Help, NB Miata Curbed Pretty Bad

Discussion of anything that doesn't fall into the Solo II and RallyX Categories
Fuelrush

Help, NB Miata Curbed Pretty Bad

Post by Fuelrush »

A family member hit a curb pretty good in their NB. I was hoping you guys can give me an idea of what to look for. The front right wheel is toed out bad with steering straight, I could see the sway bar link was disconnected. Also the wheel was set back in the wheel well and had slightly less gap vertically in the wheel well. I expect it's going to be pretty messy. I only got to see it in the dark, couldn't tell much more without taking the wheel off. Anyone know what to expect? I'm taking the wheel off tomorrow. I hope I can see what all is damaged. Thanks for the help.
Justin Dougherty
2006 Lotus Exige
2002 Honda S2000 #15 STR (Sold but not forgotten)
thrdeye

Re: Help, NB Miata Curbed Pretty Bad

Post by thrdeye »

Probably start by replacing control arms, tie rod, and i'd probably do a hub as well.

Then you need to look at bent pickup points and bent shock.
Chris Harp
2009 Mazda RX-8 | 2018 Toyota Tundra | 2011 BMW M3
steverife

Post by steverife »

Generically speaking, I'd look at the subframe and steering rack.
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
Fuelrush

Post by Fuelrush »

Looking today the lower control arm is bent, the shock is off center with it. So I think it's joint is probably bent with it. End link was broke. I can't tell about tie rod, nothing obvious about it.
Justin Dougherty
2006 Lotus Exige
2002 Honda S2000 #15 STR (Sold but not forgotten)
MARKP

Post by MARKP »

Replace all the obviously bent stuff and the wheel bearing. If the wheel bearing isn't making noise yet, it will.

Depending on how bad the hit is, it can bend all kinds of stuff. Subframe, etc. Hopefully it isn't hit that bad. Get them out to an autocross once it's all fixed. Enhanced skills might help avoid an issue like that in the future.
Mark Pilson
03 Z06 - Sword
09 Mustang - Club
01 Excursion - The safe you dropped from the 10th story
90civichb

Post by 90civichb »

I went though something similar when my wife hit a curb in her NA. I thought I had it fixed multiple times, until we went for an alignment and they couldn't get it right. We ended up replacing the lower control arm and all the hardware, rim/tire, and then hub. We got everything fairly cheap on ebay, but the time it took was a killer.
Check out some of the build.
https://www.youtube.com/user/90civichb
Cody Yankey