Blount Co. Sheriff's Department Police Academy

Discussion of the search for new Solo II pavement.
01badz28

Blount Co. Sheriff's Department Police Academy

Post by 01badz28 »

If I may direct your attention to page B3 of today's Knoxville News Sentinel, it appears that Blount Co. is opening a new Police Academy on Sept. 3. It appears to have a driver training area (the pictures show a couple of Crown Vics training on a freshly paved lot). I have no other information, but it may be worth pursuing.

Here is the web article: http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2007/aug/0 ... near-home/
Ryan E. Jarrard
2001 Camaro Z28, SM #24
2011 BMW M3 Coupe
1989 BMW M3
scottgib

Post by scottgib »

Wayne?
Old men can still dream!

Scott Gibson
whenry

Post by whenry »

I had previously posted about this lot and asked if anyone in ETR had any "special" connections with the BCSD or similar entity. I got no responses. Obviously it would be easier to ask about the lot if you knew the Sheriff or someone high up in that department. Does anyone have any contact with Karl Miller? He might be able to give us a name if he is still interested in autocross.
I will wait a day or so for any responses and then try to make a cold call if necessary. My Sheriff is out of town on vacation but I may be able to use him as a contact when he returns.
Wayne Henry
East Tenn Region, SCCA
2006 MX-5 Limited
the rest of the garage:
1984 Mazda RX-7 GSL-SE
1996 Toyota 4runner
TonyBolton

Post by TonyBolton »

I may have something, not real sure. Someway/somehow i'm related to or he's a friend of the family to Tony Crisp. He's the Maryville Police Chief. I became aware of him when my Integra was stolen and he got involved.

My mom and grandmother seem to know him well, i'll see if I can get some information from them later on.
whenry

Post by whenry »

Tony Crisp is very close to the Sheriff of Blount County(he is now the Chief of Police for Maryville but was formerly the Chief Deputy of the Blount County Sheriff Department) and could be influential in the decision.
Wayne Henry
East Tenn Region, SCCA
2006 MX-5 Limited
the rest of the garage:
1984 Mazda RX-7 GSL-SE
1996 Toyota 4runner
TonyBolton

Post by TonyBolton »

So what you're sayin' is the more i'm involved with the Police, the better it is for the SCCA? :) Remember that when I need another "favor". ;)
whenry

Post by whenry »

IF you can deliver the training lot.
Wayne Henry
East Tenn Region, SCCA
2006 MX-5 Limited
the rest of the garage:
1984 Mazda RX-7 GSL-SE
1996 Toyota 4runner
TonyBolton

Post by TonyBolton »

whenry wrote:IF you can deliver the training lot.
:P

Well, i'll be sure and ask them if their siren's set off the sound meter, we don't wanna be too loud on that very usefull DB meter of course. :roll:
TonyBolton

Post by TonyBolton »

I've spoken with Tony Crisp about this lot and he says he doesn't see why it could not be used without a conflicting schedule. However, he is not the YES or NO man for site aquisition.

They lease the lot from another person/company, and he would have to go through them to get an official answer. I am awaiting a call back.
MARKP

Post by MARKP »

TonyBolton wrote:I've spoken with Tony Crisp about this lot and he says he doesn't see why it could not be used without a conflicting schedule.
:rockon:
Mark Pilson
03 Z06 - Sword
09 Mustang - Club
01 Excursion - The safe you dropped from the 10th story
TonyBolton

Post by TonyBolton »

We'll see. I forgot to ask the actual dimensions/location of this lot. Is there anything aerial we could look at?
thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

Good job Tony.
Chris Harp
2009 Mazda RX-8 | 2018 Toyota Tundra | 2011 BMW M3
disneyd
Site Admin

Post by disneyd »

Anyone know the address or general area that it's in?
- Dave Disney
TonyBolton

Post by TonyBolton »

"off 321" is about all I can remember. :(
01badz28

Post by 01badz28 »

The BCSO is located at 940 E. Lamar Alexander Parkway, but the images don't show anything around there that looks like this lot:

I think it is fairly new, so there may not be any overhead images available for it yet.

Edit: Oh yeah, from their website:

The Sheriff’s Office and Air National Guard continue to upgrade and expand the firing range and training facility, which is located off County Farm Road in west Blount County. The training facility encompasses 33.8 acres. A five acre driving track is scheduled for completion in spring 2006, and will be used for Emergency Vehicle Operations Courses (EVOC) for officers, as well as other emergency service providers in Blount County.

http://www.bcso.com/divisions/training.aspx
Ryan E. Jarrard
2001 Camaro Z28, SM #24
2011 BMW M3 Coupe
1989 BMW M3