cheap car, van or truck needed

Items Wanted, Forsale, or For Trade
BrianChevy

cheap car, van or truck needed

Post by BrianChevy »

Friends,

A friend of mine is really hard up right now and needs to buy a super cheap ride to get to work. He doesn't care what it is, but we prefer to buy from a known person rather than off of a blind craigslist ad. Racing people are good people. Maybe somebody has something sitting in their yard that would work for him. I should say that he has been burned a bunch lately off of craiglist by people telling stories that aren't true and i am advising that we go the "network route". so we are trying my 'friends' first.

I don't mind a little work needed, like head gaskets,alignment, new tires or whatever else we might need to do for him and i sure HOPE it's ugly. cause ugly is cheaper..
And i'm talking about something Sub $500

let me know.
brianhlarose@gmail.com

Brian
<>
MARKP

Re: cheap car, van or truck needed

Post by MARKP »

for sale from a fellow autocrosser: http://lexington.craigslist.org/cto/4713403929.html

A little above the price range but might be a little negotiable too.
Mark Pilson
03 Z06 - Sword
09 Mustang - Club
01 Excursion - The safe you dropped from the 10th story
BrianChevy

Post by BrianChevy »

looks like we are on our way to lexington tomorrow to pick up a Corolla from Laura. I'll let you all know how it goes.
<>
MARKP

Post by MARKP »

Good deal. I hope it works well for you guys.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
Mark Pilson
03 Z06 - Sword
09 Mustang - Club
01 Excursion - The safe you dropped from the 10th story
BrianChevy

Post by BrianChevy »

Well friends, I'm back in the market for some help. We went to Lexington and picked up the car and trailered it home. I did a few maintenance things on it and my friend started driving it. It wasn't perfect, the Carb still needed work (i.e. rebuild) and some other various problems needed attention, but he was on the road.

After 4 days of him driving, it died. Shit the bed. Wouldn't re-fire unless you stood on the gas, i figured the carb had just lost a seal. So, I towed it back to my shop and went to buy a pull-a-part carb and do the replacement. Found a decent car at pull a part with current plates and a blown tranny and started stripping parts off it.

I've worked on this car for 4 weeks, replacing fuel pump, lots of vacuum hoses, carbs, Multiple VSV, vacuum switches and so on, it still has the same behavior. I'm getting desperate now...

Does anybody on the forum know much about Toyota 1.6L CARB engines (4-AF) and would be willing to take a look at it. I'm pretty sure it's something simple, but I am just missing it. I've gone over to Toyota Nation forums, checked EGR Valves and lots of other things and I just can't seem to get my arms around it.

I'll pay cash money for somebody to look at it if you think you have time, i REALLY need to get this car finished up and back in my friends hands. He's living at KARM and needs wheels to work on getting a job...

SIgned,
Desperate in maryville,
<>
MARKP

Post by MARKP »

I know almost nothing about carbs but my wild assed guess is a bad float.

Sent from the Galaxy.
TedV

Post by TedV »

Crud getting past the filter and making the needle not seal? If it only runs if you hold the throttle open, sounds like it is flooding. Unless it is pumping the throttle that gives fuel by the accelerator pump squirtingnin fuel, then that would mean enough fuel isn't getting to the carb.
Ted V.
don't make me list all my VW's
BrianChevy

Post by BrianChevy »

it has happened with BOTH carbs. Same problem. I expect it's a vacuum problem but there are 30 different lines.

new Fuel Filter and it's clear -- we can see that it's getting fuel from there.

good ideas though, keep em coming.
<>
dfoulk

Post by dfoulk »

I am not familiar with old Toyotas but something I have seen on other cars is a timing belt jump a few teeth and cause hard starting and having to do things like hold the pedal to the floor to get them to run.
MARKP

Post by MARKP »

Yep, messing up the cam timing would cause a vacuum issue.

Sent from the Galaxy.
BrianChevy

Post by BrianChevy »

Thanks guys, I had considered a timing belt issue but I've been trying other things first because that might be painful.. I'll tear it down and have a look.

REALLY appreciate the advice.
<>
BrianChevy

Post by BrianChevy »

The timing belt looks very new, all the teeth are intact and it doesn't look like it moved. The top 3 alignment marks are spot on, the lower one is hard to reach and I couldn't get there in a couple hours tonight, so I'll plug away at it tomorrow and see if I can get a view of it. I sure wish the japanese engineers would have added an inspection hole that's easy to get to... (maybe they did and I haven't found it yet).

still chugging away at my curse.
<>
BrianChevy

Post by BrianChevy »

good news, IT'S NOT the Timing Belt / Chain.

Bad news! It's still a mystery.

I found a cool little trick to check the bottom pulley.. Take Plug from cylinder #1 out, put gauge in and measure depth to top of engine. Rotate engine over and over and watch the numbers change higher, then lower. The LOWEST number you get, is when the engine is TOP DEAD center.. (think about it).

This was a pretty cool trick that I figured out on my own without having to tear off pulley's and stuff.

Then once engine is at Top Dead Center, i looked at the TOP inspection marks and they were DEAD ON.

So the Timing belt is not the problem.. now to re-assemble and see what else it might be..

Brian
<>
BrianChevy

Post by BrianChevy »

I've been working on this little toyota thinking the whole time that there was something wrong with the carb, that the engine was just not getting fuel as it would only run at FULL THROTTLE. i checked compression today and found the cylinders all mixed up.

Cylinder #1 - 130
Cylinder #2 - 40
Cylinder #3 - 30
Cylinder #4 - 20

Now, the make the story even more interesting, the Oil looks BEAUTIFUL and the Coolant is lovely, even with a greenish tint. There is NO chocolate milk at all anywhere..

When the engine spins over it doesn't sound bad at all, so I don't think we've got a broken cylinder wall with bits inside, i'm not really sure -- but at least I know where we are now.

I understand why it will run (barely when you floor it), it's running on 1 cylinder.. that's EXACTLY what's happening.. shish.

Does anybody think just throwing a new gasket at this will fix the problem?
<>
TedV

Post by TedV »

Time for a leak down test. So you know where the lack of compression is coming from. Toyota, I am betting rings.. Do you have a leak down tester?
Ted V.
don't make me list all my VW's