McMinn Co. High School (pics)

Discussion of the search for new Solo II pavement.
TonyBolton

McMinn Co. High School (pics)

Post by TonyBolton »

scottgib

Post by scottgib »

Kinda hard to piece those together in my mind (Stu says as usual). What is the potential and how does it compare to other lots we have used?

Aren't you going in the wrong direction hunting houses?
Old men can still dream!

Scott Gibson
TonyBolton

Post by TonyBolton »

scottgib wrote:Kinda hard to piece those together in my mind (Stu says as usual). What is the potential and how does it compare to other lots we have used?
Well, I see this being used as a "default" lot. Certainly not an optimal one after Adesa/Bristol/full Smokies lot.

The pictures are kinda uplaoded BACKWARDS. :( If you start at the last picture, you can kinda see where i'm standing and i'm moving down the lot(use the yellow thing on the stadium for reference and the two trucks if need be).

I could see a decent 2 lap course being put on there with a fast "Oak Ridge Mall" sweeper with a few of something else wherever. The Lot is kinda shaped like the state of Tennessee.

When I ran there last time, the pavement was pretty grip and was certainly easy on tires. Kinda shocked Carter Thompson and myself as we both were hating it to begin with. Afterwards, we had nothing but positives to say(given the lot size).

I mean, if Chatt. Region is making due with the Chatt. St. lot, they'd probably jump over a 40ft lake of fire for this.

I'm not saying this lot should replace Bristol as the best lot, but it could be used to just have some fun and not try to create the ultimate autocross course.

This lot also has HUGE paddock area. The kicker is that damn raised concrete sidwalk(near the speedbumps/gate in the pictures). If that bastard wasn't there, OH MAN!!! Got a couple light poles, but I don't think thats stopped you guys from running that Elizabethton event.
Aren't you going in the wrong direction hunting houses?
We didn't find anything down there, but I was only going on a few word of mouth hints from various people. We found a nice 2 story, 2 car garage out past Lenoir City High School that i'm going to inquire some more about.
TonyBolton

Post by TonyBolton »

Heres a shot from the PCA event there, may help, may not...

Its that "ORM sweeper" I was trying to relate. Below is my picture of that section(as best as I could get). The car above is at the tallest tree in this picture. (more pictures at: http://smt.pca.org/2006AthensAX/images/index1.htm )

TonyBolton

Post by TonyBolton »

Soooooo, does this look worth pursuing?
scottgib

Post by scottgib »

That question should be posed to the new Solo Chairperson. 8)
Last edited by scottgib on Sun Dec 09, 2007 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Old men can still dream!

Scott Gibson
TonyBolton

Post by TonyBolton »

Hmmm, he's late to respond in this thread. There's strike ONE. :twisted:
gbwrx

Post by gbwrx »

You mean he was the 1st to respond to this thread.
2013 WRX
Jbgti

Post by Jbgti »

It looks king of like a William Blount lot to me but sounds like waaaaaay better pavement.
03' VW GTI 1.8T
20th Anniv. IY
STS # 33
PushinTheLimit

Post by PushinTheLimit »

Any word on this location yet?
Michael Smith
C5 Z06
ST2 #10
TonyBolton

Post by TonyBolton »

goldeneagle_10 wrote:Any word on this location yet?
I think the word is "nothing". We need to have a meeting on whether or not to call and ask if we could use the lot. ;)
MARKP

Post by MARKP »

TonyBolton wrote:I think the word is "nothing". We need to have a meeting on whether or not to call and ask if we could use the lot. ;)
If you are going to be the new solo chairman, then go ahead and make contact. :lol:
Mark Pilson
03 Z06 - Sword
09 Mustang - Club
01 Excursion - The safe you dropped from the 10th story
TonyBolton

Post by TonyBolton »

MARKP wrote:If you are going to be the new solo chairman, then go ahead and make contact. :lol:
I was told before that I should let the higher powers make the contacts and let them do the PR for the group.

I'm not even an SCCA member, I can't even chair an event, much less the whole Region. ;)
MARKP

Post by MARKP »

TonyBolton wrote:
MARKP wrote:If you are going to be the new solo chairman, then go ahead and make contact. :lol:
I was told before that I should let the higher powers make the contacts and let them do the PR for the group.

I'm not even an SCCA member, I can't even chair an event, much less the whole Region. ;)
EXACTLY!!

With nobody steering the boat, it's hard to decide where to drop anchor. First thing, first. We need a solo chairman so we don't confuse potential site owners with contact from several different people.
Mark Pilson
03 Z06 - Sword
09 Mustang - Club
01 Excursion - The safe you dropped from the 10th story
TonyBolton

Post by TonyBolton »

You guys should pay my 75$ fee and i'd be an awesome chair person. ;)