Solo(and other) Books are here!

Discussion of anything that doesn't fall into the Solo II and RallyX Categories
MARKP

Post by MARKP »

MichaelH wrote:I am pretty sure that I am going to participate this season, is this something that I need? I have not done it before. TIA
If you plan on making modifications to your car for autocross then it would be in your best interest to buy a rulebook. That way you don't end up doing something that would put you in a class you don't want to be in.

BTW, great question. This is probably something that a lot of other competitors should consider.
Mark Pilson
03 Z06 - Sword
09 Mustang - Club
01 Excursion - The safe you dropped from the 10th story
DickCDawg

ETR vs. SCCA stickers

Post by DickCDawg »

Wayne has a new supply of SCCA stickers. When we clean out the trailer this weekend we'll confirm how many ETR stickers we have in stock, and order more if needed. Cliff Gibbs will be our Registration Chairman for 2004, so if you need ETR stickers before the first event please contact him after this Saturday. BTW, neither of the stickers come with magnetic backing; you'll have to get that put on.

Dick Hancock
tscott

Post by tscott »

Thanks for bringing the books out tonight Wayne!
Tyler Scott
whenry

Post by whenry »

13 books were picked up and I have another 3 requests for mailing. Thanks for the cooperation. It worked well. And the company and food was good too.
Wayne Henry
East Tenn Region, SCCA
2006 MX-5 Limited
the rest of the garage:
1984 Mazda RX-7 GSL-SE
1996 Toyota 4runner
MichaelH

Post by MichaelH »

Thanks for the info, I have a silver STi. Myself and a friend with an e46 M3 are planning on participating this season. I am looking forward to it. Just out of curiosity, what class would my STi be in? I have a downpipe, but the rest is stock.
Mike Hagood
Leadfoot

Post by Leadfoot »

MichaelH wrote:Thanks for the info, I have a silver STi. Myself and a friend with an e46 M3 are planning on participating this season. I am looking forward to it. Just out of curiosity, what class would my STi be in? I have a downpipe, but the rest is stock.
Downpipe puts you out of stock (A Stock) and into street prepared, I think, which is ESP at this point. Since AS has a higher PAX than ESP, you're actually a little better off in ESP.
thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

I think it is gonna be SM. After consulting my handy rulebook (Thanks Wayne!) WRX STi is not listed in ESP, just WRX. It does qualify for SM though.

I don't think anyone in our region runs ESP so it prob don't matter anyway. A downpipe alone won't help that much on the auto x course.
Chris Harp
2009 Mazda RX-8 | 2018 Toyota Tundra | 2011 BMW M3
Leadfoot

Post by Leadfoot »

thrdeye wrote:I think it is gonna be SM. After consulting my handy rulebook (Thanks Wayne!) WRX STi is not listed in ESP, just WRX. It does qualify for SM though.
Not that it matters in this case, but Doug Gill said that the STi could go in ESP since the WRX is listed in ESP and the STi is a WRX. That's assuming the new rules don't specifically place the STi in another class.
thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

hmm, maybe....but doesn't make sense to me since WRX is D stock and STi is A stock.
Chris Harp
MARKP

Post by MARKP »

thrdeye wrote:hmm, maybe....but doesn't make sense to me since WRX is D stock and STi is A stock.
Uh... much better performance, maybe? Would you want to run a stock WRX against a stock STi?

BTW, Leadfoot is right on the ESP classing. I thought STX might be a better fit but the STi is specifically excluded from STX. IMHO, it's best to figure out what class you want to run in and build your car from there (at least for autocross). It's a lot cheaper to build a fast SP car than a fast SM car. Stock is even cheaper than both, though. :)
Mark Pilson
03 Z06 - Sword
09 Mustang - Club
thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

Mark, what I meant was.....

How can a WRX and an STi be in the same Street Prep class, when they are so far apart on the stock class?

Anything that would make a WRX have near STi performance (i.e. boost control, re mapped fuel+timing, and new gearbox w/ front lsd) would put the WRX in SM.
Chris Harp
MARKP

Post by MARKP »

thrdeye wrote:Mark, what I meant was.....

How can a WRX and an STi be in the same Street Prep class, when they are so far apart on the stock class?

Anything that would make a WRX have near STi performance (i.e. boost control, re mapped fuel+timing, and new gearbox w/ front lsd) would put the WRX in SM.
Update/backdate rule in SP. You can probably update a regular WRX with Stock STi pieces. The only way you can't do that is if in ESP they have the WRX listed on one line and the WRS STi specifically listed on another line. This is how I can use an '84 engine and transmission in my '79 Scirocco. 8)
Mark Pilson
03 Z06 - Sword
09 Mustang - Club
thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

I see what you mean, I guess.

You can run a WRX in ESP, but to be competitive, it will cost a lot of $$$.
Chris Harp
MARKP

Post by MARKP »

thrdeye wrote:I see what you mean, I guess.

You can run a WRX in ESP, but to be competitive, it will cost a lot of $$$.
Unfortunately, you just described a lot of classes. At least, when you are talking about the size of my bank account. Funny how FSP ends up being one of the cheapest classes I can run in since I'm not going to go out and buy a new car to autocross every few years.
Mark Pilson
03 Z06 - Sword
09 Mustang - Club
OneFastZx2

Post by OneFastZx2 »

:D Hey there, i was wondering if i could meet you somewhere or come to your office to get a book, i will be participating in the VIR race feb 14th and im trying to get stuff prep'd. I live downtown knoxville so im kinda in the middle of everything. let me know when is the best time to meet you and where and i bring you some money! thanks, Brett
98 Ford Excort Zx2
STS Auto-X leader........ hahahaha, maybe one day i'll be good enough to beat someone.... anyone!?!?!