Thoughts on a new car...

Discussion of anything that doesn't fall into the Solo II and RallyX Categories
TennTechMan

Re: Thoughts on a new car...

Post by TennTechMan »

I've driven one of those VW DSG's. I know it's "faster" and it really does work well, but I still prefer to do it myself.
Aaron Carroll

STM 11 - 91 Geo Metro
Lead Engineer of the Knoxvegas Lowballers
TedV

Post by TedV »

VR6 and DSG sound sweeeeet. What about an R32:. Awd goodness?
Ted V.
don't make me list all my VW's
Brian

Post by Brian »

I bought a new GTI about 18 months ago. Probably my favorite car ever as a daily driver. I did not get DSG but my wife's wagon has it. The stick is sweet too.
Brian Hatten
AS 92
'11 CaymanS
dfoulk

Post by dfoulk »

EliseAutoXr wrote:Well, it has to be brand new because of the situation... I do like the Focus ST (especially if I was going to autox it or something), but this will be for just driving to work and when the weather is too bad to reasonably drive the Elise.
If you are not in a big hurry, the Fiesta ST is supposed to be here in August. It is getting good reviews and is a bit cheaper than the Focus ST. Some Focus enthusiasts that have driven both are saying the Fiesta ST is the true spiritual successor to the SVT Focus.

Sent from my GT-P6210 using Tapatalk 2
Dewey Foulk
dfoulk

Post by dfoulk »

More thoughts about the Focus. Ford managed to make the current generation of the Focus bigger on the outside and smaller on the inside. I think this is due to the previous generation having more upright seating. Unless the driver and front passenger are kind of short, passengers in the rear seat better be really supple or chop their feet off. I drive a 2012 Focus these days, am six ft tall, and have the seat all the way back. It is just 6 to 8 inches from the back seat. I have not tried to get in the back seat of a Fiesta but I think it will compare well with the Focus for room.

Dewey Foulk
TedV

Post by TedV »

dfoulk wrote: Ford managed to make the current generation of the Focus bigger on the outside and smaller on the inside.
:shock: :shock: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TARDIS :shock: :shock:
Ted V.
don't make me list all my VW's
dfoulk

Post by dfoulk »

I wish. Small on the outside and big on the inside is harder than big on the outside and small on the inside. In the time honored tradition of thread jacking on this forum, Ted, have you read about research on what has been dubbed time crystals? The theory is for real. http://wired.com/wiredscience/2013/04/time-crystals/ .

Dewey Foulk
EliseAutoXr

Post by EliseAutoXr »

To close this discussion, I decided to go a totally different route (not another fun car, since I already have one of those). I chose a new Ford Escape, it can tow 3,500 lbs so I'm thinking I can use it pull my car to long drive events instead of pulling my trailer behind the Elise.

Thanks to everyone who helped.
Bradley Allen
STM 7
06 Lotus Elise (some stock)
Wheelman_13

Post by Wheelman_13 »

EliseAutoXr wrote:To close this discussion, I decided to go a totally different route (not another fun car, since I already have one of those). I chose a new Ford Escape, it can tow 3,500 lbs so I'm thinking I can use it pull my car to long drive events instead of pulling my trailer behind the Elise.

Just don't leave it unattended near Gary for too long, I hear they had to swap another motor last race, they're probably getting pretty quick at it. :lol:
Richard Graves
1992 Acura NSX
2004 Lamborghini Gallardo
youtube.com/lapoftheworld
GaryM

Post by GaryM »

Wheelman_13 wrote:
EliseAutoXr wrote:To close this discussion, I decided to go a totally different route (not another fun car, since I already have one of those). I chose a new Ford Escape, it can tow 3,500 lbs so I'm thinking I can use it pull my car to long drive events instead of pulling my trailer behind the Elise.

Just don't leave it unattended near Gary for too long, I hear they had to swap another motor last race, they're probably getting pretty quick at it. :lol:
Is that the 3.5? We are actually looking for one of those :eating: 300hp and might not blow up? Yes please.
-Gary Mitchell
Custom Magnet Numbers and Vinyl Graphics! | Unofficial Points Standings
01' Honda S2000 -99 BSR
99' Subaru Impreza 2.5RS
99' F250 Super Duty
91' SVT GEO Metro (24HhoursOfLemons!)
TennTechMan

Post by TennTechMan »

Wrong vehicle, Gary. It's the new Explorer that has the 3.5L that we want.

The new Escape doesn't have a V6 option anymore (what we run in the Geo). I assume Bradley ended up with a 2.0L Ecoboost. We don't want any part of trying to get that running in the Geo. We had enough problems with 15 year old Ford security interlocks. I imagine they're even harder to work around now.
Aaron Carroll

STM 11 - 91 Geo Metro
TennTechMan

Post by TennTechMan »

Good choice on the new Escape. Hailey and I drove one recently. Seems like a pretty solid car. Lots of cool options available.
Aaron Carroll

STM 11 - 91 Geo Metro
EliseAutoXr

Post by EliseAutoXr »

Yep, ordered the turbo 2.0L, all options and gadgets (as I don't have to pay for it). It's based on the Focus platform so it actually drives less SUVish, but enough room to put wheels and tools :).
Bradley Allen
STM 7
06 Lotus Elise (some stock)
dfoulk

Post by dfoulk »

My wife bought an Escape Titanium and we love it. It drives and handles like a car. The electric steering is nowhere near as numb as that in the 2008 Escape she traded in and the power tailgate is really nice too.

Dewey Foulk