Cruisin' the Smokies 4/30/16

Discussion of anything that doesn't fall into the Solo II and RallyX Categories
bugdewde

Cruisin' the Smokies 4/30/16

Post by bugdewde »

#cruisinthesmokies Smokies Stadium

Still hoping video will surface soon. I can't imagine anyone NOT videoing a "stock" Vega Wagon amongst all those nice Pro-Touring cars! Really?

Observations:
-The lil' aluminum 215 cubic inch V8 provided adequate power to the car, enough to somewhat spin the LSD on a few corners. It's lightweight virtues "outweigh" the lack of power (pun intended) vs a traditional Vega SBC V8 swap (320lbs vs 600 lbs).
-The 2.56 R&P coupled with the 3.4 first gear and short 205/60 13s seemed to work well..... I couldn't run in 2nd gear, though.... 1st gear only. Maybe a deeper gear would help off the line starts and allow running in 2nd more.... but I like the economy of the 2.56 and 0.80 overdrive.
-Obviously, treadwear ratings of 420 hurt, but the car really seemed to track well. No assing around, although I did push quite a bit when my entry speeds were too fast (yeah, I'm no good). Thinking this would allow me to go a bit larger on the rear diameter anti-sway bar, to keep entry speeds up and better steer with the throttle. I currently have the upgraded, stock Monza Spyder F-41package front bar (1.125" vs stock Vega 7/8") and the stock Vega 3/4" rear bar (Spyder rear is 7/8" - been looking for one a while).
-The upgraded, stock Monza ventilated disc brakes up front worked well. My pedals are quite close, so I couldn't two-foot the pedals. There wasn't a lot of braking on this course for me, probably because I didn't have 600 hp like most out there.
-Quicker ratio steering would have helped, too. 4.4 turns kinda sucks on a tight course. I've heard of guys using power steering boxes (2.2 turns) with the high pressure port piped to the low pressure port (no pump)... but that would suck on the street, This is a street car.

Here's my runs (cut short by rain):

1st: 54.744 (DNF - off course :lol: )... (without a walkdown of the course.... as I was a bit late getting there)
2nd: 52.076
3rd: 50.939
4th: 50.558
5th: 51.338
6th: 52.314 (attempted in 2nd gear)
7th: 52.504 +1 cone (2 second penalty added)
8th: 51.039
9th: 49.218 (fastest time of day for me) - made myself look ahead more, really works! :rockon: Shaved about a second off my previous average times.

38 cars in the streetcar class.... I placed 30th.
7 seconds behind the LS powered, DSE/Ridetech suspensioned, Wilwood/Baer braked, 335/315 BFG Rival wearin' cars.... I'll take it! :mrgreen:
Most of those guys loaded their cars onto trailers for the ride home. I cruised the Smokies all day, up to Clingman's Dome and blasted down the interstate at a full 85 mph (2500 rpm) for 50+ miles each way. Oh yeah, and I hauled all my gear in the back! (Canopy, cooler, camping chairs, change of clothes, rain gear, tarps, tools, oil, etc....)
Loaded for the return trip home.... added some 26-spline S-10 axle shafts back there, too. (future 5-lug swap).
bugdewde

Re: Cruisin' the Smokies 4/30/16

Post by bugdewde »

Video:

Not my car, but here's a video showing the issues with a Vega manual 4.4 turn steering box. This guy actually dislocated a finger on his left hand by gripping the inside of the steering wheel. Obviously, a big no-no.....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQxss6b ... AcDgK_CDmr
crappy hand held cell vid: https://youtu.be/xalwACFC8p8

Valerie (from Arizona!) was unbelievable in her 3rd gen T/A...... She came in 4th with a 45.1
https://youtu.be/r63xqMxj8Lo

I can't believe there are only 4 or 5 Cruisin' the Smokies 2016 videos on youtube..... wth?

Still hoping some video will surface of my car...... I had a buddy's GoPro on my car for one run. He hasn't loaded it yet (at cars and cones event).
TedV

Post by TedV »

:shock: 31 mph top speed?? and she was 4th, are you bull shitting?? :shock:

How many cones were hit? I noticed one in the course from a previous car that she center punched.
Oh well, any day playing with cars is a good day. Hope y'all had fun. Glad to see you and your Vega out :rockon:
Ted V.
don't make me list all my VW's
01badz28

Post by 01badz28 »

That course looked tight.

Glad you had fun with the Vega!
Ryan E. Jarrard
2001 Camaro Z28, SM #24
2011 BMW M3 Coupe
1989 BMW M3
MikeKelly

Post by MikeKelly »

bugdewde wrote:
-Quicker ratio steering would have helped, too. 4.4 turns kinda sucks on a tight course. I've heard of guys using power steering boxes (2.2 turns) with the high pressure port piped to the low pressure port (no pump)... but that would suck on the street, This is a street car.
Some of the Vega GTs had a quicker manual box, I also heard it described as a Corvette manual steering box (back in the day).

None of the quicker ratios are any easier to steer (effort).

Here's something you should research if the effort gets to be too much (exactly what I'm using): http://www.ebay.com/itm/Saturn-Vue-Ion- ... Cy&vxp=mtr
Mike Kelly
"Still got the shovel..."
--Mr. Rate
Teufelshund

Post by Teufelshund »

ETR courses are never that tight. I don't think you'll have a steering ratio problem at one of our autocrosses.
Brian Robbins
XP 45
michael.plaster

Post by michael.plaster »

That course is super cramped. I don't understand the Goodguys crowd that strictly run the small courses.
Michael Plaster
69 Corvette
bugdewde

Post by bugdewde »

Finally...... got my Video from Wracker's GoPro.

Shows my steering inputs and the course ahead.
The other Vega video I posted has the same steering box ratios that I have.... the difference is his car has S-10 spindles for 5-lug. The arms that the tie rods attach to are much longer than stock Vega spindle arms. So his turning radius is much wider than a stock Vega, eventhough he still has the same turns lock to lock (and his wheels tires are much wider further worsening the problem).

Anyway, quicker steering and better throttle input on my part AND a larger, matching Spyder rear anti-sway bar would have helped out .... enjoy... if you can.... :rockon:
https://youtu.be/Jl_SCwetGmw
Slick68

Post by Slick68 »

There's some videos my wife took on my YouTube channel. I don't think she got any videos of the Vega, though.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDP9xT ... U5JJ_KwrVA

Yes, the course was very tight and technical. Alot of guys were kind of complaining that we spent too much time turning and not enough time in the throttle.
Matt Kenner
68 C10