Renting a tow vehicle?

Discussion of anything that doesn't fall into the Solo II and RallyX Categories
thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

Thanks. That was a very helpful post.

We're thinking that Michelle could drive (and would like driving) a 4runner as opposed to some pickup truck. Otherwise I probably would kust get a truck. That said, I'm not sure the F150 with the right configuration would be any cheaper than the 4runner.
jspadaro

Re: Renting a tow vehicle?

Post by jspadaro »

Another thing you could look at, if being an eyesore isn't a problem, is an old conversion van. They made them into the early 2000's and they're dirt cheap. Sure, the gas mileage is horrible and they're pretty ugly, but they'll pull a trailer like a champ.
- James Spadaro
RxCritical

Post by RxCritical »

And think of the color combinations you could put on a old conversion van. :mrgreen:
Paul M.
C8 #34 SS
Team Canopy
jspadaro

Post by jspadaro »

And probably purple stripes! With regards to the 4runner thing, you could also check out expeditions, they're f-150-based. It really depends on how far you're towing, in my opinion. If I got the v8 4runner, especially 2wd to cut some weight, with the factory tow package so it has the transmission cooler, etc, and I also got a small, light trailer for my small, light Miata, I'm sure it'd work fairly well, especially for shorter 3-4 hour trips.
- James Spadaro
MARKP

Post by MARKP »

Just get a Suburban. Hard to beat for a dual purpose vehicle that has no problem towing.

Sent from the Galaxy.
TedV

Post by TedV »

Expeditions seem to bring a premium price. Besides that or a suburban, crew cab short bed F250 diesel is what I would prefer to have. Carpenters tow vehicle, but the $$$$$ was not in my budget. Suburbans are dime a dozen, parts are cheap, don't cost much, but sucks to daily drive. 18mpg on a good day, more average 16. Towing open trailer is 12-13mpg.
Ted V.
don't make me list all my VW's
TennTechMan

Post by TennTechMan »

RV is the answer. Then you can save hotel money too. Staying on-site makes for a much more relaxing time away.

Find someone that you know with some space to park it when you're not using it.
Aaron Carroll

STM 11 - 91 Geo Metro
Lead Engineer of the Knoxvegas Lowballers
Apexemall

Post by Apexemall »

I used the uhaul the two times I broke my tranny. It is a good rig. It tows well and has an inertial brake, so you don't need a brake controller. You do need the 4 plug lighting harness. It also has built in tie-downs that wrap neatly over the front tires. I think it is about $55/day. Holds 1 vehicle. The biggest problem I had was that the fenders won't let you open the doors on a low vehicle like most of ours. Also has a front stop that will hit your air dam. I had to put my WRX on 2x10s.

Clyde Stahl
Clyde Stahl
54 C1
69 C10
11 C6
04 WRX
thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

TennTechMan wrote:
Find someone that you know with an RV you can borrow.
[emoji2]
CobaltSSlow

Post by CobaltSSlow »

My friend just rented a 2015 Ram 2500 (hemi, not diesel) from Hertz, but they do have a lock through the receiver. I'm working on finding out for myself if that can be removed since I need to pick up my other car from my parents house in Nashville before they sell it. Worst case I know of a way to remove the lock without damaging it :-D
steverife

Post by steverife »

Worst case would be something happening after you explicitly agreed to not tow.
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

Yeah, I'm not going to open myself up to criminal and civil liability to tow a car.
Chris Harp
2009 Mazda RX-8 | 2018 Toyota Tundra | 2011 BMW M3
jspadaro

Post by jspadaro »

In all seriousness, suburban seems like the way to go, even though if you were truly a cool kid, you'd appreciate the beauty that is a conversion van.
- James Spadaro
jcox07

Post by jcox07 »

Diesel excursion way better than suburban and put a tuner on it and gas mileage way better than suburban.
JY ( Jeff ) Cox
ETR R.E
2018-2021, 2022, 2023 Solo Nationals Co Chairman
2010 GT500
Buck05Sti

Post by Buck05Sti »

jcox07 wrote:Diesel excursion way better than suburban and put a tuner on it and gas mileage way better than suburban.
Unbiased opinion? :wink: :lol:
Ryan Buckingham

2005 STi- STU #20

2004 Z06 Commemorative Edition (gold chain not included)