 Z06
SEDIV SSS

BetterOffRacing
mutant

Post by mutant »

sunday,in the begining of the challenge-i was frustrated by the lack of pertinent info by event organizers-they kept saying,"this group runs here-that group works there...ect"-but there was no data on what group i was in,Rrrrrr...it was a fun event-but i felt "off" all weekend...cold tires were also a big hurdle on sunday...i would recommend it to anyone-it was fun and challenging! :rockon:
`93 geo metro conv.
`90 miata
`88crx-ita, 2002 STS Ford Focus SVT-presently mutated :(Image

steve haupt-the one and only.........................so far..................................................
rocracing2004

Post by rocracing2004 »

Chris,

This format is great fun, but its true its better if you are faster out of the gates and get into the top 32. I would love to go run another one that didn't have rain the second day. :? John did his rain dance that day!

RC
John Brown

Post by John Brown »

pfffT ! I hate the rain.... :lol:
ETR Pro Class Champion-2002-03-10-11-12-13-14-15
BMW/CCA D-Mod National Road Racing Champion-2011
Pro-Solo Prepared National Champ-2004
Pro-Solo Prepared National Champ-2005
2016 Dodge Challenger SRT 6.4L CAM-C