2004 Mazda RX-8 | CS Prepped

Items Wanted, Forsale, or For Trade
thrdeye

2004 Mazda RX-8 | CS Prepped

Post by thrdeye »

This is about the absolute cheapest you can do a nationally competitive car and CS is an incredible class to be a part of.

2004 Mazda RX-8
Grey (Titanium)
6-Speed
94500 miles
No sunroof, no traction controls.
Clean title
2820-2840 lbs. on SCCA scales

For sale AT or AFTER Nationals.

I really do like the car for autocrossing and it can hang with the rest of CS, for sure. I'm selling because I am ready for something new.
Engine
This car is on the original engine. However, it has run very strong so far and when I completed a home compression test, results were good and even on both rotors. Also, this car has been owned by responsible owners and rotary enthusiasts for its entire life so it has been treated correctly. This was Carter Thompson's car and he did really well with it. I have no reason to believe the engine is struggling or on its way out. With that said, it is an original RENESIS. I have owned the car for 10k miles and drove it to Dixie/NCM/Atlanta and back last year with no drama. It is a little oily on the bottom/front with some minor leaks, but you have to check the oil often anyway since it is a rotary, so I have never worried with it.

Exterior
Good Condition, nothing major. It's a really good "7 foot car" - Looks great from 7 feet away.
Car is grey so it looks really good for its age from a few feet.
Has some retrofitted HID's that Carter must have installed. They look good and are aimed correctly.
There are some nicks and rock chips on the hood, consistent with a 95K mile car.
There are a few small scratches on the roof from a duffel bag that I accidentally dragged across it.
Normal autocross cone scuffs.
The car did fall off the jack last year and dented the floor pan on the drivers side. I BFH'd it and sealed it up from the bottom. You wouldn't know if I didn't tell you.
I replaced the front splitter, undertray and fender mud guards last year before nationals with new parts from Mazda to the tune of $600 and mounted them using some uprated fasteners. These parts should be in good shape for some time.

Interior
A few small issues that could be corrected below:
Some very minor drivers seat bolster wear
Shift boot is a little rough with some cracks
Fuse panel near the clutch pedal is gorilla taped on due to broken tabs
Minor crack on passenger side dash above airbag
There's a lingering gear oil smell from a leak I had that got onto the exhaust. I have kinda learned to like it. :)

Problems
Airbag light is on. I planned on going in for the recall, haven't gotten to it yet. I think the light may not be related to that though as I used to be able to get it to go away by messing with the passenger seat wiring.
Once at an event, a cone hit the starter and got wedged under there. It pinned the starter wiring to the starter body and it melted through the heat shrink and killed the starter. I replaced the starter and the car will start fine 99% of the time. But every now and then, it will throw a P0335 or P0336 code (Crankshaft position sensor). You just reset the profile using the brake pedal and recrank and you are good to go.
12V lighter in front doesn't work, but the one in the center console does
Trunk release button not working
Some varmints got under the hood and chewed on the engine bay lining in some spots.

Maintenance Parts Replaced
Transmission was rebuilt just before I bought the car
Fuel Pump 88k
Amsoil Trans/Diff Fluid - 88k
Crank Position Sensor 92k

C-Street Things
BHR Ignition system at 92k. This made a huge difference in response and power. $600 new
Koni double adjustables, degassed. No leaks. I don't have a history on these shocks except that I bought them from Tom Deadey and they work well.
Bumpstops have been done with some stiffer ones, also made a good difference in the car.
Front Bar: Progress MX5 front bar (28.5mm, hollow, 3-way adjustable, 0.25" wall thickness). Bought this from Andrew Palotta (he's on the cover of Sports Car).
Green Air Filter
Isley exahust (Small Borla muffler and piping). Sounds great, and no where near blowing sound. Usually 88-89db. I have the stock one too if you want it.
17x8 OZ Allegerrita wheels (Orange). $1500 new
Autocross Alignment

Stock Parts Come with car:
Shocks
Orignial 18 in wheels (scuffed pretty bad from being hit by a CAM truck, but straight, could be reapired ad powdercoated and look good)
Muffler
A bunch of spares sent to me by the Thompsons - coil packs, brake pads, endlinks, etc.

History
As mentioned, this car has been in good hands its entire life. I don't know how well Carter did with it when in BS, but I think very well. I am a hack and have had it in the trophies at several tours and placed 11th at Nationals in 2015. I have a large spreadsheet with records back to 26,000 miles. The car has been driven correctly for a rotary (revved out frequently) and has been well maintained.

Pricing
Package $6500
minus BHR Ignition $6100
minus OZ's $5800 (you'll need to buy some 18 inch tires for the stock wheels)
minus BHRs/OZ's - $5400
Shocks and Swaybar are staying on. Don't feel like removing them.

Tires
Coming with the OZs will be some 120 run RE71s
Available for a price yet to be determined will be some 30 ish run RE71s

Videos

Tons of videos of the car here - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNjBSN ... =dd&view=0

More pics upon request

Chris Harp
2009 Mazda RX-8 | 2018 Toyota Tundra | 2011 BMW M3
RxCritical

Re: 2004 Mazda RX-8 | CS Prepped

Post by RxCritical »

Damnit, who am I going to benchmark myself with now??? :mrgreen:
Paul M.
C8 #34 SS
Team Canopy
thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

RxCritical wrote:Damnit, who am I going to benchmark myself with now??? :mrgreen:
You should still be able to use me :D
Chris Harp
thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

Pics added

Tires
Coming with the OZs will be some 120 run RE71s
Available for a price yet to be determined will be some 30 ish run RE71s
Chris Harp