Freedom Hall in Johnson City, TN

Discussion of the search for new Solo II pavement.
thrdeye

Freedom Hall in Johnson City, TN

Post by thrdeye »

Heather sent this along and knows quite a bit about the condition of the lots, etc. The lot at the top of the complex seems promising, but there are 3-4 chunks of pavement here. Grid and paddock space would be avialable off of the actual run surface.

http://www.google.com/maps?hl=en&q=free ... 59&iwloc=A
Chris Harp
2009 Mazda RX-8 | 2018 Toyota Tundra | 2011 BMW M3
MARKP

Post by MARKP »

We ran there once, probably 15 years ago. No idea why we never went back. From what I remember, the lot was a decent size.
Mark Pilson
03 Z06 - Sword
09 Mustang - Club
01 Excursion - The safe you dropped from the 10th story
thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

There are 3 or four lots around there. Would be a good place to hold a school.....we could possibly get two lots going at once for that. One lot as a timed course, the other with "training maneuvers" :D
Chris Harp
scottgib

Post by scottgib »

The rectangular lot is roughly 300' x 400' with I think two light poles. Nice.
But there is no access to a reasonable paddock area that I could see. The two lots are not connected except by public streets.

Same issue with the roundish lot.

The other one is a little small -- 300' x 230' but it does have an adjacent paddock area.

What is this facility? Seems to have a ton of tennis courts.
Old men can still dream!

Scott Gibson
Wiggles

Post by Wiggles »

Freedom Hall is their "Civic Center" and then there are 2 schools in the same complex- Science Hill High and Liberty Bell Middle
The lot closest to the baseball field is a bit rough (WIlliam Blount) Fine for parking / paddock but rough to run on. HB
HB
thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

Scott did you look at the lot that is on Liberty Bell BLvd???
Chris Harp
scottgib

Post by scottgib »

No I didn't but just did. If the pavement is decent that might work assuming we could get the school lot on the right of the school for paddock (out of site from the potential course due to the trees). We could grid on the road.

The lot ranges from 150' to 290' wide and is roughly 390 feet long. It is on the small side. I can't tell if there are any poles or medians.
Old men can still dream!

Scott Gibson
Dentspeed

Post by Dentspeed »

On the subject of surface, there were spots in Topeka that were grooved to even it out and then sealed. It looked like it was fairly grippy, but smooth. That might be something for a lot with deteriorated asphalt. Just a thought.
2010 MINI Cooper S, DS
Trey
JayP

Post by JayP »

MARKP wrote:We ran there once, probably 15 years ago. No idea why we never went back. From what I remember, the lot was a decent size.
The lot was somewhat rough and on a slope. Since it's been the 15 years, it may have been repaved but there's nothing they can do about that slope.
MARKP

Post by MARKP »

Wow, all the way from Texas! :o

I guess you haven't seen what we run on these days. Pellissipi State is on a slope and we used to run at Farragut High School which is a BIG slope. We're sort of used to dealing with hills these days.

I remember the slope but don't remember it being very bad. I agree it was rough but I would bet it has been repaved by now.

Did you run with us up there?
Mark Pilson
03 Z06 - Sword
09 Mustang - Club
TedV

Post by TedV »

I cruised the lots there a few months back and none really seemed good enough to run on, too small or too rough. It was late in the evening tho.
Ted V.
don't make me list all my VW's
JayP

Post by JayP »

MARKP wrote:Wow, all the way from Texas! :o

Did you run with us up there?
Yea- I used to drive the white MGB in DSP that you and Ted regularly ran over with the Sciroccos. I lived in Kingsport but made the trip to Knoxville in the early to mid 90's. I had an old Audi I used to drive too.

I like to check in here from time to time and see what's going on.
MARKP

Post by MARKP »

Oh, yeah! I remember you more from the Audis than the MG. The unusual stuff seems to stick with me and I loved watching the Audi transition to oversteer coming out of the turns.
Mark Pilson
03 Z06 - Sword
09 Mustang - Club
JayP

Post by JayP »

That's me. I left for a job in Dallas in 1996. I tried to autox here with the local SCCA and another sports car group. It was too hot and too competitive- I was almost accused of cheating at my first event because they used a +2 rule for R comps and the tech failed to catch it.

I miss the laid back events in TN... hope that's still the case.

I'm doing driving events now, 10+ years and been an instructor for most of that. Still driving Audis- on my 4th, with some others in for something different.