Post by Teufelshund »

How easy is it to remove?
Brian Robbins
XP 45
ConeEater

Re: What have you done to your car

Post by ConeEater »

Ok... so here we go.

Don't have pics on the laptop to upload, but I'll explain as I can.

Kim has the DYC sprayer as well. I have NEVER used it before. She does all the dip work in the house.

We used flat black with the dip your car hi gloss. Basically 50/50 mix, and it gives it a satin finish.

Did 6 coats on the car with the sprayer and 7 on the entire back of the Z06. We just used blue painters and yellow 3M tape to mask it off and used bed sheets etc, to cover.

After the 7 coats on the back, we started peeling and the fine blue tape pulled the dip off... so we stripped the back ( took 15 minutes ) and then I went and did the back all over myself.
Used the can flat back spray you can get @ pep boys and roughed in the taillight buckets and other hard to reach with the gun places.

6 lights coats took a couple minutes each and about 15-20 minutes for drying between coats. It was my 1st time trying it and I think it looks dam good. Kim did a great job on the stripes.

The more coats and thicker the finished product is, the easier it peels off. There's certain places to tape off and others ( like headlights ) that you can mask off partially and leave the rest on. I removed the tail lights, and license plate assembly just to make it easier. It will break on its own around body panels and if you want to do a trunk or hood and leave the rest, you can just peel it from the rest.

Prep is key to getting a good lasting product. The nose and mirrors on my car were dipped back in 2014 and I just peeled them a couple weeks ago. that was just with a spray can and it held up great. Kim's veloster is dipped and we added regular pin stripes at the edges to make things easier since sometimes the edges don't look smooth. Kinda like what OEM dose on 2 tone cars.

I'll be adding a red pin stripe to the black on the car to do just that.

As long as it doesn't rain much this Sunday the car will be there. Just got the graphics done.
Brian Huber
2021 Stingray Coupe ( NOT for cone hitting )
2016 Scion FR-ETH 58/158 SSC
Scalded Snail Racing
TedV

Post by TedV »

Kim is a keeper.. Just saying..
Ted V.
don't make me list all my VW's
ConeEater

Post by ConeEater »

Yes she is. We're house shopping right now and she's been the one pushing to find a house with either a big garage, or one with enough room to add one.

If anyone is on Google+ look up Z06autocrosser (that's me) or #scca and my posts with pictures should show up
Brian Huber
Scalded Snail Racing
Mark McCrary

Post by Mark McCrary »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RVZsQQRM6g

Here was just a quick video I did on the Jetta. I kept it on the car for 8 months I think. I peeled it to sell it. Just as getting the wax off it is very important that the car is 100% dry. Especially the trim and little crevices. The dip will lift in a week if moister is behind it. I had so rust areas on the lower rocket at the beginning stages and was starting to bleed thru the dip. When I peeled the car it took me about 3 hours to get it all off. The panels are easy then I used a pressure washer to get the hard parts. had two small places where the paint came off with the dip. Those where just on my $50 plain cheap enamel $30 spray. The factory paint no issues at all and look as good as new. Tape off everything you do not want dip on. Including your garage floor/engine compartment, everything. Its just like painting a car just no sanding and any tape lines that touch the body of the car you must peel immediately after your final wet coat or the dip will lift like Brian said.
Mark McCrary
2004 Mazda RX-8 C-Street
ConeEater

Post by ConeEater »

Yes. And temperature is a big factor too. If it's cooler and a little more humid, . The moisture can get under easier.

The first try on the hyundai only lasted a couple weeks die to moisture.

Her corvette was peeled after 7 months but was because a couple spots started to lift due to damage from outside elements.
The second try on the hyundai is looking great after about 7 months now and we'll stay on until she decides to change
Brian Huber
Scalded Snail Racing
Teufelshund

Post by Teufelshund »

How much did you guys spend on dip?
Brian Robbins
XP 45
disneyd
Site Admin

Post by disneyd »

I guess my main question on the plasti-dip is, why not just paint the car if you're going to all that trouble (cleaning, removing parts, masking off) and expense? I could put a nice base/clear paint job on the same car for what you're spending on plasti-dip materials and it wouldn't take me much more time. The only extra step would really be a couple of wet passes with some scotch bright pads.

Is it for extra protection of the original paint?

Is it because you want a temporary color change?

Is it easier to apply (and still look good) than paint? More forgiving?

I'm not putting it down, just looking at it as a new tool and trying to figure out its best use.
- Dave Disney
ConeEater

Post by ConeEater »

The cost is huge for paining for one thing.
For the dip your car starter kit, we got everything err needed to do a car for about $500. That included get v choice of a color to add to the clear.

It took us 2 hours to mask and prep the car.

It's for many reasons... Protection, something different, etc.
You get bored, you peel and start over. The back end getting screwed up... How long to fix that of it was paint.. Flat black paint? That cost us 90 minutes.

The dip is super cheap, and there's tons you can do with it.

A good.. Good paint job is 3-5k easy.. More for show quality. The cost is the new pro level dip clears are more than we paid, but still cheap and you can wax it and it looks like factory.

Check the car out and see what you think.
Kim's corvette was done last summer in a color flip and it looked great. Didn't feel like an oem paint, but still nice. It was smooth as paint as well
Brian Huber
Scalded Snail Racing