Lets talk racing seats

Discussion of anything that doesn't fall into the Solo II and RallyX Categories
lcoleman

Re: Lets talk racing seats

Post by lcoleman »

17" is gonna be for passengers. #fatchicksallowed, hehehe. Just let me know when you want to try them!
Lucas Coleman STM #72
MikeKelly

Post by MikeKelly »

90civichb wrote:From what I read about a back brace is that they are usually more dangerous than a safety feature.
You're reading in the wrong places, or about poorly designed back braces, or about a different seat design.

Try here: https://www.kirkeyracing.com/page/installation

P.S. I've got a retired aluminum roundy round seat you can look at / borrow / buy cheap...

Let me know if I should bring it to the board meeting.
Mike Kelly
"Still got the shovel..."
--Mr. Rate
integra55

Post by integra55 »

mainly the complaints come from folk that have been required to use a back brace on seats that aren't meant to have them … the aluminum Kirkeys tend to be ok with the back brace … just didn't have room to put mine on after I moved the seat all the way back
“The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.”

walter jones
'91 civic CRX, Ford F150, '14 Chevy Sonic

828-686-3245
thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

Only thing I'll add is to make sure you sit in whatever you're gonna buy. I have a 36 in waist but there's no way a seat that will fit most other 36 waists fits me.

I have pretty big hips and ass from hockey and other things.
Chris Harp
2009 Mazda RX-8 | 2018 Toyota Tundra | 2011 BMW M3
integra55

Post by integra55 »

yeah … what Chris said … I've got a 40" waist … and the Kirkey that I had and fit fine in, didn't fit Chris well enough for him to co-drive my car
“The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.”

walter jones
'91 civic CRX, Ford F150, '14 Chevy Sonic

828-686-3245
steverife

Post by steverife »

Another, perhaps better, option is to buy whatever seat you can get for a good deal and us this...

https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/produ ... RecID=1038

I co-drove with someone that had a couple hundred lbs on their previous co-driver. I borrowed the co-driver's seat insert and it was amazing.
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
90civichb

Post by 90civichb »

steverife wrote:Another, perhaps better, option is to buy whatever seat you can get for a good deal and us this...

https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/produ ... RecID=1038

I co-drove with someone that had a couple hundred lbs on their previous co-driver. I borrowed the co-driver's seat insert and it was amazing.

Whoa, that is super cool. If I can get a seat cheap enough then I will do this for sure. What a cool thing to try.
Check out some of the build.
https://www.youtube.com/user/90civichb
Cody Yankey
lcoleman

Post by lcoleman »

Oooh, that stuff is cool. I may end up using that too, my rib-breakers are a little wide even on the 14" seat. I used some similar foam at a previous job, it is quite nasty stuff. Definitely use a thick, heavy-duty bag to form it in if going that route and don't put ANYTHING near it that you aren't willing to throw away afterwards.
Lucas Coleman STM #72
Buck05Sti

Post by Buck05Sti »

thrdeye wrote:Only thing I'll add is to make sure you sit in whatever you're gonna buy. I have a 36 in waist but there's no way a seat that will fit most other 36 waists fits me.

I have pretty big hips and ass from hockey and other things.
:lol2: Junk in da trunk?
Ryan Buckingham

2005 STi- STU #20

2004 Z06 Commemorative Edition (gold chain not included)
Apexemall

Post by Apexemall »

I've got Sparco Evo III's in my 04 WRX. They are very comfortable for a long trip and weigh right at the 25 lb min for STX. They come in 4 widths for my big size butt. The EVO III is the widest. It fits only in front of the B pillar due to the shoulder "wings". I had a trim shop cut the drivers "wing" off to allow the slider to work for long trips. Biggest drawback is $$$$$. You definitely need to sit in one before you buy because the actual width is not well predicted by the specs. Anyone interested is welcome to try them out when I am over there.
One other thing to keep in mind is not to use a harness that holds you upright in the seat until you get a roll bar.

Clyde Stahl
Clyde Stahl
54 C1
69 C10
11 C6
04 WRX
Chuck629

Post by Chuck629 »

I fit pretty well in Lucas' 17" if that gives you any idea how big it is (40-42" waist). A 15 would probably be the one to have for you, Cody.

I think the Kirkey 41 Pro Drags will be what we will use in the Miata. Seeing as how I have 140 lbs and half a foot on my Co-driver, I'm really interested in some kind of removable padding (that would velcro to the seat cover) to make it snug for him. What's out there that fits the bill?
Charlie Sykes STM #55

1991 Honda CRX SI
1990 Mazda Miata
jspadaro

Post by jspadaro »

I got a pair of sparco sprint 2014's (they changed the name of the V's) for $345 apiece new. They fit in the miata, and I like them. You're welcome to check them out sometime if you want.

I really didn't want to deal with a back brace, and by the time I bought a kirkey + an SCCA-approved back brace + any sort of padding, the price difference was a lot less than I thought it would be.

It's a small seat though, I have a 32" waist and it's definitely nice and snug.
- James Spadaro
Chuck629

Post by Chuck629 »

jspadaro wrote:I got a pair of sparco sprint 2014's (they changed the name of the V's) for $345 apiece new. They fit in the miata, and I like them.

It's a small seat though, I have a 32" waist and it's definitely nice and snug.

Are there any traditional race seats that fit in a Miata if you happen to be bigger than a bean pole? And that don't cost an arm and a leg? So far, Kirkeys seem to be about he best thing I've found that fits the bill. Looking at $270 a piece with covers shipped from Summit. If you skip the back brace (I'll have to as the seats will have to be on sliders to accommodate co-driving), being $75 a piece cheaper is nice.
Charlie Sykes STM #55

1991 Honda CRX SI
1990 Mazda Miata
jspadaro

Post by jspadaro »

The miata is a small car. A buddy of mine used to track his miata before he bought an Ariel Atom. He's about 6'2 250 or so, and he did fine with an aluminum seat like a kirkey or something mounted to the floor. The bigger issue for him wasn't seat width, it was actually head clearance under a rollbar, but again, he was doing track days.

I guess skipping the backbrace is allowed for autocross? I do mostly HPDEs, and a backbrace is a must. The kirkey seats will apparently fold like a wet noodle without one, I'd try to find a way to mount one personally... That's one reason I went with the sparcos.

It also depends if you're comfortable taking a BFH to the trans tunnel, you can fit a wider seat that way.
- James Spadaro
90civichb

Post by 90civichb »

Someone on here found my WTB ad and I got this seat from him yesterday. It's a 15 1/2, which is pretty snug, but the lean is great and the weight saved will be great. I can't wait to mount everything up.

Check out some of the build.
https://www.youtube.com/user/90civichb
Cody Yankey