NA Miata Knowledge

Discussion of anything that doesn't fall into the Solo II and RallyX Categories
bugdewde

NA Miata Knowledge

Post by bugdewde »

'91 Miata owner for about a week now.
Wow...... why didn't I drive/own one of these 20 years ago?

Anyway, purchased from a coworker with 217k miles. Runs great. Looks rough. Pretty cheap. Gonna be my daily (a/c works) for a while.... as long as it will last.
While this goes against logic, it won't be my autocrosser toy. I prefer the slower and harder to drive '72 & '73 Vegas and '81 Trans Am for that .

So....... I've been to miata.net forum in an attempt to get some knowledge about the car..... and parts search (radio and bezel... successfully).
So, where would you Miata guys recommend I go for gaining some insight into this neat little car?
What pointers could you offer to a newb Miata owner? More along the lines of maintenance and driveability. ...... not so much as for major upgrades and modifications.
Thanks,
Dwight
lcoleman

Re: NA Miata Knowledge

Post by lcoleman »

clubroadster.net and miataturbo.net are the preferred sources of knowledge if you want performance-oriented mods and not information about which non-functional style bar is more chrome. There's tons of Miata knowledge here locally and in the club. There are also a few groups on Facebook, if you have that.

I'd refresh the bushings and suspension, probably upgrade the radiator, throw on a set of decent tires, and enjoy it. Those cars will teach you a ton about driving...you'll be autocrossing it in no time. :)
Lucas Coleman STM #72
Chuck629

Post by Chuck629 »

bugdewde wrote:While this goes against logic, it won't be my autocrosser toy. I prefer the slower and harder to drive '72 & '73 Vegas and '81 Trans Am for that .
Is their something in the drinking water in Rockwood?
Charlie Sykes STM #55

1991 Honda CRX SI
1990 Mazda Miata
eunos735

Post by eunos735 »

My first piece of advice is to erase Miata.Net from your browser history. It's about the most embarrassing thing someone could find on your PC.

Join MiataTurbo.Net....the SEARCH and READ. Things can go south QUICKLY if you don't read the FAQ and search for stuff before asking.

There are a few folks around here who know Miata's inside and out. We would be glad to help you in anyway.
SSM 96/196
bugdewde

Post by bugdewde »

Chuck629 wrote:
Is their something in the drinking water in Rockwood?

Probably...... my first autocross was in a stock '73 Vega around '06 at an autocross school at Meca. It was awful but loved it. (Still own car.... as well as 2 other Vegas).

Followed that up with a stock '79 Trans Am around '09 at Pellissippi. Won my class for that event!.... however, I've lost the shirt/trophy.

'06 GTO & '81 Trans Am have made a couple laps......

My next autocrosser will be the recent 72 Vega Wagon I bought in Oklahoma. All stock except for the 215 V8.

After driving the Miata, I can see the errors of my ways all these years........ but its too late for me.
I'm hoping to get the Miata looking better, it's quite ragged. I've since gotten a trunk lid, tail light panel, rear bumper cover, and a used top on the frame. Need some interior parts (located in knoxville craigslist but I'm in Fla until tomorrow).
Initially bought to play with and transfer to gal-pal's son when he gets his license and a job in August...... doubt he'll get it now. Lol.
flier129

Post by flier129 »

+1 for miataturbo over the rest, lots of useful information on that forum.

They've literally made over a million of these things, parts are everywhere, it's great.
Marcus Luttrell - 99' Miata - GLTC/Max3/ST5 #92
Nine Lives Racing - Sales/spell-checker/IT
DangerDanJD

Post by DangerDanJD »

I bought my first miata in December and have learned a lot since then. I prefer the forums over on miataturbo.net and clubroadster.net for builds and performance type mods. I don't frequent the miata.net forums and agree that they are pretty useless, but I have found the articles in the garage section can provide some helpful basic tutorials for those where are not particularly mechanically minded (www.miata.net/garage).
Dan Pilkington
2011 C63 AMG
1995 Miata M
TedV

Post by TedV »

Since ETR threads are made to go off topic.. Dan, any chance you are related to the Pilkingtons involved in competition air rifles out west TN?
Ted V.
don't make me list all my VW's
oldmuscle69

Post by oldmuscle69 »

WOW did I just read I am not going to autocross the Miata. But I am looking for a new dress and some of those non functional tuner parts.
Bob Colbert
bugdewde

Post by bugdewde »

Yes, Bob...... I think that's what you heard.
Dresses keep ripping upon entry/exit of Miata. I don't understand? ........ they're chick cars, right? Lol.... :D
Thinking of adding some turn signal intakes and a warm air open element air cleaner.... and maybe some fuzzy dice...... oh,... gratuitous ricer fart can out the back.

Since SCCA requires a factory hardtop for rallycross. ........ my intentions for this car have changed. Will be a daily as long as it lasts..... 217k miles.

I'm amazed at the handling of this little sucker. What a fun car to drive. If I had driven one of these 20 years ago I'd probably have a garage full of them by now.
There may be an occasional run on the autocross track.... if the Vega wagon becomes a dead horse.