is Tire Rack heat cycling worth it?

Discussion of anything that doesn't fall into the Solo II and RallyX Categories
mrsoul55

is Tire Rack heat cycling worth it?

Post by mrsoul55 »

Is it better to have Tire Rack heat cycle R compounds or just do it myself? I'm not concerned with the price TR charges so much as if it will be done correctly. I've read many opinions on this but thought I'd ask everyone here. What's the best way to do it myself? Should I bag them immediately after heat cycling? Any opinions for someone who doesn't have much of a clue? This is my first set and I don't want to screw them up. Thanks guys.
'02 Civic Si
HS #96
MARKP

Post by MARKP »

In my opinion, I think the heat cycle put on by driving them is better than the Tire Rack deal. Just put them on the car, go find an empty parking lot, and do figure 8's. Just do enough to get some heat in them (warm to the touch). Take them off the car and bag them.

Other recipies may vary.
Mark Pilson
03 Z06 - Sword
09 Mustang - Club
01 Excursion - The safe you dropped from the 10th story
Mark McCrary

Post by Mark McCrary »

Hey, I got some that are already heat cycled for you. :lol: On a serious note as soon as R-compounds touch the road the age process begins. I would just scuff them up real good and get them to temp and take them off ASAP after the car stops and them bag them and do not used them for at least 24 hrs. I would wait a good 48 hrs. Hopefully the tire care god Robert will reply. I know he is religious about tire care. Its a good thing.
Mark McCrary
2004 Mazda RX-8 C-Street
mrsoul55

Post by mrsoul55 »

MARKP wrote:In my opinion, I think the heat cycle put on by driving them is better than the Tire Rack deal. Just put them on the car, go find an empty parking lot, and do figure 8's. Just do enough to get some heat in them (warm to the touch). Take them off the car and bag them.

Other recipies may vary.
Cool. Thanks, Mark. I'll just do that then instead of paying for it.
'02 Civic Si
HS #96
firingonfour

Post by firingonfour »

I think you should just keep driving those falkens. R-compounds are a waste of money. Seriously, Robert would tell you the same thing the Marks just said. You aren't ordering them this early, though, are you?
mrsoul55

Post by mrsoul55 »

firingonfour wrote:I think you should just keep driving those falkens. R-compounds are a waste of money. Seriously, Robert would tell you the same thing the Marks just said. You aren't ordering them this early, though, are you?
I already sold the Azenis so I'm going to have to get some kind of new tire. I wasn't going to order them for a while.
'02 Civic Si
HS #96
Dentspeed

Post by Dentspeed »

What is the bagging for? To prevent oxidation? What is the best temperature to store them?
2010 MINI Cooper S, DS
Trey
Mark McCrary

Post by Mark McCrary »

Bagging them keeps light out and helps prevent them from getting air. I just put them in the house not near any major electronics and anything that creates ozone. That is what makes them hard. Try to keep away from direct sunlight.
Mark McCrary
2004 Mazda RX-8 C-Street
Leadfoot

Post by Leadfoot »

I bought my Avons heat cycled because I didn't want to have to fool with it myself: mounting 'em, heating 'em up, taking 'em off... I'm sure you can do as good a job yourself, but I trust the Tire Rack to do it right--and they've got a machine that does it.

Bagging is supposed to help stop the evaporation of the juices that keep them gummy soft. Most of what I've read says to store them at room temperature away from any sources of ozone. Supposedly avoiding temperature swings is a good thing. Personally, I think it'd be better to keep them cold--think of them as perishable. Vapor pressure of the goo juices will be lower at lower temperatures.
Mark McCrary

Post by Mark McCrary »

I forgot about what Pilson said a while back until this topic came back up again. He said that you need to talk to them at least 15 min. a day to keep them happy tires. :lol:
Mark McCrary
2004 Mazda RX-8 C-Street
MARKP

Post by MARKP »

Mark McCrary wrote:He said that you need to talk to them at least 15 min. a day to keep them happy tires. :lol:
No, that's your car. The tires are supposed to be kept in the freezer so they don't "spoil". :P
Mark Pilson
03 Z06 - Sword
09 Mustang - Club
01 Excursion - The safe you dropped from the 10th story
Mark McCrary

Post by Mark McCrary »

I thought you were suposed to take them out once a month so they won't freezer burn. :shock:
Mark McCrary
2004 Mazda RX-8 C-Street
TedV

Post by TedV »

just saw this one...
feedback from racers, the mechanical heat cycle from TR is not as effective as doing a proper heat cycle on the car. More important for autoX is to scrub the mold release off a new tire. Tire not shiney=no more mold release. Tire needs to get to operating temp, over 140 deg F. the tire needs to sit a minimum of 24 hrs for the rubber to relink into longer chains. Not much more benifit beyond 2 weeks. Ozone, ultraviolet light, and extremes of temp will deteriorate a tire. So keep em away from electrical equipment (produce ozone), out of sunlight and the sun tan booth (UV rays) and also the reason for black plastic bags (also keeps you interior clean in transit). A 60-70 deg basement in the off season is great. Have actually seen some super soft tire compounds shatter in freezing temps (ok sub 0)

a note on taking tire temps, only acurate way is with a needle probe. A tire sheds heat too quick for the IR surface temp kind

oh, and when competitors see you talking to your tires and car.......
they have a tendency to stay FAR far away :lol:
Ted V.
don't make me list all my VW's
mrsoul55

Post by mrsoul55 »

MARKP wrote:In my opinion, I think the heat cycle put on by driving them is better than the Tire Rack deal. Just put them on the car, go find an empty parking lot, and do figure 8's. Just do enough to get some heat in them (warm to the touch). Take them off the car and bag them.

Other recipies may vary.
Ok. So where are some good parking lots to do this? I mentioned Pellissippi to my wife and she reminded me they have night classes. I don't want to draw any unwanted attention while I heat cycle them and can't think of any decent place to do it. Suggestions?
'02 Civic Si
HS #96
thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

Well, I would wait for a warm day first of all.
Chris Harp
2009 Mazda RX-8 | 2018 Toyota Tundra | 2011 BMW M3