Speeding ticket advice

Discussion of anything that doesn't fall into the Solo II and RallyX Categories
steverife

Speeding ticket advice

Post by steverife »

Alright. I got dinged in the city yesterday. 53 in a 40. I was driving the Mazda for the first time in a few weeks and let the speed creep up on me a bit. Cop didn't have much to say. License, registration, insurance, I'll be back.

I've never gotten a ticket locally, just a couple years ago on the interstate. They weren't local, so I mailed a check and slept well. I looked on the website and it is a $111.50 fine and 3 points. I'd love to just mail a check and move on as I'm not terribly concerned with the fine, but it seems like the points should be of concern.

What is the best way for me to deal with this?
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
thrdeye

Re: Speeding ticket advice

Post by thrdeye »

You can go down and plead no contest. I did and got out of a 45 in a 30 out on gleason. I still had to pay court costs and any other fee they could dream up, mind you, but no insurance concerns and no points.

This is the only one of about 4 tickets that I've done this for. I probably wouldn't do it again, because it takes so much time...everyone gets caught in the stupid speeding ticket racket every few years and unless you are entrapped, er I mean, cited frequently, I'd just pay it and move on.

On the other hand, you are already downtown a lot, which is more than half the pain of going to court, so it might be worth it.

edit: I stayed pretty civil in this post, but like pretty much everyone else, getting a speeding ticket pretty much makes me want to burn the city down. Especially something like 45/30 or 55/40. 80 in a 55? Yeah maybe say something to that guy.
Chris Harp
2009 Mazda RX-8 | 2018 Toyota Tundra | 2011 BMW M3
steverife

Post by steverife »

Yeah. Everything I've gotten over the last decade or so is some 10'ish over on an empty road at an off hour. The actual process of receiving a ticket on the side of the road is far more dangerous than me doing 10 over an arbitrary number on an empty road.
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
CABoegemann

Post by CABoegemann »

Do what Chris said, but be ready to take a defensive driving class. I've taken it a "few" times. It sucks and takes a couple hours to complete, but no points or record of speeding.
........ _____
........./____,\__
........(o)_l___(o)

'05 MINI Cooper S
RxCritical

Post by RxCritical »

If you go to court, as long as the interaction was civil, try to talk the officer beforehand and see if he would be willing to reduce the amount you were speeding.
Talk about your good driving history. Some officers MAY be agreeable to that as long as he doesn't remember you as a wiener head. :)
If not, what Chris said.
Good Luck! :pirate:
Paul M.
C8 #34 SS
Team Canopy
steverife

Post by steverife »

Why would reducing it matter? Looks like a theoretical 1 over is still 3 points and the same fine.
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
keith

Post by keith »

I once hired a local traffic attorney to represent me in court for a speeding ticket. I was going to ask for traffic school, but got called for jury duty so couldn't make the court date. The attorney went to court for me and got it completely dismissed...like it never even happened. Cost $350, but was worth it.
Keith Davenport
BS 94 '02 Silver S2000
sentrase

Post by sentrase »

Does Knoxville even report these tickets? Over the past 12 years I got a ticket in Gatlinburg by their local PD, on Chapman Highway by THP, on the "Spur" between Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg by a Park Ranger and Oliver Springs by their local PD.

I always just paid the fine and the only one to show up on the record was the Park Ranger one. I thought that the locals don't even bother reporting it.
Kristo K.
'13 Scion FR-S
STX 53
jdpeterson21

Post by jdpeterson21 »

My experience is the same as Kristo's. I've always just plead guilty, paid the court costs, and everything has been dismissed. Haven't even had to do traffic school for whatever reason.
Jed Peterson
MikeKelly

Post by MikeKelly »

Points go away 1 year after the date of the infraction. 3 points, no worries.

It's on your record for insurance purposes for about 3 years.

If you don't make any changes to your insurance (cars/drivers) they *probably* won't notice it.

If the insurance company notices it you'll probably lose any "good driver" discount until it falls off your record.

If you want to take a job driving in the next three years it could be an issue if you don't get out of it.

You may not be able to get out of it - good luck,

Mike
Mike Kelly
"Still got the shovel..."
--Mr. Rate
RxCritical

Post by RxCritical »

steverife wrote:Why would reducing it matter? Looks like a theoretical 1 over is still 3 points and the same fine.
Maybe Knoxville is different. But usually 5 over is in a different point/cost class than 13. YMMV.
Paul M.
C8 #34 SS
Team Canopy
steverife

Post by steverife »

I imagine I wouldn't be given the opportunity present video in court. I imagine that if I were given that opportunity, presenting video of how dangerous it is to actually drive the speed limit would be a bad idea.
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
CABoegemann

Post by CABoegemann »

You're going to jail...
........ _____
........./____,\__
........(o)_l___(o)

'05 MINI Cooper S
MARKP

Post by MARKP »

CABoegemann wrote:You're going to jail...
:lol2:

Sent from the Galaxy
Mark Pilson
03 Z06 - Sword
09 Mustang - Club
01 Excursion - The safe you dropped from the 10th story
whenry

Post by whenry »

Get me a copy of the ticket. Unless the officer made special notes on the ticket, I believe that I can get the ticket adjusted.
Wayne Henry
East Tenn Region, SCCA
2006 MX-5 Limited
the rest of the garage:
1984 Mazda RX-7 GSL-SE
1996 Toyota 4runner