Board and Officers Nominations

Discussion of anything that doesn't fall into the Solo II and RallyX Categories
Gen52SS

Re: Board and Officers Nominations

Post by Gen52SS »

thrdeye wrote:This came up last year (not the MSR part, but voting on unopposed positions). We can't/should not require someone to vote for anyone regardless if they are the only candidate.
That's why I wanted to read the bylaws. I don't see anything in them about unopposed positions and how we vote. This should be taken up tonight and BOD should vote on how we handle this and put it in the bylaws....???
Paul Breitweiser
2016 STX Champion FRS Raven Black
01badz28

Post by 01badz28 »

Gen52SS wrote:
thrdeye wrote:This came up last year (not the MSR part, but voting on unopposed positions). We can't/should not require someone to vote for anyone regardless if they are the only candidate.
That's why I wanted to read the bylaws. I don't see anything in them about unopposed positions and how we vote. This should be taken up tonight and BOD should vote on how we handle this and put it in the bylaws....???
Okay okay, time out here.

Traditionally the club has always mailed out ballots for the election of board members / officers. Article III Section 4 memorializes this by stating
If there are more nominations than positions available, the Secretary shall cause election ballots to be mailed to each
member.

The only way ballots aren't sent out is if there are no election contests. If we have even one election contest, then ballots are sent out. Members are free to vote, not vote, use the ballots as toilet paper, etc. This isn't Russia, Lynn doesn't accompany the ballots with a .45 to make sure you vote appropriately.

Article III Section 4 also allows for alternative electronic voting, which we have used for the past 3 maybe 4 years. If I remember correctly we voted last meeting to use the same system, so really we just need to dredge up the old voting program Gary put together, make sure the membership database is up to date, and let folks vote.

IMO we don't need to amend the bylaws over something this trivial (its a PITA). Since Article III Section 4 gives the board the authority to approve an alternate voting system, the board can just vote to change the policy to take care of any ambiguities.
Ryan E. Jarrard
2001 Camaro Z28, SM #24
2011 BMW M3 Coupe
1989 BMW M3
jcox07

Post by jcox07 »

The reason you have to vote for those running un opposed is the way it was last year, it would not let you finish unless you voted in all positions. If you just voted for board positions and not the others, it kicked you back to start all over again till you selected a member that was on all spots, at least that was what it did when I voted the last several times.
JY ( Jeff ) Cox
ETR R.E
2018-2021, 2022, 2023 Solo Nationals Co Chairman
2010 GT500
01badz28

Post by 01badz28 »

jcox07 wrote:The reason you have to vote for those running un opposed is the way it was last year, it would not let you finish unless you voted in all positions. If you just voted for board positions and not the others, it kicked you back to start all over again till you selected a member that was on all spots, at least that was what it did when I voted the last several times.
I remember that, and I thought it got changed after the problem was realized? Maybe not. IMO the program needs to allow a partial vote, just like a paper ballot would.
Ryan E. Jarrard
2001 Camaro Z28, SM #24
2011 BMW M3 Coupe
1989 BMW M3
jcox07

Post by jcox07 »

We have voted on line the past several years as it saves the club money on stamps and such to send each member a ballot and is easier and better than paper as a computer doesn't lie on who got votes and who didn't.
JY ( Jeff ) Cox
ETR R.E
2010 GT500
Gen52SS

Post by Gen52SS »

Can I at least present the MSR alternative at tonight's meeting.... it looks like might be just what we need to handle elections many other clubs use it. Right now MSR is down for system upgrade when it comes back online I'll test to make sure you can just vote for one or all. It also has several parameters you can set.
Paul Breitweiser
thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

I have no opinion except to do whatever is easiest. Usually only about 30 members take part in voting. So, although the election is an integral part of our club and bylaws, the issue itself is pretty inconsequential.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk
Chris Harp
2009 Mazda RX-8 | 2018 Toyota Tundra | 2011 BMW M3
jcox07

Post by jcox07 »

If MSR cost us to have the election I think we just need to do it on our forum like we have the past couple years.
JY ( Jeff ) Cox
ETR R.E
2010 GT500
Gen52SS

Post by Gen52SS »

jcox07 wrote:If MSR cost us to have the election I think we just need to do it on our forum like we have the past couple years.
No cost to us and MSR is up running and you can vote just for 1 person or all. The forum sounds good to me a lot less work for me or whoever. :D

Can't we all just get along :D I had no idea we only get 30 people voting at election time :(
Paul Breitweiser
01badz28

Post by 01badz28 »

I don't care so long as it complies with the bylaws (ETR yearly paying members only, one person only gets one vote, etc.).
Ryan E. Jarrard
2001 Camaro Z28, SM #24
2011 BMW M3 Coupe
1989 BMW M3
Gen52SS

Post by Gen52SS »

SAMPLE BALLOT

Only MSR authorized people can view results by logging on as organizer with your password and going to Surveys and Elections to see how results are posted.
Paul Breitweiser
disneyd
Site Admin

Post by disneyd »

I made changes to Gary's code to (hopefully) accommodate everyone's voting weirdness ;)

You can vote None for the unopposed positions and you can vote for less than or equal to 6 board positions.

I sent the link to Pilson.
- Dave Disney
disneyd
Site Admin

Post by disneyd »

The MSR thing looks good as long as it only lets Region #68 members in good standing vote.
- Dave Disney
Gen52SS

Post by Gen52SS »

disneyd wrote:The MSR thing looks good as long as it only lets Region #68 members in good standing vote.
Dave it allows for 3 different parameters for that
1. Everyone in Database
2. ONLY Verified SCCA members
3. ONLY Verified ETR Members
If you are not a member of ETR in MSR database you can't vote also lists the voting SCCA members name and SCCA number #444555 in results.
Paul Breitweiser
jcox07

Post by jcox07 »

Only problem with that Paul is if you are a member but not a veried member in MSR for some reason, then you don't get to vote, that is why I like our forum.
JY ( Jeff ) Cox
ETR R.E
2010 GT500