Tire Patch

Discussion of anything that doesn't fall into the Solo II and RallyX Categories
disneyd
Site Admin

Tire Patch

Post by disneyd »

Anyone know a place that would patch this for a friend of mine? The first place she took it wouldn't, but I've patched plenty of similar punctures in my day and never had a problem (but I don't have tire equipment anymore).
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1452127229.861370.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1452127229.861370.jpg (593.53 KiB) Viewed 4276 times
- Dave Disney
Gen52SS

Re: Tire Patch

Post by Gen52SS »

Yeah did many inside patches in my day tire like new when done. I don't see it done much here in Tennessee ...scuff wheel, good patch adhesive and proper patch will do it.
Last edited by Gen52SS on Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Paul Breitweiser
2016 STX Champion FRS Raven Black
MikeKelly

Post by MikeKelly »

I always knock the tire off the rim and put a rubber patch on the inside.

I used to use rubber cement, now I use RTV.

The only thing a tire place will do is plug it from the outside or sell you a new tire.

You mostly have to do it for yourself, the tire places just want to sell tires (or plug them and wait)...

disneyd wrote:(but I don't have tire equipment anymore)
Me neither - I can usually find a used tire place that will cooperate, at least a little...
Mike Kelly
"Still got the shovel..."
--Mr. Rate
scottgib

Post by scottgib »

Plug it. I like DynaPlug.
Old men can still dream!

Scott Gibson
lcoleman

Post by lcoleman »

It's a common liability/legal thing at larger dealers/shops nowadays. Anything in the "outer tread block" is a no-go for us. I've never tried it personally, but wouldn't a patch have to curve around onto the sidewall of the tire? Genuinely curious here.

+1 for a used tire place.

I'd plug it in a heartbeat if it was on my own personal vehicle, for what it's worth.
Lucas Coleman STM #72
Miata22

Post by Miata22 »

Try Tri county tire in Oliver Springs. They may do it for you. They have done many for me in prior years.
Randy Adkins
Gen52SS

Post by Gen52SS »

lcoleman wrote:It's a common liability/legal thing at larger dealers/shops nowadays. Anything in the "outer tread block" is a no-go for us. I've never tried it personally, but wouldn't a patch have to curve around onto the sidewall of the tire? Genuinely curious here.

+1 for a used tire place.

I'd plug it in a heartbeat if it was on my own personal vehicle, for what it's worth.
Lucas ...I'm going back 25-30 years ago for me. We would NEVER or rarely use a tire plug or a rope repair. Break the tire down spread it apart use a air type tire scuff wheel 3 or 4 inches around the area. Use a drop light with a real bulb to heat the area and only used radial patches and good adhesive several coats while curing each coat under heat of bulb. If the repair was in the curve or sidewall patch and tube it was the way to go. Things have changed a lot now I'm sure. Cost was $5.00 time on job about 30-45 minutes..... this was old school stuff. :D
Paul Breitweiser
2016 STX Champion FRS Raven Black
Challenger

Re: RE: Re: Tire Patch

Post by Challenger »

Miata22 wrote:Try Tri county tire in Oliver Springs. They may do it for you. They have done many for me in prior years.
I'll second the Tri County tire vote. Jimmy there has done many for me also.

Sent from my SM-S765C using Tapatalk
Steve Vrooman
2016 Dodge Challenger CAM C
Teufelshund

Post by Teufelshund »

Try Stevenson Tire in Maryville
Brian Robbins
XP 45
TedV

Post by TedV »

C&D on 411 by 129 junction wouldn't do it? Liability on the shoulder, most places won't. Short of tire shop doing a patchplug ( patch that has the STEM you pull through the hole from the inside) get busy with the rope plug. But if it fails what's the worst that can happen?
Ted V.
don't make me list all my VW's
MikeKelly

Post by MikeKelly »

lcoleman wrote:wouldn't a patch have to curve around onto the sidewall of the tire? Genuinely curious here.
Probably yes - on the hole that's pictured - it won't hurt anything (or at least hasn't for me).

One of the reasons I started using RTV for adhesive is it seems to set up faster and better - You've got to be careful not to disturb the patch when you're remounting the tire. Often, I'll only take the tire half off the rim.

The reason I insist on an inside patch is that most (or at least many) plugs will start leaking within 6 months...

And I never liked enlarging the hole the original screw / nail made for the purpose of getting a plug to fit from the outside... :roll:
Mike Kelly
"Still got the shovel..."
--Mr. Rate
steverife

Post by steverife »

Early in my driving career, I had bad luck with patches. It seemed like it would take a few tries to get it right.

I've plugged on the outer block because I didn't know better and had good luck.
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

+1 on "I'd plug it myself and run it"
Chris Harp
2009 Mazda RX-8 | 2018 Toyota Tundra | 2011 BMW M3
MARKP

Post by MARKP »

Agree with Lucas and Paul. Most places wont touch it being in the outer tread block area. I have patched them in that area and been fine if you can find some one that knows what they are doing.

I don't like plugs. Possible tire separation issues make that a no-no to me.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
Mark Pilson
03 Z06 - Sword
09 Mustang - Club
01 Excursion - The safe you dropped from the 10th story
lcoleman

Post by lcoleman »

Lucas ...I'm going back 25-30 years ago for me. We would NEVER or rarely use a tire plug or a rope repair. Break the tire down spread it apart use a air type tire scuff wheel 3 or 4 inches around the area. Use a drop light with a real bulb to heat the area and only used radial patches and good adhesive several coats while curing each coat under heat of bulb. If the repair was in the curve or sidewall patch and tube it was the way to go. Things have changed a lot now I'm sure. Cost was $5.00 time on job about 30-45 minutes..... this was old school stuff. :D
We only did plugs when I started, now we only do patches. I think either are fine, I prefer plus largely for the speed and ease on installation. We use the one-piece patches....I guess I can see a two-piece working ok near the sidewall, but I'd still be hesitant.

RTV on a patch? No friggin' way. Vulcanizing tire cement only for me.
Lucas Coleman STM #72