Looking for 100 octane or higher non-leaded fuel

Discussion of anything that doesn't fall into the Solo II and RallyX Categories
eunos735

Re: Looking for 100 octane or higher non-leaded fuel

Post by eunos735 »

If my setup would live on e85....I'd run it in a heartbeat.
SSM 96/196
90civichb

Post by 90civichb »

Would the E85 limit you or did you already go too deep into your motor build to use it? I know you run some crazy cam grinds and probably run some pretty aggressive timing with C-16. Maybe join the dark side and run an EFR setup. :lol:
Check out some of the build.
https://www.youtube.com/user/90civichb
Cody Yankey
eunos735

Post by eunos735 »

Why would I want to slow down ;)

But I run over 11:1 compression and north of 20psi boost. We are close to 25 degrees of ignition advance at torque peak tuned for MBT.

E-85 is a GREAT fuel for many builds....mine's just a little "off the reservation"
Last edited by eunos735 on Fri Jan 22, 2016 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SSM 96/196
01badz28

Post by 01badz28 »

My Camaro is good to go on E85, would just have to tweek the tune a little bit. I've always been tempted to do it, but I'm not sure what the performance difference would be.
Ryan E. Jarrard
2001 Camaro Z28, SM #24
2011 BMW M3 Coupe
1989 BMW M3
90civichb

Post by 90civichb »

eunos735 wrote:But I run over 11:1 compression and north of 20psi boost. We are close to 25 degrees of igniting advance at torque peak tuned for MBT.
Clearly not a Mazda transmission. :lol:

E85 compression builds seem to do pretty well, but I have yet to see a BP with that kind of compression run it. I am sure someone on MT.net will do it though.
01badz28 wrote:My Camaro is good to go on E85, would just have to tweek the tune a little bit. I've always been tempted to do it, but I'm not sure what the performance difference would be.
From my understanding NA cars don't benefit like a FI car does. With that said, I have no idea what you are driving and am just going on the assumption that it's an NA Camaro. We use E85 at work for our Flex Fuel Jeeps. I can't tell a difference in power at all compared to high octane, but I get about 4 less miles a gallon.
Cody Yankey
01badz28

Post by 01badz28 »

01badz28 wrote:My Camaro is good to go on E85, would just have to tweek the tune a little bit. I've always been tempted to do it, but I'm not sure what the performance difference would be.
From my understanding NA cars don't benefit like a FI car does. With that said, I have no idea what you are driving and am just going on the assumption that it's an NA Camaro. We use E85 at work for our Flex Fuel Jeeps. I can't tell a difference in power at all compared to high octane, but I get about 4 less miles a gallon.[/quote]

Its NA but I swapped an LS3 in it when the original LS1 blew up. The motor was initially built with a crazy thought to go FI at some point (a rear mount turbo, so the cam and injectors were selected with that in mind. The car ended having really good low end performance (especially for a LS based motor) and I decided not to go FI.
Ryan E. Jarrard
2001 Camaro Z28, SM #24
2011 BMW M3 Coupe
1989 BMW M3
TBailey

Post by TBailey »

100LL Avgas will run you 5.00. And it's good stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TBailey

Post by TBailey »

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
eunos735

Post by eunos735 »

90civichb wrote:
eunos735 wrote:But I run over 11:1 compression and north of 20psi boost. We are close to 25 degrees of igniting advance at torque peak tuned for MBT.
Clearly not a Mazda transmission. :lol:

E85 compression builds seem to do pretty well, but I have yet to see a BP with that kind of compression run it. I am sure someone on MT.net will do it though

LOL. No. It's a Quaife gearbox. I went through SEVERAL 5 speeds and 6 speeds before realizing that it would have been cheaper to do it right the first time.
SSM 96/196
MikeKelly

Post by MikeKelly »

Stopped by West Haven on the way home from work today.

He has Sunoco "Standard" (R+M)/2: 110 for $9.80 a gallon.

He has Sunoco "Supreme" (R+M)/2: 112 for $10.80 a gallon.

He says his prices have been the same for three years.

His pump is currently broken, but will be fixed in the next few weeks (no later than mid-Feb).

Both of those fuels are leaded and he says that can or will cause problems with oxygen sensors for the EFI guys.

He's considering replacing the Sunoco "Supreme" with 260 GT (R+M)/2: 100, or 260 GT Plus (R+M)/2: 104 (both unleaded race gas) for the EFI / turbo guys - so if you have a preference in that regard you might stop by or give him a call and let him know.

http://www.sunocoracingfuels.com/en/
Mike Kelly
"Still got the shovel..."
--Mr. Rate
90civichb

Post by 90civichb »

01badz28 wrote: Its NA but I swapped an LS3 in it when the original LS1 blew up. The motor was initially built with a crazy thought to go FI at some point (a rear mount turbo, so the cam and injectors were selected with that in mind. The car ended having really good low end performance (especially for a LS based motor) and I decided not to go FI.
Sounds like a handfull for autocross and, extremely fun.
TBailey wrote:100LL Avgas will run you 5.00. And it's good stuff.
That sounds way more reasonable.
MikeKelly wrote:Stopped by West Haven on the way home from work today....
Thanks Mike! Good to know they don't stock anything unleaded. From the look of things I will be headed to the airport.
Cody Yankey
Scoob

Post by Scoob »

You guys are talking about West Haven Auto Parts on Western Ave? I need a source for my 110 fuel now so I'm interested. Especially at $10/gallon instead of $13-15 at the kart track. I guess that's a pump and not in cans? Thanks!
Scott Boito
#68 CAM-S C5 Z06
SEDIV SSS

BetterOffRacing
MikeKelly

Post by MikeKelly »

Scoob wrote:You guys are talking about West Haven Auto Parts on Western Ave? I need a source for my 110 fuel now so I'm interested. Especially at $10/gallon instead of $13-15 at the kart track. I guess that's a pump and not in cans? Thanks!
That's the one.

It's actually one street back and I'm not sure he opens every day - mostly round track customers.

He expects to have the pump fixed by the middle of February.

3608 Montgomery Ave NW, Knoxville, TN 37921
Phone:(865) 546-3813
Mike Kelly
"Still got the shovel..."
--Mr. Rate
TedV

Post by TedV »

Scoob wrote:You guys are talking about West Haven Auto Parts on Western Ave?
That's the place. I've ran the 110 fuel in my Formula Ford and Kart. I was going to try some of the VP fuel sold on Tazewell Pike but at the end of last year I only needed a gallon and the VP comes in 5 gallon cans. Didn't want a can with broken seal sitting over the winter.
Ted V.
don't make me list all my VW's
PushinTheLimit

Post by PushinTheLimit »

I've got some 110 mixed with 93 that I've been trying to sell for awhile. I would have to check, but I'd say its leaded fuel. I got 24 gallons left cause I've switched over to VP113 now.

I go to West Haven all the time for random stuff, but it is more geared to the round track guys for sure.
Michael Smith
C5 Z06
ST2 #10