Renting a tow vehicle?

Discussion of anything that doesn't fall into the Solo II and RallyX Categories
thrdeye

Renting a tow vehicle?

Post by thrdeye »

We are considering buying a V8 4 Runner, but we really don't have room for a 3rd car. We could make it work, but would prefer not to. We could sell the M3, but it's so good that we don't really want to. For the 5-6 times a year that we'd want to tow, it seems silly to dedicate $13k+ and room in the driveway to it.

Now, I WOULD buy a trailer, because I can store it close by and I can always sell it and break close to even.

Renting an RV is way too expensive and they will only let you tow 2500 lbs with it anyway.

I know enterprise will rent F150s but I'm guessing those are probably ill-equipped to tow and we'd want a crew cab anyway.

Anyone have any other ideas on renting a tow vehicle a few times a year?
Chris Harp
2009 Mazda RX-8 | 2018 Toyota Tundra | 2011 BMW M3
steverife

Post by steverife »

I found nothing when I looked into this 2 years ago.

Sent from my HTC One V using Tapatalk
Fuelrush

Re: Renting a tow vehicle?

Post by Fuelrush »

I've been looking into the same thing. We have an event in Colorado in August. I do not want to sit in the Exige for 20 hours of I can help it. If you come up with something please post it.
Justin Dougherty
2006 Lotus Exige
2002 Honda S2000 #15 STR (Sold but not forgotten)
Fuelrush

Post by Fuelrush »

I did note some companies rented 3/4 and a ton trucks and being new trucks they listed pretty good gas milage vs older used trucks that I could buy. I'm not sure if they have tow restrictions etc.
Justin Dougherty
2006 Lotus Exige
RxCritical

Post by RxCritical »

I know enterprise rents F250 diesel trucks.
Paul M.
C8 #34 SS
Team Canopy
TedV

Post by TedV »

Years ago there were a few guys at Rd Atl that rented pick up from U-haul or ??? And towed their open trailer to the track. They might even have used the whole puckup- surge brake u-haul trailer rig. They explained it was more cost effective even tho the per event/weekend seemed high it was less than the drive off the lot depreciation of a same year truck purchase.

Since your trailer probably will have electric trailer brakes, the big part will be finding a rental with a receiver hitch and then the brake controller. New vehicles have plug in harness connectors so you could possibly quick wire your own controller in, then remove it before you return it.
Ted V.
don't make me list all my VW's
ConeEater

Post by ConeEater »

I'd look into whether or not the rental places allowed towing with their trucks (meaning pick up trucks). I know all of the 1/2 tons I've rented did not have receivers. When my truck was down this summer the dealer knew I needed a truck and when I mentioned needing it to be able pull a trailer, the rental place said that none of their trucks were able to for that reason.
I'd really be shocked if any let you for the liability factor if something would go wrong.
Brian Huber
2021 Stingray Coupe ( NOT for cone hitting )
2016 Scion FR-ETH 58/158 SSC
Scalded Snail Racing
integra55

Post by integra55 »

I'm pretty sure I've read several post (other forums) where folk have rented trucks (with the expressed purpose of towing) from Enterprise
“The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.”

walter jones
'91 civic CRX, Ford F150, '14 Chevy Sonic

828-686-3245
Fuelrush

Post by Fuelrush »

I don't know why they would rent you a huge truck and then tell you you couldn't tow. What else would you do with a 3/4 or ton diesel. But I wouldn't put it past them either.
Justin Dougherty
2006 Lotus Exige
Buck05Sti

Post by Buck05Sti »

well, FWIW, i rented a pickup truck and trailer from uhaul when we moved ('member Chris? you helped!) and they didnt really question anything as far as towing with their truck/trailer. that being said, it was a gas f150 and was a DOG trying to tow that trailer and our furniture etc on it.
Ryan Buckingham

2005 STi- STU #20

2004 Z06 Commemorative Edition (gold chain not included)
RxCritical

Post by RxCritical »

Lenoir City Ford currently has in stock a F250 Diesel which they bought from Enterprise. It does have the towing package and even a factory brake controller. So I know Enterprise at least rents a tow worthy vehicle.
Paul M.
C8 #34 SS
Team Canopy
steverife

Post by steverife »

I don't remember specifics, but it seemed like a dud. Some combination of commercial account, rent their trailer, high cost per mile, and no guaranteed availability for each place I contacted.
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
oldmuscle69

Post by oldmuscle69 »

In the past the Penske group used Avis. I have now found out they use Hertz now.I have been checking out the corporate web site and they offer a discount on rentals.But not sure at this time on the offerings,such as vehicles and price diff from off the street.I'll keep checking on this issue.We could all use a good tow unit at times.Will the trailer haul two cars? !!!!!! I did find out I can get a 15% discount on Penske racing shocks,still working on this finding and what sort of support I might end up with.Poss a mute issue.
Bob Colbert
72RatCamaro

Post by 72RatCamaro »

Enterprise may have trucks that can tow, but it is against their regulations to tow with them. I have Enterprise here in my office most days (not today Icepocolypse), but will clarify with them tomorrow morning. Your best bet would be UHaul or the like. However, I fully support the idea of a V8 4Runner.
Andrew Hodge
jspadaro

Post by jspadaro »

Uhaul definitely will rent you a pickup truck with receiver and an auto transport trailer to get all 4 wheels off the ground. My friend who has a truck but no trailer gets the auto transport periodically for about $60/day. Their trucks are $20/day + 49 cents/mile. So for a two-night weekend in Atlanta, you'd probably be talking roughly $300 for the truck and about $200 for the trailer, give or take. I don't know where you could get a crew cab rental, though at least most of the trucks seat 3 if that helps?

Do that six times a year and you're sitting around $3000, which is why we just went ahead and bought a truck and trailer, and subsequently have had tons of use for both now that we have them. :D I understand the conundrum, though, and crew cab trucks are definitely expensive.

Also, I've played this game with a Tacoma. Granted, it doesn't have the v8 like the 4runner, but it is the same frame and length, which matters a lot for towing. I thought it was overkill when the guys that tow vehicles frequently say you really need a 3/4 ton, but a 1/2 ton truck really does do much, much better than my Tacoma did. We have a crew-cab 2011 f-150 now, and we love it.

I would feel comfortable going cross-country in an Ecoboost or 5.0 V8 F-150 with a 5000-lb trailer and bed full of stuff. I would not do the same in the Tacoma I had. It could pull the weight, but not comfortably, and I really had to make the engine work harder than I was comfortable with for a long distance. The other issue is that the weight of the trailer is much, much more noticeable with high winds due to the taco being lighter and shorter, and the brakes on the f-150 blow the ones on the taco out of the water. Yes, you should have trailer brakes, but I don't like being dependent on them.

Anyway, my 2 cents, sounds like you'll figure it out!
- James Spadaro