Lets talk racing seats

Discussion of anything that doesn't fall into the Solo II and RallyX Categories
90civichb

Lets talk racing seats

Post by 90civichb »

I am looking for a racing seat for next season. Right now I have my Miata seat all chopped out and a crap 4-point harness (I know, unsafe), but I only use it for autocross.

I have been looking for a few months now for used Kirkey seat(s), but they never seem to turn up so I am about to pull the trigger on a new one. The more I look the more confused I get on what qualities to look for or what would fulfill my needs. This one for instance seems like a great price and exactly what I am looking for, but I am not sure if a 20* lean would be enough or maybe even too much. I also don't understand why they use an inch width and not reference these to a waist size. I wear a 36 and have no idea if I should go for the 16in or the 18in.

What seats have you all used in your "racecar", or if you didn't have to compromise, what seat would you get? Keeping a mild budget of course.
Check out some of the build.
https://www.youtube.com/user/90civichb
Cody Yankey
flier129

Re: Lets talk racing seats

Post by flier129 »

I don't know the dimensions, but I fit in JB's kirkey pretty good.

I'm anxious to put the sparco that I got from Lucas in my car. My concern is the bracket. I would like it to be on sliders, but I don't think I'll be able to manage the stock slider or sparco slider and still be low enough.
Marcus Luttrell - 99' Miata - GLTC/Max3/ST5 #92
Nine Lives Racing - Sales/spell-checker/IT
TedV

Post by TedV »

Ask John if you can sit in his and if it fits good, you know the size and specs to get. It fit me ok. Maybe a touch loose. I was given a 15" Kirkey once because nobody else could fit in it. I have a 31" waist. You can add padding if the seat is too big.
Ted V.
don't make me list all my VW's
MARKP

Post by MARKP »

I think Kirkey has changed their size designations since Ted and I got their seats. I'm pretty sure I had a 17" in the driver side of my car, 34" waist for me. They did 3 sizes then and it looks like they still do now. I had the 10 degree and it worked well for autocross use. This is the one I had (size could be off) http://www.summitracing.com/parts/kir-19400/overview/

You need to know that these economy seats are not something you want to live with for long on the street. They are uncomfortable, flimsy, and would likely not hold up well in a crash. They absolutely need to be completely screwed down at all four corners to have any rigidity. The intermediate seats are a little more sturdy and don't cost a lot more.
Mark Pilson
03 Z06 - Sword
09 Mustang - Club
01 Excursion - The safe you dropped from the 10th story
MikeKelly

Post by MikeKelly »

Hot Rod Barn on Broadway typically has these seats in stock where you could have a better look:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/kir-16800/overview/

You *might* find the subdued side bolsters easier to live with day to day in a street car.
Mike Kelly
"Still got the shovel..."
--Mr. Rate
MikeKelly

Post by MikeKelly »

MARKP wrote:They are uncomfortable, flimsy, and would likely not hold up well in a crash. They absolutely need to be completely screwed down at all four corners to have any rigidity.
I would add that the back of these seats also need to be bolted to something sturdy, period.

In a manner that offers some reasonable "crush" area / zone.

To be clear, this may be what Mark meant by "all four corners", but I thought a clarification was needed.

I would never install one with four bolts in the bottom alone.

Use something a lot like this, at shoulder blade level (or don't use these seats): http://www.summitracing.com/parts/kir-99202/overview/
Mike Kelly
--Mr. Rate
MARKP

Post by MARKP »

I actually only had mine at all 4 corners on the bottom but the seat bracket was a complete square instead of two runners so that my have helped. The back would flex a little in my car but it wasn't bad enough that it bothered me.
Mark Pilson
03 Z06 - Sword
09 Mustang - Club
01 Excursion - The safe you dropped from the 10th story
integra55

Post by integra55 »

I had an Intermediate (17") and it was bolted at the 4 corners … and wedged tightly against the roll bar (as opposed to to a back brace) … thank goodness I never had to find out if that was enough support
“The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.”

walter jones
'91 civic CRX, Ford F150, '14 Chevy Sonic

828-686-3245
steverife

Post by steverife »

I don't know if it is because I lean forward when I drive, but kirkeys beat the everliving crap out of me.

Sent from my HTC One V using Tapatalk
MikeKelly

Post by MikeKelly »

integra55 wrote:I had an Intermediate (17") and it was bolted at the 4 corners … and wedged tightly against the roll bar (as opposed to to a back brace) … thank goodness I never had to find out if that was enough support
Did that pass SCCA tech for RR or SOLO 1, or whatever it is exactly that you do besides autocross?

I'm just curious, not arguing.

But I would be scared to death of one that wasn't bolted back brace.

If the seat breaks in a crash, there's no telling where you'll end up (or actually - your body)...
Mike Kelly
--Mr. Rate
MARKP

Post by MARKP »

The intermediate seats are heavier duty than the economy.

Sent from the Galaxy.
integra55

Post by integra55 »

answer to Mike:

I've never taken it through a SCCA tech inspection … all I do (track wise) with SCCA is PDX and a-x

NASA TT tech inspection is basically the same as for HPDE … and OEM + 3 pt belts are all you "need" for that … same for any basic track day

the guy I bought it from had a Ultra Shield (pretty much the same thing) with a back brace (but he was doing TT's and hill climbs) … it was too small for my fat arse, so I traded it for the Kirkey and moved it all the way back before bolting it to the floor … which didn't leave enough room for the back brace … was hoping that if I ever screwed up enough, that it being wedged against the roll bar would be enough

and lots of folk consider the back braces to be nothing more than a back spear
“The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.”

walter jones
'91 civic CRX, Ford F150, '14 Chevy Sonic

828-686-3245
90civichb

Post by 90civichb »

Great information. From what I read about a back brace is that they are usually more dangerous than a safety feature. I think having one that would crush would be a great compromise for safety and structural rigidity. I have watched a few videos of people autocrossing with kirkeys and you can see the seat flex but I don't think I would be pulling the kind of lateral G's on street tires that the guys on A6s are.

In my instance the car will be driven at most once or twice a year to places like Bristol/Chattanooga, so the comfort thing is not really a concern of mine, I just want something light, functional, and cost effective. Are there other brands that meet these same criteria? I still don't know if a 20* lean would be too much, but I do like the idea of buying a larger seat and filling the voids with more padding (probably find a memory foam pillow and cut it up).
Cody Yankey
lcoleman

Post by lcoleman »

I just got a 14" roundie-round Kirkey for Christmas. You're welcome to try it some time if you want. I've got an older 17" too. I'm guessing that with a 36" waist you'll fit best in a 15" or 16".

I plan to just mount it on the bottom since I don't have a cage to brace the back to. I'm not gonna pretend it's safe, but I'm willing to take my chances since my car is not a full-blown track rat.
Lucas Coleman STM #72
90civichb

Post by 90civichb »

lcoleman wrote:I just got a 14" roundie-round Kirkey for Christmas. You're welcome to try it some time if you want. I've got an older 17" too. I'm guessing that with a 36" waist you'll fit best in a 15" or 16".

I plan to just mount it on the bottom since I don't have a cage to brace the back to. I'm not gonna pretend it's safe, but I'm willing to take my chances since my car is not a full-blown track rat.
Man, sorry I missed your Birthday gathering yesterday. I wasn't feeling very well after working on the Miata all day. I think I need a better mask when grinding/cutting all day. I would love to try out your seats and see what feels better. You going to run both of them or would you maybe want to sell that 17? :wink:
Cody Yankey