From SCCA National - No Drones

Discussion of anything that doesn't fall into the Solo II and RallyX Categories
integra55

Re: From SCCA National - No Drones

Post by integra55 »

John Brown wrote:
integra55 wrote:I'm not sure how WE would have the "right" to stop someone from flying a drone or RC-controled copter at one of our events, especially at PSCC ….

especially if they had permission from the college to be there and to be flying … the fact that they over-flew our event doesn't seem to me to be something we could control … if we could find them, we could, maybe, ask them nicely to cease … but if they didn't, I'm not sure how calling the Police would fix anything (remember the caveat that they had permission from the college)

just because we're the SCCA wouldn't supersede they're "right" to do what the college gave them permission to do … SCCA ins. requirements not withstanding … it's not our property, and we haven't rented the entire college, plus I doubt that our rental agreement includes the air space above our parking lot

disclaimer: I'm not a lawyer, haven't played one on TV, nor have I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express …. just trying to think this through logically

ahhhh.. I think Iv found the problem...

:lol2: :lol2:
“The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.”

walter jones
'91 civic CRX, Ford F150, '14 Chevy Sonic

828-686-3245
integra55

Post by integra55 »

01badz28 wrote:Tennessee law does not prevent you from taking video or photos of folks in public, period. Our events, while open to the public, are subject to our rules and regulations. Just like we can kick someone out from an event for not following our rules (example: a photographer that was constantly getting on course); I don't think we have any problems asking folks to shut down drones that are operating over our course, paddock, and grid areas. The problem is identifying the folks flying them, if that can even be ascertained.

On the other hand, if someone is operating a drone off the event site (ex. the duck pond at PSTCC) I don't think we have any authority to do anything unless they encroach on our use of the site.
that's what I was getting at … sure if the drone is being flown by someone in the paddock or grid …. but if they are somewhere else on campus ? and ESPECIALLY if they have permission from the college to be there flying, I don't see how we'd have any say about what they were doing … we could ask, because of the potential danger to the cars or workers, but to DEMAND that they cease … bet that wouldn't go over well
“The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.”

walter jones

828-686-3245
steverife

Post by steverife »

I misunderstood something I had heard on television. Opinion was portrayed as law.

Anyway, I can't imagine any mystery belligerent drone operators making a scene at our events.

I think the rule makes sense. From watching footage of these things cut up fans at sporting events, I can do without drones flying over me. :)
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
jcox07

Post by jcox07 »

I read on the interweb that if you were a French model you could fly drones and take pictures of naked women!!!
JY ( Jeff ) Cox
ETR R.E
2018-2021, 2022, 2023 Solo Nationals Co Chairman
2010 GT500
RxCritical

Post by RxCritical »

MikeKelly wrote:
That's the coolest autocross video I've ever seen.
I agree, and a very nice looking lot!
Paul M.
C8 #34 SS
Team Canopy
rocket71

Post by rocket71 »

MikeKelly wrote:
That's the coolest autocross video I've ever seen.
I agree.

Sent from my LG-V510 using Tapatalk
GT350
Pewter Sonoma

Post by Pewter Sonoma »

I guess I'm not coming to an event this year now. :)
2011 ETR SCCA never made it to an event Champion
2001 Camaro SS Convertible - LS1, 6-speed, GMPP HotCam, Full Exhaust, Konis, Springs, Sways, Roll Cage, Wilwood Brakes.
01badz28

Post by 01badz28 »

Pewter Sonoma wrote:I guess I'm not coming to an event this year now. :)
Drone steal your alarm clock? :mrgreen:
Ryan E. Jarrard
2001 Camaro Z28, SM #24
2011 BMW M3 Coupe
1989 BMW M3
MARKP

Post by MARKP »

01badz28 wrote:
Pewter Sonoma wrote:I guess I'm not coming to an event this year now. :)
Drone steal your alarm clock? :mrgreen:
:lol2:
Mark Pilson
03 Z06 - Sword
09 Mustang - Club
01 Excursion - The safe you dropped from the 10th story
eunos735

Post by eunos735 »

As long as the "Model Aircraft" is flown below 400 ft AGL, is a "reasonable" distance from full sized aircraft, is flown within the operators line of sight AND is not used for commercial use there is no FAA permission needed to operate the model aircraft. The SCCA nor Pellissippi State control the airspace above them. So as long as the person flying the drone isn't "on site" I see no way the SCCA can enforce this "ban." Really the only people I see this preventing from flying over a SCCA event are SCCA competitors scared of getting "kicked out," and those interested in making a video for sale.

I.E. 4 rotor copter shows up over our event, we find the person flying the aircraft off site and ask them to stop, they say they are within their rights to do so and politely decline to leave.....conversation over.
SSM 96/196
TennTechMan

Post by TennTechMan »

Property owners own the first 450 ft of airspace above their property, so someone could claim trespassing. Now, if they're over 450ft, it's up to the FAA to enforce it. That is highly unlikely to happen. How could we even determine elevation of an aircraft? There are so many problems with enforcing any regulations related to hobbyist operated aircraft. I'm really curious to see what happens over the next few years. "Drones" seem to be gaining popularity at a really high rate.
Aaron Carroll

STM 11 - 91 Geo Metro
Lead Engineer of the Knoxvegas Lowballers
steverife

Post by steverife »

I still have trouble seeing the likelihood of someone we don't know flying a drone over our event, us approaching them and saying, "We appreciate your interest in our event, but your drone poses safety concerns to our drivers and workers, please stop", and them replying "MAH RAGHTS!!!!" and continuing to fly...
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
eunos735

Post by eunos735 »

TennTechMan wrote:Property owners own the first 450 ft of airspace above their property, so someone could claim trespassing. Now, if they're over 450ft, it's up to the FAA to enforce it. That is highly unlikely to happen. How could we even determine elevation of an aircraft? There are so many problems with enforcing any regulations related to hobbyist operated aircraft. I'm really curious to see what happens over the next few years. "Drones" seem to be gaining popularity at a really high rate.
It's my understanding that a property owner only "owns" as much air above their property as they can "reasonably occupy" and that has never been clearly defined by the FAA nor a court of law.
SSM 96/196
thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

steverife wrote:I still have trouble seeing the likelihood of someone we don't know flying a drone over our event, us approaching them and saying, "We appreciate your interest in our event, but your drone poses safety concerns to our drivers and workers, please stop", and them replying "MAH RAGHTS!!!!" and continuing to fly...
Yeah, pretty much.

sent from typotalk
Chris Harp
2009 Mazda RX-8 | 2018 Toyota Tundra | 2011 BMW M3
integra55

Post by integra55 »

TennTechMan wrote:Property owners own the first 450 ft of airspace above their property, so someone could claim trespassing. Now, if they're over 450ft, it's up to the FAA to enforce it. That is highly unlikely to happen. How could we even determine elevation of an aircraft? There are so many problems with enforcing any regulations related to hobbyist operated aircraft. I'm really curious to see what happens over the next few years. "Drones" seem to be gaining popularity at a really high rate.
or as I pointed out earlier … if the fliers have permission (in our case, from the college to be on property and flying their airplane) then no trespassing …

I'd say if this is a big concern, we need to address it with the college and have something in the contract

walter jones

828-686-3245