Hankook RS3V2's - SOLD

Items Wanted, Forsale, or For Trade
jdpeterson21

Hankook RS3V2's - SOLD

Post by jdpeterson21 »

Four used 255/40R17's

- Two are at 5/32"s
- Two are at 3/32"s

The bead is torn on two of these. I'm not happy about it since I went out of my way using EAG to have these dismounted. They are supposed to have the nicest tire changer in town.

I've got no idea if the tire with the larger tear (5/32" tread) is usable. I think the other with the smaller tear (3/32"s tread) is probably fine.

Not sure what to ask for these with the uneven wear and bead tears so please make an offer.

Image Image
Last edited by jdpeterson21 on Tue Jul 14, 2015 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jed Peterson
TedV

Re: Hankook RS3V2's

Post by TedV »

Damn!! I hate it when a tire gets gutted. If the person mounting these knows what he is doing, they can seal up OK. I have a can of bead seal for this purpose.

As long as the chords aren't cut, just superficial rubber, the tires will be OK.
Ted V.
don't make me list all my VW's
jdpeterson21

Post by jdpeterson21 »

Not sure. I've used a tire with a tear like that before- but that was for a truck I had a long time ago.

So the tires EAG mounted in place of these...one of the valve stems is leaking. And there's a human fist-sized hole in one of the wheel covers I use with my tire totes. Probably not going back there.
Jed Peterson
jcoatney

Post by jcoatney »

That size tire should have been easy. I charge $50 out the door to mount and balance tires just for future reference. They usually have to be left with me overnight since I work late.
Jon Coatney
03 Mach 1-CAMC 99
http://www.tennfab.com/
sentrase

Post by sentrase »

Jon,

Can your machine mount them without scratching the wheel?

Totally blows about the EAG. I've been there twice and while logistically it has been a nightmare, the wheels were undamaged. Now I'm thinking I just got lucky. Sorry Jed.

Also, I assume these were off of the STR wheels? Then I'm even more baffled, since they weren't pinched even the slightest ( not that it would make OK even then).
Kristo K.
'13 Scion FR-S
STX 53
TedV

Post by TedV »

Did you talk to EAG? The picture on the right is why your valve stem is leaking. He put the tire into the drop center at the valve stem to take it off. The guy did not know how to properly dismount and mount tires.
Ted V.
don't make me list all my VW's
jcoatney

Post by jcoatney »

sentrase wrote:Jon,

Can your machine mount them without scratching the wheel?

Totally blows about the EAG. I've been there twice and while logistically it has been a nightmare, the wheels were undamaged. Now I'm thinking I just got lucky. Sorry Jed.

Also, I assume these were off of the STR wheels? Then I'm even more baffled, since they weren't pinched even the slightest ( not that it would make OK even then).
I'm usually remounting tires on to wheels that I have powder coated so I make damn sure I don't scratch them. If I were to damage a wheel or a tire I would definitely make it right. I don't believe in unhappy customers, even if it's just a $50 job.
Jon Coatney
03 Mach 1-CAMC 99
jdpeterson21

Post by jdpeterson21 »

Yeah these are for STR wheels. The valve stems are my own fault. I gave EAG some new TPMS's to use instead of asking for standard rubber valve stems. Evidently they don't seal to these wheels as well as my OZ's. You could clearly see it leak around the stem even after remounting in the wheel. Anyway EAG made it right and replaced all of them with rubber valve stems.

Is it possible that bead damage is from when the tires were mounted?

Hey Jon, I'll remember you next time I need tires.
Jed Peterson
sentrase

Post by sentrase »

Hmm, I didn't think of that.

On the first look, while it's possible to also damage them on the dismount, it's much more likely to happen on the mount, when they stretch the tire over the wheel. So it's very possible that the tires were already damaged by the place Geoff used. People have also used those tires with no ill effects.
Kristo K.
'13 Scion FR-S
STX 53
jcoatney

Post by jcoatney »

It could have happened either way. Tires have very little to no stretch in the bead. It's up to the person mounting or dismounting them to make sure the bead is in the drop center of the wheel, or it will tear the tire or stall the machine.
Jon Coatney
03 Mach 1-CAMC 99