From SCCA National - No Drones

Discussion of anything that doesn't fall into the Solo II and RallyX Categories
MARKP

Re: From SCCA National - No Drones

Post by MARKP »

It's legal to discharge a firearm in the county, right? LOL.

Sent from the Galaxy
Last edited by MARKP on Tue May 27, 2014 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mark Pilson
03 Z06 - Sword
09 Mustang - Club
01 Excursion - The safe you dropped from the 10th story
CABoegemann

Post by CABoegemann »

Can you remove the plug during Drone season? Red or white wine?
........ _____
........./____,\__
........(o)_l___(o)

'05 MINI Cooper S
flier129

Post by flier129 »

I saw one of those damn things at the Atl match tour. I had 100% certainty big brother was watching us conduct our event. When it left, the rain came...... so I blame that damn drone. DOWN WITH THE DRONE!!!
Marcus Luttrell - 99' Miata - GLTC/Max3/ST5 #92
Nine Lives Racing - Sales/spell-checker/IT
TennTechMan

Post by TennTechMan »

So, can I fly my RC-controlled multi-rotor copter at an event as long as I stay off of the course? I had fully intended to do some aerial video at an event sometime. Sounds like that might be out of the question now.

In general, I don't think we have much to worry about. It's by far the exception that someone be able to fly a "drone" at one of our events without us knowing who/where the operator is. Flight time is pretty limited and they are relatively slow. In an area that open, we could basically just follow it to where it lands. If you see one on course, we can red-flag the course if there is a perceived danger to a vehicle. I'm still pretty new to RC flying in general. So far, there are two concerns that I have.

1. Spinning rotors are really dangerous, and will cut you pretty badly. There are some graphic videos on YouTube to support this.
2. "Drones" falling out of the sky could dent the crap out of your car. That's just simple physics.

Aerial videography/photography (not for hire) is the main reason I decided to build mine. That and the fun of designing/building it myself.
Aaron Carroll

STM 11 - 91 Geo Metro
Lead Engineer of the Knoxvegas Lowballers
integra55

Post by integra55 »

I'm not sure how WE would have the "right" to stop someone from flying a drone or RC-controled copter at one of our events, especially at PSCC ….

especially if they had permission from the college to be there and to be flying … the fact that they over-flew our event doesn't seem to me to be something we could control … if we could find them, we could, maybe, ask them nicely to cease … but if they didn't, I'm not sure how calling the Police would fix anything (remember the caveat that they had permission from the college)

just because we're the SCCA wouldn't supersede they're "right" to do what the college gave them permission to do … SCCA ins. requirements not withstanding … it's not our property, and we haven't rented the entire college, plus I doubt that our rental agreement includes the air space above our parking lot

disclaimer: I'm not a lawyer, haven't played one on TV, nor have I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express …. just trying to think this through logically
“The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.”

walter jones
'91 civic CRX, Ford F150, '14 Chevy Sonic

828-686-3245
steverife

Post by steverife »

They can't legally record us without our permission.
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
GaryM

Post by GaryM »

steverife wrote:They can't legally record us without our permission.
In a public setting, such as an open to the public autocross event, they are absolutely allowed to record. Pretty much the only time you are legally protected from photo/video recording is when you have a reasonable expectation of privacy such as your home, bathroom, confessional booth, etc.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk
-Gary Mitchell
Custom Magnet Numbers and Vinyl Graphics! | Unofficial Points Standings
01' Honda S2000 -99 BSR
99' Subaru Impreza 2.5RS
99' F250 Super Duty
91' SVT GEO Metro (24HhoursOfLemons!)
integra55

Post by integra55 »

steverife wrote:They can't legally record us without our permission.
of course they can …. what could stop them … we're in a public place … you, me, anyone can take pics of anything in a public setting … and a video is just a pic with movement ...LOL
“The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.”

walter jones
'91 civic CRX, Ford F150, '14 Chevy Sonic

828-686-3245
John Brown

Post by John Brown »

integra55 wrote:I'm not sure how WE would have the "right" to stop someone from flying a drone or RC-controled copter at one of our events, especially at PSCC ….

especially if they had permission from the college to be there and to be flying … the fact that they over-flew our event doesn't seem to me to be something we could control … if we could find them, we could, maybe, ask them nicely to cease … but if they didn't, I'm not sure how calling the Police would fix anything (remember the caveat that they had permission from the college)

just because we're the SCCA wouldn't supersede they're "right" to do what the college gave them permission to do … SCCA ins. requirements not withstanding … it's not our property, and we haven't rented the entire college, plus I doubt that our rental agreement includes the air space above our parking lot

disclaimer: I'm not a lawyer, haven't played one on TV, nor have I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express …. just trying to think this through logically

ahhhh.. I think Iv found the problem...
ETR Pro Class Champion-2002-03-10-11-12-13-14-15
BMW/CCA D-Mod National Road Racing Champion-2011
Pro-Solo Prepared National Champ-2004
Pro-Solo Prepared National Champ-2005
2016 Dodge Challenger SRT 6.4L CAM-C
thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

I guess I would say that course, grid, and paddock are our domain, because we already require you to sign a wavier to access them, and as such it's our responsibility to follow the safety rules laid out for us in those areas. Since there is no allowance for drones, only photographers with a spotter, drones could be disallowed on that basis.

Recording isn't the issue. Who cares. I think it would be awesome to have some aerial coverage.

The issue is that these things are untrusted with regard to their air-worthiness. If one came down onto a car or someone, it would be an issue - a serious issue. If it landed on course, it would be a problem - could cause someone to take an evasive manuver to avoid it and cause someone to hit something else or someone. I totally understand why it's not a great idea to allow them over the course and other areas.

As ryan said, I can see how this is a huge greay area, because even if the drone is flown reasonably away from course, it could still be taken by wind, or otherwise malfunction and put it into our areas.
Chris Harp
2009 Mazda RX-8 | 2018 Toyota Tundra | 2011 BMW M3
thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

Chris Harp
thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

SoloMatters
You know that we hate being a "buzzkill," but this recently came down from the insurance folks regarding drones... and yes, if it flies an no one is in it, it's a drone. (ruling on home built manned aircraft, forthcoming):

Discussions with our Broker (Willis) and K&K have yielded the following position on the use of drones at SCCA events.

The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) and the US Justice Department are still working on regulations to govern the commercial and private use of unmanned aircraft systems (drones).

Consequently, our insurance carrier states we have no liability coverage under our existing general liability policy for the operation of any owned aircraft / drone – this applies even if SCCA purchases a drone.

Commercial UAS owners – must have proof of FAA certification and liability insurance naming SCCA and our normal list of additional insured. Since the standard commercial general liability policy excludes the operation of aircraft, the policy must specifically state it includes the use of UASs. The policy needs to have $10M of primary coverage.

Recreational UAS – Should be prohibited. The SCCA should not allow anyone (spectator, participant, official) to use a drone at an event unless they have provided us a copy of the FAA certification and proof of insurance (COI), with the coverage described above, and have a valid reason to be using the UAS.
Chris Harp
01badz28

Post by 01badz28 »

Tennessee law does not prevent you from taking video or photos of folks in public, period. Our events, while open to the public, are subject to our rules and regulations. Just like we can kick someone out from an event for not following our rules (example: a photographer that was constantly getting on course); I don't think we have any problems asking folks to shut down drones that are operating over our course, paddock, and grid areas. The problem is identifying the folks flying them, if that can even be ascertained.

On the other hand, if someone is operating a drone off the event site (ex. the duck pond at PSTCC) I don't think we have any authority to do anything unless they encroach on our use of the site.
Ryan E. Jarrard
2001 Camaro Z28, SM #24
2011 BMW M3 Coupe
1989 BMW M3
TedV

Post by TedV »

Just SCCA insurance covering their rear end. Like needing a spotter for a photographer. I would guess the hot air balloonists that crash landed (every landing is a crash) into our event should have had their own insurance??

What if someone puts a go pro under a heavy lift kite and flys from the duck pond field? That fits the rules.
Ted V.
don't make me list all my VW's
MikeKelly

Post by MikeKelly »

That's the coolest autocross video I've ever seen.
Mike Kelly
"Still got the shovel..."
--Mr. Rate